Arsenal 2-3 Tottenham: Redknapp proves he is a decent tactician, even if he doesn’t w

• Thread starter Thread starter Mike.
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21
  • Views Views 1K

Mike.

Reaction score
Arsenal 2-3 Tottenham: Redknapp proves he is a decent tactician, even if he doesn’t want to be​

http://www.zonalmarking.net/2010/11/20/arsenal-2-3-tottenham-tactics/

arsespurs1.jpg

An astonishing second half comeback gave Spurs their first win in this fixture since Arsene Wenger became Arsenal manager.

Arsenal brought in Laurent Koscielny in place of Johan Djourou at the back, and Denilson came in with Jack Wilshere a slight injury doubt.

Jermain Defoe was only fit enough for the bench, so Tottenham kept 4-4-1-1 with Rafael van der Vaart behind Roman Pavlyuchenko, who was chosen over Peter Crouch. Tom Huddlestone’s injury meant Jermaine Jenas started alongside Luka Modric.

Arsenal took an early lead through Samir Nasri, who turned the ball in from a tight angle after Heurelho Gomes’ mistake. It is the third time in a recent big game that Gomes has made a mistake – put this with a sending-off early on at Inter and the confusion for the Nani goal at Old Trafford.

It was also notable that the goal came from Arsenal’s right-sided player, as they had constantly threatened down that side. Nasri, Bacary Sagna and Cesc Fabregas had all got into promising positions down that side, and it was reminiscent both of Arsenal’s passing pattern last week at Everton, and of this fixture last season, where Sagna assisted two goals from right-back.

No holding player for Spurs

Their second, through Marouane Chamakh, came on the counter-attack after Tottenham found themselves exposed in front of their back four. Without Huddlestone, Jenas wasn’t playing the holding role particularly well, and Arsenal had too much space to break into without encountering a challenge.

Despite the 2-0 lead, Arsenal weren’t playing particularly sparkling football. The two goals were their only first-half efforts on target, and whilst they may have reasonably felt that keeping possession at 2-0 up was the primary objective, it was rare to see them get in behind the defence – when they did, through Chamakh, the Moroccan seemed intent to cut back towards his own goal, rather than motoring on towards Gomes.

Half time changes

arsespurs2.jpg

The second half line-ups​
The real tactical action here happened at half-time. Redknapp could have taken a few players off, but he made an astute substitution, removing Aaron Lennon and introducing Jermain Defoe as a second striker, with Rafael van der Vaart moving to the right.

The Dutchman is not famed for his defensive work or positioning (although he did put himself about today, conceding four free-kicks), and so Redknapp knew he would be weaker defensively down that side of the pitch in the second half. He was wise to ‘concede’ his right-hand side, rather than the left-hand side that Arsenal had often threatened down.

Spurs narrow

The key to Spurs’ revival was not necessarily the change of formation, but the change of positioning of the side as a whole. Spurs were much narrower, with van der Vaart inevitably drifting into the middle and Bale doing the same from the other side – indeed, it was from a right-centre position that Bale scored Spurs’ first, a similar position to where he scored from against Arsenal at White Hart Lane in April.

Spurs were passing better through midfield, finding it easier to make connections between their creative players, Modric, Bale and van der Vaart, for the simple reason that they’d converged towards each other – Spurs’ long balls to their wide players in the first half were frequently unsuccessful, and van der Vaart was better off receiving the ball to feet rather than hoping for knockdowns from Pavlyuchenko.

Inital approach unsuccessful

On that note, it’s worth considering the nature of playing a ‘big man’ knocking the ball down for another player. It’s been a favoured approach under Redknapp with Peter Crouch and Defoe, then with Crouch and van der Vaart. In the first half here, this approach was unsuccessful (with Pavlyuchenko rather than Crouch). The reason? There was no Defoe to offer a threat in behind, Arsenal could afford to field a high defensive line, and therefore a ‘big man’ knocking the ball down 30 yards from goal offers relatively little threat.

This was identical to the situation last season in this fixture -Crouch won 16 from his 19 aerial challenges, but with no Defoe (out injured) these were in a non-threatening area of the pitch. The introduction of Defoe gave Spurs height and pace, and therefore they were much more dangerous.

Redknapp the tactician?

There are those who believe that Harry Redknapp is a useless tactician with no real idea about football strategy. This myth has been propelled by Redknapp himself, who – much like Brian Clough – seems to regard being a ‘tactician’ as somewhat of an insult. In a recent column for The Sun, Redknapp said:

“You can argue about formations, tactics and systems forever, but to me football is fundamentally about the players. Whether it is 4-4-2, 4-2-3-1, 4-3-3, the numbers game is not the beautiful game in my opinion. It’s 10 per cent about the formation and 90 per cent about the players.”

And he’s clearly not overly concerned with shape in training – Rafael van der Vaart said this week:

“There are no long and boring speeches about tactics, like I was used to at Real Madrid. There is a board in our dressing room but Harry doesn’t write anything on it.”

But Redknapp clearly sees the game in somewhat of a tactical way – after this game, he said:

“I changed it at half-time, opened it up even more really – stuck Rafa out on the right, and brought Jermain on to give us two targets upfront.”

“In the first half I played with two wingers, and we were stretched…I’ve got a front man up there, with Rafa in behind, when we lost possession they outnumbered us in midfield and played through us and played around us, and we had to narrow it up in the second half.”

He might not use the chalkboard, but in his head Redknapp clearly sees the pitch in quite a chess-like way, even if he might not like to admit it. He’s frequently shown himself to be very good at turning situations around – he made a mistake with his initial selection against Young Boys, for example, but a first-half switch meant Tottenham turned a 3-0 into a 3-2, with two away goals, and eventually progressed into the Champions League proper.

This is backed up by the statistics so far this season. Spurs have won more games (4) from losing positions than any other side, and gained more points (13) from losing positions than any other side.

Arsenal collapse

Of course, equally we must blame Arsenal’s late collapse. The problems here seem to be mental rather than tactical, but their tendency to play so high up the pitch seems to catch them out, and they concede too many costly free-kicks. Their last defeat, against Newcastle, was thank to Andy Carroll, who headed in a Joey Barton free-kick when Arsenal committed too many fouls in the centre of the pitch. Here, Spurs’ equaliser and winner both came after unnecessary free-kicks were conceded.

A word should go, too, to William Gallas. He won 7 from 8 tackles (the most of any player), made 6 interceptions (the most of any player) and completed 24 from 24 passes (the only player with a 100% completion rate). ”I thought William Gallas was amazing today”, said Redknapp. “He lead by example…absolutely top drawer.” Gallas may have been a problem in the dressing room last season, but he was superb for Arsenal alongside the more highly-rated Thomas Vermaelen, often sweeping up behind when Vermaelen made mistakes. Arsenal’s good defensive record last season was largely because those two started the first 26 games of the season together. This season, Arsenal have used five partnerships already, and whilst today’s has been the most frequent combination in the league, throwing together two new signings and expecting them to gel straight away is a big ask – it was the second time this season that these two have conceded three goals in a home game.

gallas.jpg

by Guardian Chalkboards​

Conclusion

It’s difficult to imagine a more demoralising victory for Arsenal. Losing a 2-0 lead, losing to their biggest rivals, missing the chance to go top, and having a ‘hate figure’ captaining the opposition to victory whilst being the best player on the pitch. It’s strange that Arsenal, so renowned for their ability to keep the ball, are so prone to late collapses.

Spurs weren’t fantastic – they’ve played much better football this season and not picked up results – but the belief and character they showed was excellent, as was Redknapp’s half-time shift.

Decent tactician lolz

Gotta be more than decent to beat Inter and Arsenal

I admit, im firmly in the camp that "believes that Harry Redknapp is a useless tactician with no real idea about football strategy" but hes been making some shrewd changes recently. and given the way hes going and capello is going, im slowly coming round to the idea of him as england manager. great turnaround today, gallas was immense

---------- Post added at 11:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:47 PM ----------

Decent tactician lolz

Gotta be more than decent to beat Inter and Arsenal
but then throws it away against smaller teams so...

We were terrible in the second half. We totally fell apart

Get in there, another goal for VDV, absolute animal!

Harry's tactics have been woeful at times, but he was brave to make the half time change today and got it just right. I must admit i found it quite strange that Pavlyachenko started ahead of Crouch, especially as the Crouch/ VDV partnership has been so successful.

I think two wingers is the way to go against the "lesser teams", as it stretches them and pins them back, but against top 4 sides, they may need to just tighten up a bit as they did in the second half.

Not many people though Arsenal had much of a chance of winning the title this season, and i was among them. So far they have done literally nothing to change those views and they seem to be getting further and further away form the top 2. Arsene cut a very frustrated figure by the end and you can't blame him. While I didnt predict the turnaround, you have to say it's not althogether surprising.

The only thing that was proven is that Arsenal can not concentrate for 90 minutes and have the wrong attitude when they're in front.

The only thing that was proven is that Arsenal can not concentrate for 90 minutes and have the wrong attitude when they're in front.
Yeah, it's like an Arsenal trademark now. Dominate, concede a goal, break under the pressure, concede again, points lost.

So frustrating. Even at 3-0, I still personally am not convinced the game is over when I watch them. No game is ever safe, they need to understand that.

Still, respect to Tottenham for not quitting. How many times have they made a comeback this season? Surely Arsenal were aware of that? 13 points they've gained after being behind.

We were very poor in the first half. Especially Hutton who kept thinking he was playing CB and he was a RB.
But in the second half we dominated and Arsenal never really troubled us.
Still result of the season for us. Get In! :)

Only watched the first half as I had a party to go to and I honestly thought at half time Arsenal had the 3 points and I got into my nans after thisparty and checked on sky sports news and saw spurs won 3-2 and I was shocked considering how well Arsenal played in the first.

Only watched the first half as I had a party to go to and I honestly thought at half time Arsenal had the 3 points and I got into my nans after thisparty and checked on sky sports news and saw spurs won 3-2 and I was shocked considering how well Arsenal played in the first.

Wenger and the players had the same feelings after the first half and thats why we GAVE the 3 points away

Wenger and the players had the same feelings after the first half and thats why we GAVE the 3 points away

No, its not, you should know the gave is never up when you only have 2 goals and 45 minutes to go.

You collapsed because you couldnt defend and were probably demoralised by the early Bale goal.

No, its not, you should know the gave is never up when you only have 2 goals and 45 minutes to go.

You collapsed because you couldnt defend and were probably demoralised by the early Bale goal.

Mate, What do you call attacking with 7 or 8 players and leaving huge spaces when you have a 2-0 lead? Thats what happened in the first 10 minutes after half-time and Bale, Modric and Vaart took advantage of. You should try to kill the game, slow down the tempo, keep position and try counter-attacking. Arsenal didnt do that.

Im a Spurs fan and gotta say i think Arsenal are still wondering whether Fabregas is going to leave and they have not got that leading by example captain who pumps up the players and ups their game like a Gallas if you will a couple of years back which is why their is a lack of stability

Yes, by bringing defoe on, the game was more open, but them winning was little to do with tactics. More to do with them taking their chances.

---------- Post added at 08:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:23 AM ----------

We were very poor in the first half. Especially Hutton who kept thinking he was playing CB and he was a RB.
But in the second half we dominated and Arsenal never really troubled us.
Still result of the season for us. Get In! :)
For god's sake, I can not bare hearing another Totty fan say this absolute bullshit. Remove the penalty and the freekick how many chances did tottenham even have in the second half? Probably not even as many as us. I doubt they had more posession in the 2nd half too, so to say you dominated the 2nd is just a lie, the 3 goals you got from the second half flattered you. Fair enough you guys kept at it, was a great comeback but you didn't dominate any period of the game.

Last edited:
This is why I like the input zonal marking put into their site.

After reading earlier in the week what Van Der Vaart said about Harry not really concentrating on tactics but just run the left wing or run the right wing. Defend the middle etc. I too have my doubts about Harry and his tactics but where his strength really comes into play is his man management ability to try to get the best out of his players. If a team is confident then you are going to play better. Thats one reason why Spurs made the Champions league and got the result against Arsenal and the result against Inter.

England could do with a little bit of confidence and the belief from the manager.

Last edited:
Back