stevenvdijk

Reaction score
View attachment 205725

Background

After many crisis years in September 2012 it was Johan Cruyff who managed with his influence to initiate big changes at Ajax, which has been called since as the 'velvet revolution'. The board and management at that time had to leave due to pressure from all sides and Cruyff's plan to put more ex-football players on key positions in the club was put forward. At that time Frank de Boer was already the manager, assisted by Dennis Bergkamp. With the Cruyff plan also Marc Overmars (Technical Director), Edwin van der Sar (General Director) and Wim Jonk (Head of Youth Development) were appointed, according to his vision to get former Ajax players leading the club.

The Cruyff plan had 4 key objectives:
  • Ajax plays attractive football
  • Ajax uses a realistic transfer policy that in first instance looks at their own youth academy and furthermore only buys players when needed - with low financial risks (don't buy, but produce star players)
  • Ajax seeks to have the best youth academy in the world
  • Ajax uses an individual approach for the total-football-player (Technique-Vision-Personality-Fysique), for both youth and first team.
In the way the club should achieve these objective there was a big role for the so called 'Technical Heart'. A team formed by the Head Coach and his assistent, the Technical Director and the Head of Youth Development. With these four roles discussing the daily operations it should, according to Cruyff, be very straight forward to reach the objectives. A setup which he actually already has proven with the Barcelona model he had put in place before.

Now in 2015 another crisis has hit Ajax. The first squad has not lived up the the main objectives (no attractive football, and many players have been bought who did not add any value to the team) - but even more there has been a lack of cooperation within the Technical Heart which has lead to the board of Ajax wanting to fire Wim Jonk.
In his weekly column a the dutch newspaper Johan Cruyff has reviewed that actually only Wim Jonk (HoYD) is still standing for his vision and plan - which has put a bomb again under the current situation. Jonk apparently has refused to take part of the technical heart meeting, as he fundamentally disagree with the way Overmars has managed things in the past year.

In a report that was conducted by former Ajax player Tscheu La Ling to analyse the problems at Ajax, it became clear that many decisions have been taken outside the technical heart which were not in line with the key points of the Cruyff plan.

Main finding of the report was also that Overmars has bought many players which have not added value to the team - and are now also blocking youth players to break through to the main squad. Some latest examples of this are Zimling, Sanago, Duarte, Onana, Sinkgraven and Vd Hoorn.
Also the main squad, led by Frank de Boer, has not played attractive football over the past years. Even though FdB has been successful with 4 national championships, it has become more and more an irritation of the fans - and Cruyff - that Ajax has achieved this with unattractive football. On top of that within Europe Ajax has played a very minimal role in the last 5 years. Dropping out of the european competitions most of the times already after group stages.

For Wim Jonk (and Cruyff) it is very in favour that actually the Ajax -19 squad has now transformed itself to be on of the best teams in Europe. Playing very attractive football and winning recently from other big -19 teams like Barcelona, PSG and Schalke 04.

FM 16 Challenge: complete the Cruyff Plan and bring succes for Ajax in Europe.

With the start of the 2015/2016 season I will take over as head coach for Ajax, to fully implement the Cruyff Plan and (hopefully) bring Ajax back to be a leading team in Europe. The main starting points will be to stay true to the 4 key objectives as stated above, but also to bring back the Technical Heart as intended with recommended responsibilities as stated in the report from Tscheu la Ling.

For this I will use the Backroom Advice possibility to be the Technical Heart of Ajax and I have set a weekly meeting structure for this. In terms of responsibilities I will fully follow the intention of the technical heart which will mean the following settings for me and the rest of the staff:

Senior Squad Manager (me):
- training & caching first team

Director of Football:
- budgets, including salaries
- contracts first team players
- transfers (in/out)
- scouting

Head of Youth Development
- development youth players
- scouting of youth players
- transfers of youth players
- budget and contracts of youth players

All main decision need to be taken by the Technical Heart together - so my main task is to ensure that 'we' all agree on the tactic, players and new signings.
As you can see there will be a lot of responsibilities that I would be given out of hand to the HoYD and DoF.
In setting the staff responsibilities I will keep myself as end responsible for finalising the youth and first team signings. This way i can ensure every youth signing is approved by me and the DoY (via a positive scout report) - and every first team signing is approved by me and the HoYD (again via a positive scout report).

Furthermore I will start the game by firing Marc Overmars (current Director of Football) and Hennie Spijkerman (assistent of current Head coach). The first one because according to the report of Tscheu la Ling he has been the main guy not following with plan. Also i can't fire the board (which i would have loved to do), so in order to get some impact firing Overmars is the least i can do :)
Letting Hennie Spijkerman go was not part of the recommendations, but since him and Frank de Boer were more or less a tandem i don't think it is realistic that he will stay once FdB is gone.

So, all things said - now its time to get started!

Last edited:
As first action I have setup a new technical heart. For Director of Football I have promoted Tonny Bruins Slot, who was currently scout. TBS actually looks to be a very good DoF because of his stats (man.mngmt, judging potential and current ability) - but maybe even more important for this challenge is that he is 'camp Cruyff', so i have that also covered :)
Furthermore I have promoted Dennis Bergkamp from trainer to be the assistent manager and have given Wim Jonk a new contract, so ensure he will not be kidnapped away by bigger clubs.

In the OP I have already explained the idea of the technical heart, which I have applied to the settings as follows:

View attachment 205694
As you can see there will be not much responsibilities for me in this setup, which will make it to quite a challenge to be honest. I'm putting a lot of trust in my partners. However I can still use my veto when it comes to signing new players if I think they will not add anything to the team - and of course go for young potential star players, which is key to the plan.

Also in my introduction with the chairman I have requested some adjustments to the club's philosophy, to ensure I am also be measured on Plan Cruyff:
View attachment 205695

This should cover all the main objectives of the plan. Next up will be the tactics!

Last edited:
The tactics I'm going to use will be a 4-3-3 (or 4-1-2-3 to be more specific). There is going to be an important role for the wingers in this tactic. They need to be getting in one-vs-one situations with the opposite defenders, use their dribble and acceleration to pass them and then create chances for the strikers and the upcoming midfielders.

I have based the tactic on the three following pieces:

- The current tactics applied in the A1 Youth Team
- The match highlights of Ajax U19 - Barcelona U19 (you can find that on youtube)
- And the great explanation on the Strikerless blog on counter pressing, as this is what you can also see happening in the above match: Counter-Pressing In FM16 | Strikerless

View attachment 205555

View attachment 205552

As you can see in the screenshots its quite an attacking mentality, but it makes most sense looking at the various settings to have this as a base tactic.
I have also tried to make a most controlling version (433 CM) and a defensive variant (433 DM) when I'm up against the big shots - but i might need to tweak that more that just a difference of mentality which is the only change so far.

The link to the tactic is in the attachment.

Now its game on!

Really impressive start, looking forward to seeing how you go!

Pre-season settings

The first objective is to get the players as fast as possible familiar with the tactics, so I have put the training as follows:
Pre-match: match tactics - 50%
General: fitness - high

For the remaining of the season I will keep Fitness as an important training and rotate it with Tactics and Team Cohesion to ensure the players have enough stamina to execute the pressing in the best possible way.

Even though its out of my control I could see that Wim Jonk in the U19 training has put a lot of emphasise on Fitness as well, combined with Ball Control - so thats good to see that happening :)

Start of the season - Champions League qualification, CHECK!

The start of the season is promising! A couple of good matches against amateur teams to get the familiarity and confidence up. The first 3 matches in the dutch league gave me 7 points, but maybe even more important we have managed to qualify rather easy for the Champions League!

View attachment 205451

IN..
Furthermore we managed to get some more old-players in who can add some extra expertise; Ronald de Boer as attacking coach for the first team and Finidi George as scout, to get our knowledge up in Spain and especially in Nigeria (would be great to get a new winger from that country, as i have always loved the flair and style of play).
Both guys of course member of the great class of '95, so good to expend the team with some legends.

View attachment 205448
View attachment 205447

and OUT...

Also to make sure the big talents get enough matches to play we have put a lot of less 'gifted' players out for a loan, so they can't block the better ones from making their minutes in the U19 or Reserves.

View attachment 205446

Of course as it is part of my assignment to give youth a chance I will try wherever possible to let young players join in first team matches.

Main squad - choices, choices, choices...

This all means that for the first team I will be looking more at the Potential Ability than Current Ability for selecting my starting eleven, because I want a team that has the potential to reach the Half Final of the Champions League in 2018.

My main team is therefore most of time looking as follows:
View attachment 205443

As the tactics demands quite some energy of my players it will be actually more a rotation game for the first season, so in the long run the idea is to get to a strong and versatile quad of 18 to 19 players - where youth players can be added in case of injuries or when a big talent is breaking through.

Last edited: