Gazzmophonic

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I am seeking a little advice from the collection of experts here on how to turn my season around a little. I am playing AFC Telford and we have, through successive promotions, made it to the Premier League. Getting to the Championship was relatively simple, but I made it to the Premier League through a last gasp playoff win :) All of this was done through free transfers (well - 95% anyway).

To my point - I am now in the season 2014/2015, I have a modest transfer budget (5 M) and a bit of leeway with the wage budget (I could probably squeeze in another 50 - 60 K pw after selling a bit of deadwood in the next transfer window).

My problem is: I can't win. I can't really draw. I am losing a lot. I think the correct phrase to use would be "I am getting pwned in the face". I seem to be able to score goals (1 per match usually - often from crosses or corners), but I am conceding at a rate of knots. I tend to hold ~ 45 - 50% of the possession, but I get off far fewer shots. I believe my main problem is my old, slow players, and particularly my slow defenders - but please feel free to point out my teams other shortcomings if you can spot them:

I am playing a flat 4-4-2 at the moment (though I have tried 4-3-2-1, 4-2-3-1 and slight variations thereof). Usually balanced philosophy, with defensive or counter strategy. Direct passing, disciplined creative freedom, standing off, aggressive tackling, zonal marking, default crossing, roaming: stick to position. I play a deep defensive line to try to make up for my slow players. Opposition players walk through my defence as if they were invited.

This is my preferred lineup:

GK: Tomás Cerný

DR: Alassane També (FB, def); DC: Sébastian Puygrenier (CB, def); DC: Titus Bramble (CB, def); DL: Joleon Lescott (FB, def).

ML: Ismaël Fofana/Anthony Ihou (Wing, Att); MC: Xavi (35 yrs old!, DLPM, sup) or MC: John Bostock (B-2-B, supp); MC: Borja/Ross Barkley (BWMF, def); MR: Christopher Maboulou/El-Hadji Diouf (Wing, Att)

Strikers: Scott McDonald (Poacher), Mikael Antoine-Curier (DLF/Trqart/?), Regen (target man - he is OK).

(Available subs worth mentioning: Loïc Landre (DC), Juanra (D/WB R), Luke McCullough (DCR), Matt Hill (DL), Regen (next Xavi - but stronger and faster, IMO). The rest are young regens picked up from premier league teams after they were released - nobody great really).

So - based on this limited info - could anyone provide any suggestions as to how to tighten things up a bit? Any suggested purchases in the next (Jan) transfer window?

Like I said - I managed to brute force my way through the lower leagues, but I think I am in need of some sort of tactical help here. I haven't played a football management sim since Premier Manager 3!! :)

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Cheers

Gaz

p.s. This is a great site. Lots of enthusiastic gamers and lots of good advice.