SmoothJitsu

Reaction score
So me being a die hard Arsenal fan, needed to do something with Arsenal because results in real life are not being very good, so i decided to start a save with them and the whole point was to re-create 03-04's Arsenal fantastic team and league run.

The Tactic

View attachment 321408
While Wenger used a 4-4-2 i feel that this is the way the team was "shaped" during games with Bergkamp droping deeps and roaming and Gilberto being a Holding mid.

Team Instructions

View attachment 321407

Some instructions maybe missing and others are instructions that Wenger didn't use but i liked the way the team played with it

Player Instructions

L/R CWB - Shoot Less Often, Stay Wider
Anchor - Tackle Harder
BBM - Tackle Harder, Close down More, Shoot less often
L/R WM - Sit Narrower, Cut Inside with Ball (Very important as Pires and Ljunberg were famous for these "cuts" inside)
Trequartista - Shoot Less Often
CF - Shoot Less Often, Move into Channels

Results

View attachment 321403

Won the league with a decent record and 95 goals scores

View attachment 321400

Decent run in the CL before being (unfairly) knocked out by PSG

Games
View attachment 321395View attachment 321394View attachment 321393View attachment 321392View attachment 321391View attachment 321390View attachment 321389View attachment 321388

I was regularly getting 6+CCC's games even against stronger teams, and overall some very strong performances from the lads

Transfers

View attachment 321387

These were the transfers i made ( i always start games with Disable first transfer window budgets) and i decided to stay away from the Sweat that is Balanta, The Romeros and such)
Didn't want to sell Cazorla but he was disrupting the team's morale because he wanted a contract that was too big.

Tactic Weakness

2 major problems with this tactic.
1.Consistency away vs Big teams
2. Somewhat leaky sometimes

So what i'm hoping to achieve is that with Help of FM players and fellow Arsenal supporter we get a good replica of the Awesome Invincibles.
So if you got any tweaks you want to propose i am all ears

Sorry i don't know how to attach Tactic files for the people who may want to download it, i'll try anyway

View attachment 321383

In answer to 2. Somewhat leaky sometimes

You're playing attacking wide players AND attacking wing backs. So you've got over a third of your team people attacking on the wings. Try leaving the wide midfielders on attack and the wing backs to Full back (support) and the FBs will naturally drift in to the space left by the wingers whilst remaining more defensive

In answer to 2. Somewhat leaky sometimes

You're playing attacking wide players AND attacking wing backs. So you've got over a third of your team people attacking on the wings. Try leaving the wide midfielders on attack and the wing backs to Full back (support) and the FBs will naturally drift in to the space left by the wingers whilst remaining more defensive

That was my first guess aswell but i was just waiting for the second season to make that change, i really don0t like changing tactics midseason when they are working fine

Just out of curiosity - how did Alexis perform in that role?

Also, you're using a high line with both CBs on Defend. That's a bit risky, particularly as Mertesacker is slower than a glacier. Koscielny should almost certainly be set to Cover if you're gonna play high as he's quick enough to bail Mertesacker out.

I play a high line with 2 cover CBs who have high acceleration and anticipation. You can't play high without pace in defence and at least 1 cover defender, it's asking for trouble ;)

Just out of curiosity - how did Alexis perform in that role?

To be completely honest he only played as striker 2 times but he scored 3 goals there. he just happened to be played there at the time i was taking print screens

To be completely honest he only played as striker 2 times but he scored 3 goals there. he just happened to be played there at the time i was taking print screens

Who did you usually have in his place?

Interesting - neither kind of git the "Henry" profile but still were relatively successful.

I want to put Alexis up there but i just like Giroud and Welbeck too much too sell them haha

Regardless of how you're trying to build your tactic (and good luck), if you want to have a role for a 'Henry' it absolutely has to be Poacher. If you look at Henry's play, he was incredibly static for most of the game but had the ability to launch explosively at exactly the right moment. Poacher is the closest you'll get to that in '15.

It's a great idea to try and recreate this side but I don't think you're going the right route. I'd go for more of a counter philosophy. Remember that Arsenal at that time were still a team built on aggression and strength, so use a muscular, defensive style with pace up front. I'd go an all defensive back 4 with a BPD (D) to ping balls up to Henry, 'Gilberto' as DLP (D), Vieira as maybe Roaming Playmaker or maybe AP (S), a raumdeuter in the Ljunberg role, an attacking winger for Pires. Play counter/structured

Regardless of how you're trying to build your tactic (and good luck), if you want to have a role for a 'Henry' it absolutely has to be Poacher. If you look at Henry's play, he was incredibly static for most of the game but had the ability to launch explosively at exactly the right moment. Poacher is the closest you'll get to that in '15.

It's a great idea to try and recreate this side but I don't think you're going the right route. I'd go for more of a counter philosophy. Remember that Arsenal at that time were still a team built on aggression and strength, so use a muscular, defensive style with pace up front. I'd go an all defensive back 4 with a BPD (D) to ping balls up to Henry, 'Gilberto' as DLP (D), Vieira as maybe Roaming Playmaker or maybe AP (S), a raumdeuter in the Ljunberg role, an attacking winger for Pires. Play counter/structured

Agreed on Henry being a Poacher.
i also agree with the counter thing, they were definitely very strong on the counter but I tried playing on Counter and it simply doesn't work.
Don't agree on Viera being a AP though, from what i remember he was a clear Box to Box. the description of the Role fits perfectly the type of Player Vieira was

Hate to say it, but there is one falla on Si community that made Man Utd tactic replicating Fergie era, let me tell you that with taht tactic mine Martial went Henry mode, mine Ozil went Bergkamp, mine Sanchez is now called Pires, Lucas Romero is new Patrick, Zivkovic holds left like real Ljungberg while Gaya plays like he was born in Coles shoes, Balanta and Koscialny hold the D and Bellerin is new Lauren, and dont forget rotating Wilshere and Ramsey who make up for Gilberto, its too sad that a Red made it, but hey it is the closest thing I saw to the mighty Invincibles...

P.S. Thread is called: [h=1][FM 15.3.1] Fergie's 442, Van Gaal 433 & 352 with an extra dose of philosophy
Im not sure on Forum rules and external links so thread name has to do[/h]