All I want to be is a Football Manager. - My Story, My Career, My Journey.

Van Tournhout

Reaction score
The Decision..

Yeah, so since i've been five years old and went to my first ever football game with my father, all i've wanted to be is a football manager - well not's not entirely true, it was to become a professional football player but I never got round to that, I was too lazy, out of shape. I never really had the discipline at my young age, but come on. You know what it's like being a teenager/becoming a man, you just want to party - go out with your friends. Ofcourse, I regret it now because around thhe age of ten-twelve, they said I had real talent, what you going to do? Cant live in the past, it's all about the future.

Ok, now? Im twenty six years old, i've been in the same job for the last five years working at my local fitness centre. Not as a trainer, more behind the counter - dealing with memberships and things like that, you know. Dealing with the public, the pay isn't the greatest but it's enough to keep me going I suppose and I get a free membership to the centre, which I occasionally use. I got my weekends to myself, where Il meet up with mates, to go and watch the mighty East Stirlingshire..yeah that's right - we're the worst team in Scotland and wats your point? Il support them for all of my days.

Anyways, after the match we will hit the town having a few drinks and your usual weekend banter with your mates, so pretty much a normal life then. But recently, i've been wanting a change - ive been wanting soomething to massively change in my life. Im fed up of the same thing everyday, earning "just enough" to keep me on my feet. I wanted to do something good, I wanted to be a football manager, why? Simple. Not just will I turn my life around, I will enjoy my work and make up for that wasted talent I had all those years ago.

So yeah, how am I going to get this ball rolling? Just like every other job, make up a cv and send them out to every club out there who's willing to listen. I've already handed my notice into the centre, no going back now. My CV's been sent out, im just waiting on something, just something to come up..

2qxcjtz.jpg

You've Got Mail...

After weeks and weeks of sitting about, regretting about what I done - suddenly an opportunity arrised. I had recieved word back from a team down south who was interested in what I had to say/offer. They found it unique that someone with no experiance like myself had put so much effort and commitment into trying to become a football manager, they was willing to hear me out, give me an opportunity - everyone deserves one chance. This was mine.

They arranged to meet with me at a Hotel, which was out the way of public viewing - keeping this obviously quiet. I mean this is big news, a professional football team, offering someone like me the time of day, sure I havn't been offered the job, but the opportunities there. If I impress then I just may aswell have the job. I had to remain calm, I couldn't blow it - I didn't even tell my family or friends it was that hush. I got a flight the next morning from Glasgow to England..

Now im sure you wondering why I havn't mentioned who the club is, what league there in or any details about them at all, apart from there in England. Well that's just because I aint wanting to jinx myself, the moment I get the job, I will scream it out and make sure everyone in the world knows, but until then I aint saying nothing. Plus it keeps you guessing.

The interview went well, they seemed impress by my commitment, my ambition and the goals I would have for the club. We seemed to have alot in common and left on very good terms, but did I do enough? Have I done enough to convince a professional football club to give me a chance, an opportunity? I dont know, we're going to have to wait and see - they said they would call me. For the next couple of weeks, my eyes arn't going to leave my display screen on my phone.

289bhi1.jpg

The Phone Call...

Sitting in the living-room, feet up on the table while on the laptop playing one of my favourite games "Football manager 2012" - quite ironic, huh? Im addicted to this game, I dont think theres been a day when i've not been on it for at least an hour and with me having no job and having to get the parents to help me out with some cash, it seems ive got more than enough time to sit on it at the moment.

Im currently East Stirlingshire, playing in the second division of Scotland after winning the third division the season before. I think im a general mastermind at this game, it makes you forget about reality - when I won the league with East Stirling, I had to remind myself it wasn't real but one day, one day my mighty team will raise out of the bottom league and lose the "worst team in Scotland" tag we have to our name.

It was during this session of football manager, in the middle of a cup-tie against Dundee United in the 4th round, my phone started to ring. I quickly pause the game, before answering my phone.

Me - "Hello..?"

Caller - "Yes, Mr.Muir?"

Me - "Yeah, that's right."

Caller - "It's **** calling you, we liked what we seen from the other night. Very impressed and you also show the same ambitions for our club. We know it's a long shot, but our club needs something different to get us where we want to be."

Me - "..I cant believe it, I mean seriously?"

Caller - "Yes, seriously. You better starting believing it, you've got the job."

Me - "Holy s**t. Thanks so much for this opportunity.."

Caller - "Alright, get a flight ready and get down here for the end of this week. We've got alot of things to discuss."

Me - "Sure, Sure. Thanks again."

Caller - "See you soon."

I got the job!! I was ecstatic, I seriously cant believe it! I mean me, myself - Im the new manager of....Oh that's right, i've been keeping it quiet from you. Well il let you know soon enough, keep you guessing for that much longer, but wait until you hear it - I simply can not believe it. Im in charge of a professional football cclub in England.

I've got to get things packed, get things ready and ofcourse make everyone aware of whats happening - friends and family, I cant wait to see there faces. The media?! What are they going to think?! What an experiance, this is a chance of a life time and im not letting it slip through my fingers. Im going to become the best manager the worlds ever seen, just you watch...

9thnhu.jpg

My New Home..

That's right - the club who gave me the opportunity was n-Power League 1 side, Carlisle United. What a chance i've got here, I mean seriously - Carlisle have a very strong squad and have got a real chance of making the promotion play-offs this season aslong as we can keep our players fit. Now if anyone was expecting of someone bigger, or that im over-reacting then seriously have a word with yourself. An un-experianced manager getting a job with a League One side? Now that's what i call amazing.

Now that im here and settled in with my new flat, it's time to get to know the boys and whos going to be in my team and whos not going to be. I want to get a good idea of the players and see what, if any positions need strengthend. We do look like we could score goals however, with Liam Miller, Francois Zoko and Rory Loy all looking more than capable to bang the goals in.

The players was brilliant, making me feel right at home and making an effort. They didn't care about any past experiance or the fact im only twenty-six which is young for a football manager, they took the fact I was the new gaffer and accepted it. They just want to play football, which is the right attitude. After a few days of training, it seemed we could use a little bit more "creativity" in our team and I found someone suitable for that.

David Obua from Hearts had been placed on loan and I just couldn't resist. I mean Obua's a fine talent who's got decent pace and a very hard worker. As I mentioned, he knows how to create which is what im looking for. I was able to sign him on a season loan from Heart, beating Cardiff City to his signature. Aswell as Obua, we've also brought in Mark Connolly from Bolton. The young kid has got a massive future infront of him and looks to fit very well in our central defence - he was also loaned for the season.

With the new signings brought it, soon enough it was time to experiance my first game - my first game as a football manager. Sure it, was only against the reserves but it was still a game I wanted to win. I just do not want to lose to the reserves, I mean come on? Its the reserves, there in there for a reason.

Well, it's ok - im safe to say the game wasnt a disaster, we won comfortably 2-0. I've got to give credit to the reserves, they played quite well and there was a few players what caught my attention which I will bare in mind during the seasom, you never know when you might need some back-up or a change.

The rest of the pre-season went like a blast and out of six games, we only lost one. Now, before I say any more - let's have a look at these results.

ibmf4j.png

Yeah, that's right! We beat Newcastle United at home, smashed Ross County by seven and comfortably beat Workington and Kendal. The only game we failed to win, was against Nottingham Forest - which i've got to admit. We was very unlucky, if our shooting boots hadn't left us, we could of won that game. Regardless, what a fantastic pre-season we've had and the goals also backing up my point that we didn't need any more strikers.

If we can begin our season as strong as we end our pre-season, we may be in for one **** of a season. With just a week to go until the big kick-off, things are good around Brunton Park.

Great to see someone making a story about the blues, are you a fan?

@CCFC FAN - Yeah, it's me ha! Cant believe someone recognised me :(! I wanted to make this my new account, in dedication to Dieter Van Tournhourt who scored the winning goal in the league cup final this year to allow Killie to lift the cup <3

@CUFC Mason - I wouldn't say im a fan, but I have noticed I look out for there results time from time and always place a bet on them. I suppose if you asked what League 1 team I liked, my answer would be Carlisle United.

Let The Journey Begin..
(August Update)

Ok, the big kick-off is here. Carlise United had put there faith in me, I didn't want to let them down. It's time to show the world what I can do, time to prove that I never wasted my talent from all those years ago and that still could become a football great, even if it meant never kicking a ball - it was time to prove myself at Carlisle United.

From now on, I will give you updates about the games and brief stats about thhe game, whteher we deserved to win/lose or not - but if I have my way we will NOT lose - starting to sound something out of braveheart, anyways let's get this journey on the road - hope you enjoy it as much as im going to.

nPower League 1
Matchday 1
Hartlepool United vs Carlisle United

35iamub.png

Ok, so it wasn't a win, but it was a defeat either - a draw may have been the fair result, but I still feel that we could of just done enough to scrape the win. But i've got to be honest, I was suprised by Hartlepool's squad, they look pretty good and ready to go for season, but the performance from my boys was even better. It was a great game, with chances - just couldn't stick enough away, but il take a point.

Carling Cup
First Round
Port Vale vs Carlisle United

ba4yb.png

BOOM BABEY! What a result, we absolute demolished League Two side Port Vale to cruise into the seccond round of the Carling Cup. We was absolute fantastic, right from the get go I could see port Vale struggling to contain us upfront. The game was done in twenty minutes, as we was four nil up! They got a few consalation goals, but we quickly pounced again to make it an incredible night for our supporters. A well and truely deserved result and what a way to get my first win.

nPower League 1
Matchday 2
Carlisle United vs Bury

fxuijp.png

Fantastic results, the goals are pouring in. That's ten goals in two games, or eleven goals in three games. However you want to look at it, it's impressive. We dominated Bury right from the get go and just like we did against Port Vale, grabbed quick goals to put us in a comfortable position early on. There was no looking back as we continued to outplay Bury and round off with a well deserved win.

nPower League 1
Matchday 3
Exeter City vs Carlisle United

o75y5k.png

It's raining goals, hey! (8)-...Another fantastic display by the lads, showing real class away to Exeter City. Lee Miller, what a guy. Four goals obviously gave him man of the match, Exeter couldn't live with him. The moment he got a sight on goal, the ball was in the back of the net before they knew it. Another fantastic result and capped off by a superb performance, we've really hit the ground running so far.

Carling Cup
2nd Round
Wigan Athletic vs Carlisle United

2eowbjm.jpg

Reality check. Now, we know how it feels to lose four goals, but all credit to the boys - the scoreline was harsh. If you look at the statistics, we had our chances - they was just more clinical which was suprising becuase we had been amazing infront of goal heading into this game. But you cant fault the players, the performance was good and we wasnt expected to get far in this tournement. Sure it would of been nice to have a cup run, but Wigan's a Premier League side, we've got a long way to go before reaching that level.

nPower League 1
Matchday 4
Carlisle United vs Chesterfield

ivg7q8.png

Back to the league and back to winning ways as we beat a determined Chesterfield. The came with a game plan to try and close us down, but that man Lee Miller is just simply unstoppable at the moment and bagged himself another two goals to give us three straight league wins in a row, and keep us undefeated. Great reaction after going down to Wigan in the cup and it seems that our players are really up for it this season, great win.

With August over, we're currently sitting 2nd in the league (forgot to ps), level on points with Hartlepool United. Yes, I know - Hartlepool United. Another team who's had a surpising start to the season, we're both sitting at the top but there's a long way to go, before we can even dream of thinking of automatic promotion, our aim this season was a top half finish - push for the playoffs at the highest, so we will enjoy this run while we can.

Can we keep it up?...
(September Update)

Heading into a September on a real high! We finished August fantastic, winning three out of the four league games and remaining unbeaten. Sure we went out the cup, but it was by a Premier League side, so you couldn't really complain much there. Now we're looking to continue this good form into September and see if we can continue with this great start to the season.

nPower League 1
Matchday 5
Carlisle United vs Notts County

1hvyw5.png

Fantastic result as Nott's County are a good side. They came out and they certaintly went for it, which may not have been the greatest of ideas as they left themselves exposed at the back and with the form our strikers are on, they certaintly dont need any help to score, but even still credit to Notts County for going for it. All three of our starting strikers scored, plus McGovern on on the scoresheet aswell. These boys are on fire, but credit to our defence aswell, they kept Notts County at bay, while we hammered the goals in.

nPower League 1
Matchday 6
Leyton Orient vs Carlisle United

14y2um9.jpg

Quite a frustrating result, it was a game I thought we would and even had won. Even if it was only with one goal, but the red card changed the game, allowing Leyton Orient to have more of the ball in the last ten minutes and fair play to them, they made it count with a crushing last minute equaliser to take a share of the spoils. I suppose a draws not the worst result in the world, but losing goals in the last minute is never easy to take. I didn't want the players to dwell on the late goal and wanted them to pick themselves up, ready for the next game.

nPower League 1
Matchday 7
Oldham Athletic vs Carlisle United

or1j6f.png

Pretty even game to be honest and it was only right it finished a draw. Although i was quite dissapointed, because Oldham had been on a bit of a poor run and thought we could of took advantage of that, especially when we took the lead. But Oldham was right in the game and deserved to get a point out of it, another goal giving away right on the last minute, this time it was the last minute of the first half. We need to keep our concentration levels up for the full halfs, before it costs us.

nPower League 1
Matchday 8
Carlisle United vs Sheffield United

deqw54.jpg

Unbelievable, I mean seriously unbelievable. The amount of emotions i went through in this game was simply unreal. From going to happy, to cautious, to furious, to delighted, to shocked - name them all I felt it throughout this game. We took the lead and deservendly so as we was the much better side. However agains the run of play they got an equaliser. Throughout the game we dominated and looked like the more likely side to score, until they was giving a penalty to take the lead. I thought we had thrown it away, until we thrown everyone foward and got a goal to leve it up. I was delighted, it was an own goal but i didnt care but then in the final minutes AGAIN..the score the winning goal, with an own ****** goal! Seriously couldnt believe it, we deserved at least a point. I told the players they was unlucky, because they was - they played well. It was just one of those days..

nPower League 1
Matchday 9
Carlisle United vs Charlton Athletic

v6qj2b.jpg

Fantastic result to end September with, get's us back on winning ways. This game was always going to be tricky, Charlton are a top side and are on of the favourites to go up this season, but we simply outplayed them in the first half. They couldnt get near us andd before you knew it we was up 2-0 at half time. The seconf half was a much more ccloser affair, but we scored again to make it three and to make it all over, well so I thought. They got a goal back, which was only a consolation, but then Peter Murphy gets himself sent off for us. With eight minutes remaining, Charlton score again - I was praying we could hold on, I didnt want to throw it away, but the boys showed passion and determination and held Charlton back to get a massive three points. Back to winning ways and a great way to end this month - a big win over title challenging Charlton.

September wasn't a bad month, sure we had our first loss - but we still had some superb results. We was 3rd in the league and was only two points off league leaders Hartlepool United. We was still majorly over-achieving and doing ourselves proud. It's been a fine start to season and let's just hope that it continues into the next month to prove that we aint just pushing our luck, I believe this is where Carlisle belongs - challenging for automatic promotion, but still there is a long, long way to go.

Last edited:
Brilliant Story so far! First Person makes it all the more enjoyable, and its a nice blend with the screen shots as well. Looking forward to the next one: Keep up the good work :)

Back