Ancelotti plays down 6-0 victory

• Thread starter Thread starter BBC Sport
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 18
  • Views Views 912

BBC Sport

BBC Sport News Headlines
Reaction score
Chelsea boss Carlo Ancelotti felt his team did "nothing special" despite defeating West Brom 6-0 in their opening Premier League fixture.

More...

He's right. West Brom defended awfully. I believe two of the relegation places have been decided after week one - Wigan and West Brom. Newcastle and Blackpool will battle for the other one.

He's right. West Brom defended awfully. I believe two of the relegation places have been decided after week one - Wigan and West Brom. Newcastle and Blackpool will battle for the other one.
I wouldn't judge it on one game, in 2007-2008 Derby drew 2-2 with Pompey on the first game of the season, they looked like a side willing to fight for everything that season and everyone thought they'd stay up after that result.

Come the end of the season, they finished bottom with record lowest points in the league. So seriously, do not judge on one game mate, for all we know Blackpool could easily finish bottom now after that 4-0 win, they've got about 3 or 4 away games next all in a row, including Arsenal away and Chelsea/Liverpool away, if they pick up a few thrashings there it could all easily go wrong.

Although I agree on Wigan, Martinez's squad doesn't have any fighters in it anymore, nobody that is willing to work 100% every single game anymore, and because of that they will go down in my opinion.

Rofl, you can't judge who is going to be relegated after 1 game.

Tony has a point though, Chelsea played well, but most of their goals came from set pieces, and generally woeful defending by the Baggies, why they thought it would be a good idea to jump away from the rest of the wall, 3 times in a row is beyond me. Wigan were worse though imo. Kirkland was at fault for at least two of the goals, and effectively scored an own goal, when Harewood's shot was straight at him and he parried into his own net: Blackpool weren't even that good, they didn't need to be..

You can't just say after one week of football that the two relegation places have been decided.

Fair enough both Wigan and West Brom defended poorly in their respective matches but it's only the first week.

Let's see after 37 more games.

Tony has a point though, Chelsea played well, but most of their goals came from set pieces, and generally woeful defending by the Baggies, why they thought it would be a good idea to jump away from the rest of the wall, 3 times in a row is beyond me. Wigan were worse though imo. Kirkland was at fault for at least two of the goals, and effectively scored an own goal, when Harewood's shot was straight at him and he parried into his own net: Blackpool weren't even that good, they didn't need to be..
There are 37 games for things to change. Manager's can change tactics, line ups, types of approaches over those 37 games, it's not impossible for Wigan or West Brom to stay up after those games, it's just a slow rebuilding process for them now.

yes west broms defending was woeful but how many teams do you know who get beat 5-6 nil where there defence actually have a good game??? and we still had to take our chances, its the same old story when chelsea smash teams there are always people picking things out but when arsenal or utd beat teams like this its full of praise. Carlo is right to play it down lets not get to carried away lets keep our feet on the ground. UTC

Last edited:
yes west broms defending was woeful but how many teams do you know who get beat 5-6 nil where there defence actually have a good game??? and we still had to take our chances, its the same old story when chelsea smash teams there are always people picking things out but when its arsenal or utd its full of praise. Carlo is right to play it down lets not get to carried away lets keep our feet on the ground. UTC

Quite frankly, I have no idea what you just said.

I think AL, he was preaching some rubbish, about how chelsea are always hated and people say they never play will, another sob story.

I think AL, he was preaching some rubbish, about how chelsea are always hated and people say they never play will, another sob story.

no sob story we are used to it now and its great this way.

Same old story then.

Same old story then.

just rember if utd, arsenal or liverpool wn by a big margin this season, everyone has to say how much of a great result it was, just to annoy him.

just rember if utd, arsenal or liverpool wn by a big margin this season, everyone has to say how much of a great result it was, just to annoy him.

like i said already used to it so wont annoy me the slightest.

But if Utd, Arsenal or Liverpool do win by a big margin it will be a great result ;)

Thats just because Chelsea are just so much better, it is expected of them by now. Isn't that right CJACKO..

But if Utd, Arsenal or Liverpool do win by a big margin it will be a great result ;)

Thats just because Chelsea are just so much better, it is expected of them by now. Isn't that right CJACKO..

no team is expected to win 6-0 in any match.

Last edited:
CJACKO, you think the world is against you!

Anyway, West Brom just rolled over yesterday after 2-0 :(

Back