Jack711

Reaction score
Having looked through many threads on here I've got the impression that the "counter" mentality is not the be all and end all of counter-attacking tactics. Other as infinitely mysterious and perplexing aspects of the match engine included the ideas of "width" and "tempo" - really, what the **** do they actually mean?

Three versions of FM and many wasted hours later, I've come up with the tactics below, with the idea being that all three of the above are combined so that the team is set up to attack sharply with no obsession with possession:

View attachment 379771

View attachment 379770

Team instructions:
- Pass into space is a very attacking option, encouraging through balls into space.
- Run at defence asks attacking players to beat their man, hopefully helping create 1v1 situations between attackers and creators.
- Play narrower means that high tempo passes will be less likely to go astray, while also concentrating more attackers against fewer defenders (especially if the opposition is playing wider.)
- Drop deeper creates more space to be exploited by through balls and fast attackers.
- Hassle opponents stops opposition playmakers from taking their time over decisions.
- Higher tempo encourages one-touch passes in a bid to bypass defenders.

Mentalities of "standard" and "defensive" are not necessarily negative and Jose Mourinho-esque. They just ensure that there is space to be exploited (and also helpfully reduce your chances of conceding.) Of course average player mentality is more defensive, but this is partially offset by the attacking team instructions. Fluid philosophy encourages defending as a team.

With regards to the formations, no they're not 4-2-3-1, and no I've not tried it with a 4-2-3-1 because it's not particularly helpful when it comes to defending and winning the ball back. I'd imagine you could sub in a different formation, so long as it's balanced. Same goes for player instructions; setting every other player to attack duty probably won't work, so ensure that there's a fair balance between defend, attack and support.

The game has a reputation for ruining the traditional role of the goal scoring striker, but the AF seems to do a decent job of chasing, passing and, of course, actually scoring. He just needs some through balls and the odd-cross.

I've used it with Liverpool and am 1st after 10 games against mostly weaker teams. Got thrashed 4-1 Arsenal away and lost 3-1 Middlesbrough (yes, Middlesbrough) away in the FA Cup, but won all the rest with a total goal difference of 20-6. No doubt that it will stop working halfway through the season when the AI works it out, but it's done all right so far.

No download - just copy the screenshots. No player instructions as they just complicate everything, but add your own if you reckon they'll help and tell me how you get on!

Teams to use it with would be those with fast attackers - Giroud, Lambert, or Andy Carroll probably won't cut it as an AF. Say if you find anything to add!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: