Reaction score
Hey everyone,

It's my first time posting a proper FM tactic. I wanted to re-create Antonio Conte's 3-5-2 (5-1-2-2), which is notoriously difficult to beat in this game! Using some tried and tested settings from other tactics and my personal experience, I think I've created a pretty good version, which I have tested with two teams so far, Charlton and Lazio. I'll feature the Lazio save here.

Firstly, here is the tactic:
FM Tactic.JPG

Now some basics:

- I've found that a high line and slow tempo has generally yielded the best results.
- Focussing play through the middle is also key, especially for getting the most out of your target man.
- Time wasting is set centrally, between Sometimes and Often. Setting it too low (Rarely) has often resulted in losing possession too easily, and not taking time to make the right pass. This works well with the slow tempo to dominate games and provide a good balance between attack and defence.

Position notes:

- There is a fantastic balance in the current roles, but feel free to experiment and let me know if you see any improvements!
- My favourite part of this tactic is how the 3 CBs operate - they almost act like extra midfielders between the spaces, with the two outer CBs able to carry the ball into midfield, while the middle CB stays back to cover.
- The wingbacks will provide width, and cut in at the last moment, resulting in some beautiful goals from crosses into the running WB.
- The DLP in the DMC slot is the perfect combination for this position. Set to defend, he needs to be both a great passer and a good tackler, and I've seen some incredible performances by Capoue in this role for Lazio, as well as Dale Stephens in my Charlton save, so it is a versatile tactic from what I have seen.
- The DLP in the double pivot provides a second option if the DMC is marked or covered, so he is a great back-up playmaker to make those important plays. Meanwhile, the BBM does the leg-work, chasing down opponents on the ball as well as making great attacking runs to give the DLPs another option.
- The AF/TM combination has been beautiful to watch! The AF acts more like a genuine poacher than the Poacher role in my honest opinion, while the TM provides a great direct option in the counter-attack, as well as providing great combination play against tight defences.

Results (1st season, no signings):
FM.JPG

FM2.JPG

FM3.JPG

Final Notes:

This tactic is a slow-burner. You'll see that I did terribly in pre-season, and failed to qualify for Europa League, despite really good performances against Tripolis. It took a while for them to become familiar with the tactic, but once they did, they were hard to stop!

Please let me know how you get on with the tactic, and report any tweaks you might have that improved it for you :).

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/file/u5my1l9v8s6wd1m/%285-1-2-2_Conte%29.tac/file

I have been enjoying this tactic playing with Swansea. I just wondered what training do you suggest to use?

I put tactic at half season with my WBA first season attempt to create three at the back tactic but I had very bad results even WBA is weak team nothing didn't worked. I put your tactic in december and started winning although it's not familiar at all. Could you post more results and screenshots with stronger team when this tactic is played for 2-3 seasons, because I think that have potential of scoring lot's of goals while is strong at the back. Because team play higher on the pitch I noticed that is probably best to have fast centre backs, and one more thing wing backs are great defensively but if they perform like that in attack this tactic will be unstoppable. Maybe when I had stronger team with good players wing backs will be creating more chance's. Great thanks for this tactic because for this FM nobody created good tactic with 3 at the back.