An Attempt at the Saints: A Southampton journey

• Thread starter WeArePalace
  • Start date
  • Replies 0
  • Views 698
W

WeArePalace

SOUTHAMPTON ANNOUNCE PREMIER LEAGUE SQUAD LIST AMIDST SOLID PRE-SEASON
Southampton have announced their 2018-19 EPL Squad List for the upcoming season. Following new signings and an exciting young manager in Cristian Ferri, the Saints will be hoping for a minimum top half finish.
GOALKEEPERS

Rumours suggested that Angus Gunn will start in goal, with McCarthy and new signing and former Saints GK Paulo Gazzaniga will serve as reliable Premier League back-up. Gunn is the exciting young GK formerly of Man City who joined the Saints in the summer. McCarthy and Gazzaniga both have good experience in the league and should be decent stoppers for the team when called upon.
DEFENDERS

In defence, the Saints look very comfortable and covered well in depth. Pundits have said that they may lack a star quality, but it's hard to look past star recruit Matthijs De Ligt from Ajax. The starting back 4 is likely to be Tierney-Lascelles-De Ligt-Wan Bissaka, but while Lascelles is out with an injury knock prior to the season beginning, Bertrand is said to fill in for him in his absence.
MIDFIELDERS

Southampton look strong in this area as well, with new arrivals consolidating an already strong area for the Saints. Saint-Maximin will provide much needed ability on the right wing, while Elyounoussi will do the same on the left. In the centre, Romeu, Lemina and De Jong will partner with Romeu removed should Ferri opt for a 4 man midfield over one with 5 in it.
ATTACKERS

Probably the Saints weakest area of the squad, with only left and right midfielders, but no out and out wingers, although Saint-Maximin and Elyounoussi are more than capable of playing there. Overall, the squad looks exciting and Patrick Cutrone looks a peach of an acquisition for a small fee. Already looks a bargain.
SOUTHAMPTON PRE-SEASON UPDATE

Manolo Gabbiadini celebrates his hat-trick in the friendly against Stranraer F.C.

Southampton will be a side very happy with a solid pre-season, as despite having what pundits would call simple fixtures, they failed to drop a match. Perhaps they would take the most delight in the 2-0 win over Bologna, their biggest test, in which new signings Patrick Cutrone and Matthijs De Ligt got the goals.

The Pre-Season was a good one from the 7-1 drubbing of Stranraer to a series of comfortable 2-0 wins. It's hard to tell what this means for their Premier League campaign, but it's looking good.
MANAGER GIVES INSIGHT INTO SQUAD
New Southampton manager Cristian Ferri has given an insight into his Southampton squad and his ambitions for the future.
“It’s a pleasure to join up with the squad. In my most basic view, I think that this squad can do really well in the future. It’s just a matter of a little time and getting behind the squad in the dressing room. If I can do that, then I could very well be in this position for years to come. It’s my sole aim right now to give this club a solid finish in the league and keep the morale and dressing room atmosphere quality as well. Performance is often affected by this, the Manchester United situation is an example.”
clip_image040.png

“This club has an amazing history and my aim is just to add to the trophy collection. The FA Cup is a historic achievement for the club and I only aim to replicate such feats. During the 1970’s the club had a purple patch with solid performances league and cup wise. Since then club legends like Matt Le Tissier have played for the team and guided them to success. As I said before, I only want to do the same. I may be getting ahead of myself, but Patrick Cutrone looks like a young Le Tissier to me.”