Any Tips On Preventing Conceding Too Many Goals?

Sam6784

Reaction score
I am in season 1 with Bournemouth sitting 6th after 8 games ( i know it's early on my tactic may get better over time but hoping to get a little advice.) Offensively my tactic is great i've scored the most goals in the league, but have conceded the 2nd most. I've tried a few tweaks to try and help but no luck. I'm thinking maybe adding a BWM or Anchor Man but I don't want to compromise my attack as both strikers are scoring well. The most frustrating part is that in all my games I have gone 2-0, 3-0 or 4-0 up within the first half but then I start conceding fast.
Any Tips Would Be Great Thanks.

Last edited:
You have a massive gap in front of the very reserved defence. No midfielder staying back to cover the middle.

Speaking of the defence, why on earth do you have Look For Overlap selected?

Last edited:
Thanks for replying. Yeah i have realised that however I don't have any good defence minded midfielders. Would it be better to play a DM with CM ahead of him or sacrifice a striker for another midfielder?

Oops forgot to take that off for the screenshot I haven't been running with it in games though.

It doesn't matter. There is no 'better'. As long as you have someone covering. Do you not notice the middle being open after an attack by your team?

Yes sort of but not as much as you may think by looking at the tactic. I did try to bring a strong DM in on deadline day Kouyate but Porto snapped him up.

So I added a DM Harry Arter as a Deep Lying Playmaker on support, has made a difference the first two games I have tried it with a DM.
Lost the first game to Sunderland however my team was very dominant and very unlucky. 2nd game against Chelsea won 1-0 first clean sheet.
View attachment 174947
View attachment 174945

Any particular reason you put all your defenders on Defend duty and all your midfielders on Support?

The defenders wasn't originally on defend just trying different set ups. they are probably conflicting with the midfielder I guess. what would you recommend?

I can't recommend anything. You seem to be just randomly changing things now, which makes it more difficult. You also haven't actually answered my question?

How are the defenders and the midfielders conflicting and who exactly is conflicting with who? It's very confusing.

Sam - WJ just seems to be criticising without being constructive.

Keep trying different ways and get to know who plays best where.

The space between midfield and defence is there but if you fill it with a DM (which you've noted) it should prevent conceding more.

Obviously you can't keep a clean sheet every match but having a defensive minded midfielder will help.

To say you're Bournemouth and currently 6th, you must be doing something right pal so don't worry too much! I'm in my 5th season and still change tactics, you can never get fully settled!

The space between midfield and defence is there but if you fill it with a DM (which you've noted) it should prevent conceding more.

Obviously you can't keep a clean sheet every match but having a defensive minded midfielder will help.

To say you're Bournemouth and currently 6th, you must be doing something right pal so don't worry too much! I'm in my 5th season and still change tactics, you can never get fully settled!
Just because I ask a question, doesn't mean I'm criticising anything. I'm trying to see the thought process (if there was any) before commenting on it. As for being constructive, I already noted the gap between D and M stratas. I also am working up to the point of seeing why every midfielder has a Support duty and every defender a Defend duty, because that's why there are gaps. I'm not sure the OP understands duties, but I don't know that yet. So don't be so quick to judge these things.

Valid point about doing well though.

I do understand duties but to be honest when I have adjusted them to what should make sense and the tactic better i have not had very much success throughout the last 5 fm games. Maybe i'm missing something though haha.

Thanks for the constructive feedback mate. I have added a DM into the tactic now and seeing much better results just beat United 2-0. also brought in Gil Romero so now have a solid DM.

I do understand duties but to be honest when I have adjusted them to what should make sense and the tactic better i have not had very much success throughout the last 5 fm games. Maybe i'm missing something though haha.
Well this is where the forum can be extremely useful. You can explain your vision and plan for how you want to play, what you selected to achieve this and why. Then you can also go into details like players not doing what you wanted them to do and highlight those specific passages of play with videos or a PKM (or at worst, a series of screenshots) and you can get advice or comments about that.