Anyway of knowing which player loses the ball more?

maxdaking

Reaction score
I've had this doubt for quite some time by now and I thought that someone here might know.

Watching my team playing, I realized that some players, especially those around the midfield, tend to lose the ball as a result of an opposition taclke more than others. That is obviously understandable as more agressive roles, such as a box-to-box, will naturally lose it more times than a center-midfield defense, to give an example.

The thing is, I don't see that information avaiable. I went to the analyses tab of the match report and they have some a very thorough stats but nothing that seems related to that, which I believe it would be a very important stat. How many times has each of your players been successfully tackled? Seems to me that that would be a good way of knowing which players are more comfortable carrying or holding the ball, and so on...

So, is there something I don't know or is there just no way of knowing this?

I've had this doubt for quite some time by now and I thought that someone here might know.

Watching my team playing, I realized that some players, especially those around the midfield, tend to lose the ball as a result of an opposition taclke more than others. That is obviously understandable as more agressive roles, such as a box-to-box, will naturally lose it more times than a center-midfield defense, to give an example.

The thing is, I don't see that information avaiable. I went to the analyses tab of the match report and they have some a very thorough stats but nothing that seems related to that, which I believe it would be a very important stat. How many times has each of your players been successfully tackled? Seems to me that that would be a good way of knowing which players are more comfortable carrying or holding the ball, and so on...

So, is there something I don't know or is there just no way of knowing this?

I dont know a way to find out but what i found was those players that had low dribbling and low descision making tend to lose the ball more. The latter because they may not know what to do with the ball when they get into the final third. This coupled with the instruction run at defence more means they have a higher chance of losing the ball more. Also my main AM might be marked more closely by a midfield destroyer etc... also if you playing with a higher tempo your playes might lose the ball less because the ball is travelling more quickly and the ball is gone before the opp gets to your player. All in all i think alot of factors come into why sometimes certain players lose the ball more really hard to pinpoint.

Best way would be to watch the match.

Tackle completion ratio will show you how successful they are at winning the ball, which will include 50-50 challenges.

Pass completion obviously shows how well they retain and recycle possession

Determination, work rate, aggression and most importantly bravery are key stats for tackling so will probably indicate how well they'll fight to retain the ball. The dives into tackles PPM will also mean they'll commit to 5050s but runs the risk of conceding a lot of fouls.

Watch the match on full would be my option of seeing who is losing it most. I'm not sure if there is a screen for this as I don't tend to view the stats after a match very often as I watch as much as possible, but is there a stat for successful dribbles? Like 20/24 suggesting he they lost the ball 4 times from dribbling, suggesting they were probably tackled, or even successful passes meaning they gave it away making a pass.

Watch the match on full would be my option of seeing who is losing it most. I'm not sure if there is a screen for this as I don't tend to view the stats after a match very often as I watch as much as possible, but is there a stat for successful dribbles? Like 20/24 suggesting he they lost the ball 4 times from dribbling, suggesting they were probably tackled, or even successful passes meaning they gave it away making a pass.
This, but there's also more to it.

HOW are these players losing the ball? Are they trying to dribble past an opponent and getting tackled? Are they caught in possession because of a lack of passing options? Misplacing passes? etc

Stats don't tell you that, so watch the match, as Conflictinbanno said.

I have also become frustrated at watching my players lose the ball in the midfield. I would recommend putting the "Dribble Less" PI on as many players as you desire if possible. I've been trying to construct a team that passes more quickly and efficiently to one another before trouble arrives rather than holding the ball. It bugs me when I see heavy touches and dumb ball retention leading to a crunching tackle from the opposition. I'm still trying to figure it out but I feel like that PI might help.

I have also become frustrated at watching my players lose the ball in the midfield. I would recommend putting the "Dribble Less" PI on as many players as you desire if possible. I've been trying to construct a team that passes more quickly and efficiently to one another before trouble arrives rather than holding the ball. It bugs me when I see heavy touches and dumb ball retention leading to a crunching tackle from the opposition. I'm still trying to figure it out but I feel like that PI might help.
Personally if I felt the team was holding onto the ball too much then my first thought to move the ball quicker would be to use a higher tempo, I don't think the dribble less PI would necessarily stop the player holding the ball, that could easily be down to the players role, like a Target Man who will try to hold onto the ball to bring more players into play. Again this would mean even playing at a higher tempo, the TM would still try to hold onto the ball as it is a big part of the role he plays, however the players around him, would probably try to move the ball quicker.

You can see this all on the PI page however as it will state 'Already active for this role', also they might hold onto the and be tackled because they felt there was no pass on as another possible issue.

Personally if I felt the team was holding onto the ball too much then my first thought to move the ball quicker would be to use a higher tempo, I don't think the dribble less PI would necessarily stop the player holding the ball, that could easily be down to the players role, like a Target Man who will try to hold onto the ball to bring more players into play. Again this would mean even playing at a higher tempo, the TM would still try to hold onto the ball as it is a big part of the role he plays, however the players around him, would probably try to move the ball quicker.

You can see this all on the PI page however as it will state 'Already active for this role', also they might hold onto the and be tackled because they felt there was no pass on as another possible issue.

I know that some roles require more dribbling/ ball retention than others, that's why I said apply "Dribble Less" wherever you see fit. Like you said, Target Men are going to hold on to the ball to play through teammates etc., but in terms of a regular CM/s or other roles that it can be applied to there may be some benefit to using it. Playing a higher tempo should help as well. Like I said I'm trying to find the right balance and set up to reduce the amount of times my players give up the ball as well and those are two options that I use for sure.