Andy Townsend The Transition from Commentator to Managerial Legend... Possibly

Reaction score
Hi, This is my first story on here so bare with me on the formatting side of things. For this story I'll be trying to chart the progress of Andy Townsend as he transitions from the worlds most annoying commentator thanks to his FIFA/ITV career to a manager.

I'll be using FMC for speed purposes as I only really go on FM for an hour or so at a time.

I hope you all enjoy :)

BREAKING NEWS FROM SKY SPORTS NEW HQ

Andy Townsend the former Southampton, Norwich, Chelsea, Aston Villa, West Brom and Middlesborough Midfielder has today announced that'll he'll be returning to his Irish roots to manage the little Irish team Derry City. Currently competing in the Irish Premier League.

View attachment 219596

More on this as we hear it​

The Minimum expectation is that we finish mid table.

I have a wage budget of £7.04K and a transfer budget of £0.

Have £2k spare in the wage budget so should be able to bring in some players once I've evaluated the squad.

Here is my squad

View attachment 219578

3 main obvious weak points. Left Back, back up Right Back and Left Mid. Also on the look out for any back ups.

Turns out Ive arrived half way through the season.

View attachment 219577
So new plan is see how it goes!

July
First Match - Vikingur Gota v Derry City - EURO CUP First Qualifying Round 2nd Leg
Carrying on from the first leg which my predecessor won 1-0, we travelled to the Faroe Islands to play the return leg. It was a real open ended game which we just shaded 1-0 thanks to a goal from Shane McEleney in the 67th Minute.

Second Match - Dinamo Minsk v Derry City - EURO CUP Second Qualifying Round 1st Leg
Next up we travelled to the capital city of Belarus to play Dinamo Minsk. We got absolutely destroyed in the first half thanks to goals from Oleg Novak, Evgeniy Dubina, Anton Maximenko and Eugenly Baga to find ourselves 4-0 down. 2 more goals from Igor Gorohovskiy and Valeriy Kibuk ensure we're out of the Euro League baring a miracle in the 2nd leg as we need to win atleast 6-0 to get to penalties!

2 new signings arrive - Dean Marshall an MR/AMR arrives as cover on a free transfer and Peter McMahon arrives to take the AML role as first choice costing 2k from Portadown.

View attachment 219539View attachment 219538

3rd Match - Derry City v Drogheda United - Irish Premier League
This is our first match in the IPL since I've taken charge, my new signing goes straight into the starting line up. 17 matches played, 16 more to go with 8 points between me and the top if I'm being ambitious, i'd like to win the league!

The new boy has a gold disallowed in the 8th minute but Barry McNamee scores to make it 1-0 to Derry in the 14th minute which is how it stays till half time. In the second half, a goal from Peter McMahon and a penalty from Shaun Kelly make it 3-0 before Stephen Maher scores an 89th minute consolation making the final score 3-1 to Derry.

View attachment 219537
we stay in 4th position, keeping touch with the leaders. with a game in hand.

July

Match Number 4 - Derry City v Dinamo Minsk - EURO Cup Second Qualifying Round - 2nd Leg

So we entertain the team that beat us 6-0 in the first leg, sending out the reserve team to try and create a miracle to stay in the competition. However, the league is more important to me! we do a bit better in this leg, only losing 2-1!!

Match number 5 Derry City (4th) v Shamrock Rovers (9th) Irish Premier League

Back to the important matches in the Irish League, with the transfer window closing on the 31st of July this is the last chance to impress me and evaluate my squad for the final run in. I'd sleep easier with a better left back and a bit of cover in midfield and a proper AMC but still heres how the team did.

Less than 2 minutes in we were 2-0 down, come half time it was 3. I was not happy, i tore into the players reminding them just what i expect from them performing for this team. We improved but nowhere near enough, i'm going to have to look at my tactics. hopelessly exposed to pace today. still thats the last match of July over. 4 matches, 2 wins, 2 defeats.... what will August hold? and who can i bring in?

Townsends Thoughtful Thoughts

So less than 6 months ago, I was released by ITV, now I find myself thrust into the life of a football manager. I'm one month into my reign as Derry City manager, I've lost 3 games and won 2. Two of my defeats have been in Europe, one in the league. I've evaluated my squad and realised my preferred method of playing just doesn't suit the players I've got at my disposal. I've been able to improve the Left wing and AMC positions and just hope my defence holds out or I can out score other teams.

I previously told the board I could get mid table, I'm hoping to get further than that. I'm still in two domestic cups and 4th in the League. If we win, I could leave Ireland. If not, I'm not sure.

All I know is, this is my chance to restore my reputation.

August.

Sligo Rovers (5th) v Derry City (4th) - Irish Premier League.
Into my 3rd league match we travel to Sligo Rovers. We start well picking up an early lead thanks to a 25 yard screamer from Lowry in the 7th minute, then in the 43rd minute, some sloppy defending allows Sligo back in and Morten Nielsen makes it 1-1. In the second half Nielsen grabs a 2nd in the 53rd minute and then Dinny Corcoran scores with Raffaele Cretaro adding another in the 82nd minute making it 4-1 Sligo. We're sinking with out a trace, I change to overload instructions and through on another striker, in the 85th minute Ryan Curran makes it 4-2 with Peter McMahon scoring again to make it 4-3 and the come back is on. Then in the 92nd minute, all hopes of a draw are lost as Cretaro scores again. Final Score 5-3 Sligo.

Longford v Derry City - Irish League Cup - Semi Final

We take a break from league action to travel to division 1 Longford in the Semi-Final, a fixture against either St Pats or League leaders Cork City awaits us in the final, which is where I want to be. I send the team out to attack. We go a goal down in the 12th minute having let Ger Pender walk through our defense. In the 44th minute we get back on a level footing thanks to a scrambled goal from Cillian Morrison on the stroke of half time. In the 79th minute, Pender scores again and thats how it stays. 2-1 Longford and we're out of the cup. Bollocks.

This match highlights to me the need to get the defense sorted. It's all very well scoring a goal, but we can't keep hoping our attack bails us out. I spend the week working on a new very defense orientated tactic, with the aim of turning us into the Irish Stoke City.

Dundalk (2nd) v Derry City (5th) - Irish Premier League

We're overwhelming underdogs for this game, I only hope my new defensive plans work, if not then its back to the drawing board.
We start well, defending and countering when the opportunity arises. Peter McMahon scores a penalty in the 21st minute. Then a minute later we concede to a Daryl Horgan goal. We then concede another from Darren Meenan. Half time 2-1 Dundalk. The match finishes 2-1. I'm not too disappointed. Yes we lost, but to a team challanging for the title and only by a goal, away from home. On our first use of the new tactic. I have hope. We drop to 6th. But Peter McMahon has been revelation since joining with 3 goals in 4 games

Sorry about the lack of updates recently, thinking of restarting and using the proper version of FM due to the limitations of Classic.

Would anyone be interested in the re-boot of this story?