Hidegkuti

Reaction score
View attachment 196955View attachment 196956

Not completely Arsenal, but I based on their play from last season.
So I played the above formation with PSV, winning 3 titles with it and doing well in the CL, with Real Mad halting my progress twice in the semis.

Then I left PSV and got an offer from struggling, debt ridden Newcastle United, who were 20th in the Championship. I experimented with a different 4-2-2-2 formation there but after struggling for consistency with an ageing, divided, and unmotivated squad, I switched to my old 4-2-3-1 for the playoffs and got through.

I stuck with this tactic in the Premiership and now in March I am 5th in the Premier League. I was very lucky to get Carlos Vela on a free transfer but even without him the team has performed well.

The formation is the standard 4-2-3-1 from the menu but I pushed the CMs back because I wanted to have a more fluid partnership where both midfielders would defend and attack. So they are DMs but are allowed to push forward and support the attack (like Song and Wilshere for Arsenal).

Ahead of them the wingers are tucked inside which allows them to link up well with the midfield and striker and help the team keep possession. Against weaker teams we dominate possession and even against the big teams are able to keep close to 50%.
The fullbacks are required to push forward and provide the width. They also see much of the ball and are required to help with the build up and possession play.

The focus is on quick, short passing with players allowed to roam from their positions. The striker will often drop deep or go wide and link up with the midfield and create goals as well as score them.

Players aren't allowed to dribble too much or cross or take long shots. The idea is to create shooting chances mainly through passing and movement.

Defensively this tactics is a bit weak, unless the team holds onto 60%+ of the ball. The fullbacks tend to leave gaps at the back but also the opponents fullbacks get time and space as their is no winger in front of them to close them down.
And they will often pull the CMs out wide leaving gaps in the center.

What I like about this tactic is the team plays some great passing football and usually creates a lot of chances, even if at times