Spiritofsteau

Reaction score
View attachment 21311Hello i'm looking for advice here. I have created this tactic to try and hold on to possession and penetrate teams down the left and through the middle, im looking for crosses from the left winger and im also hoping he stretches play allowing the box to box midfielder to make inroads into the final third occupying any dm's.. in turn allowing the inside forward to run at the defence to play a throughball or take a shot with the rightsided fullback providing an option if the shot or throughball is not on to provide a cross from the right i'm wondering if anyone can see any glaring problems? one I have identified myself is that advanced forwards move wider which is not something I want as i need him to stay central to push the centrebacks back towards their own goal creating space for my midfielders and inside forward but the poacher comes to deep and the target man acts a ball magnet which does not suit my possession orientated system. any advice would be appreciated.. thankyou.

Initial thoughts from me:

Wanting to stretch the width and encourage crosses I wouldn't use Shorter Passing, Work ball Into box (which discourages crosses) or even Lower tempo. My reasoning being, you want to get the ball wide and into space to get the Winger running pretty early in your build-up. With that formation, it isn't a 'short pass' to the winger and Work Ball Into Box is telling them to pass it into the box, so discourages wingers to attempt a cross.

Playing the High D-Line and LoE, have you tried a Pressing Forward in the Striker position? He will tend to pres the DCs and therefore be more central for you.

A Mezala rather than BBM could give more options attacking the half-space as well, reducing the need for the ST to drift.

Initial thoughts from me:

Wanting to stretch the width and encourage crosses I wouldn't use Shorter Passing, Work ball Into box (which discourages crosses) or even Lower tempo. My reasoning being, you want to get the ball wide and into space to get the Winger running pretty early in your build-up. With that formation, it isn't a 'short pass' to the winger and Work Ball Into Box is telling them to pass it into the box, so discourages wingers to attempt a cross.

Playing the High D-Line and LoE, have you tried a Pressing Forward in the Striker position? He will tend to pres the DCs and therefore be more central for you.

A Mezala rather than BBM could give more options attacking the half-space as well, reducing the need for the ST to drift.

Thankyou so much i've took your team instruction advice and it seems alot quicker and more direct in attack im hesitant to change my box to box though because he offers quite a lot defensively aswell and with me being weak on the wings I think I need a solid midfield

Thankyou so much i've took your team instruction advice and it seems alot quicker and more direct in attack im hesitant to change my box to box though because he offers quite a lot defensively aswell and with me being weak on the wings I think I need a solid midfield

Glad to help, and I like your thinking on the BBM. The Box-to-Box and the Mez are quite similar roles, but the BBM does have more defensive responsibility. I often switch the two roles depending on opposition - against stronger teams I use BBM and weaker team a Mez.