MrIceCream

Reaction score
Hey there, I've started a new game with AS Roma, but since I'm not really good at this game I decided to use the editor and pump in some money to sign a couple players (specially for the future). Anyway, I have really good players in most positions and I think I should be ripping apart most teams in this season...

Currently I have the following players:

GK's:
Julio Sergio
David de Gea

Defenders:
Philippe Mexes
the Burdisso Brothers (I signed the one on loan from Inter)
Juan
Gregory van der Wiel
Cornel Rapa
Marco Cassetti
John Arne Riise

Midfielders:
Matteo Brighi
Simone Perotta
David Pizarro
Daniele De Rossi
Moussa Sissoko
Fabio Simplicio
Willian
Eden Hazard
Jeremy Menez

Forwards:
Mirko Vucinic
Francesco Totti
Marco Boriello
Adriano

As you see, the squad is not really complete, but these are the most relevant players I've got for now. The main problem I have is that I've got a lot of players suited for different roles but I can't find a good formation for them. For now I've done a tactic which seems to work a little bit, its based around the fact that each of my players excels in a specific role and thus led me to a 4-2-3-1 asymmetric formation. Im currently 4th in the Serie A, which is OK, but my players just win the games thanks to their luck (the games usually end 1-0 or 0-1 scoring in the last minute or so) which is probably my biggest worry at the moment. By the way, it's still 2010 in my game.

P.S. Sorry for my English, feel free to ask if you don't understand something.

Remember that the formation is only a formation, its the way the team acts within it that is the most important part. How have you setup the tactic ?

I'm currently using a fluid, control and short passing stile (more expressive and more roaming), with a rather slow to average tempo since my players arent that fast beside of my wingers, with man marking. Everything else is on default. Where I really struggle is with the roles, I know which role fits best each of my players but I can't seem to make them work "together", synergywise talking.

It looks like this:

De Gea / Julio Sergio Goalkeeper - Defend

Van der Wiel / Cornel Rapa Wingback (R) - Support
Juan / Nicolas Burdisso Central Defender - Defend
Philippe Mexes / Guillermo Burdisso Central Defender - Defend Obviously these four CB's can be switched around
John Arne Riise / Aleandro Rosi (Aleandro sucks and I'll sign a new player for this position) Wingback (L) - Defend

Daniele de Rossi / Simone Perotta Anchorman - Defend Although I'm testing the roles in this position, specially for Perotta

David Pizarro / Moussa Sissoko Advanced Playmaker - Support (Playing in a CM R position)
Mirko Vucinic / Jeremy Menez / Eden Hazard Winger - Attack (Playing in a M L position, and that is why Riise or Rossi play as a Wingback Defend role as oposed to Van der Wiel or Rapa, who play in a support role)

Willian / Marco Cassetti / Jeremy Menez (Marco is leaving in December, I'm currently looking for a good right Inside Forward. When Menez plays in this position I usually change the role of my Right Wingback to Wingback Defend) Inside Forward - Support (Playing in a AM R position, and another reason why Van der Wiel and Rapa play support and not defend, they have to cover the right wing, where as Riise or Rossi don't have to)
Francesco Totti / Menez / Willian (A lot of my players cover this position althought Totti is by far the best one, and he plays AM CL) Advanced Playmaker - Attack

Adriano Poacher - Attack OR Mario Boriello / Target Man - Attack (Mario is injured and I haven't tested the tactic with a target man.

I don't really know if those roles fit together, and I need some advice regarding that aspect (and my strategy and tactic too lol).

De Rossi should not be limited to Anchor man - defend and Sissoko should not be an adv playmaker...

De Rossi - Dlp or Box to Box
Sissoko - Box to Box
Adriano - Advanced Forward (not quick enough for a poacher)
Balotelli is definately not a target man bud :) I think you need to read through this :)
Totti - Trequirista

http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/foot...most-important-stats-per-position-thread.html
http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/fm-2011-general-discussion/80189-player-roles-duties-explained.html

use Fullbacks instead of the wingback roles..

you cannot play a WB and a ML/MR.. rather play a Fb and ML/MR or wingbacks and attacking mids/wingers..

do you have a SS of your current squad/tactic screen?

there are a lot of pointers that need to be mentioned, I will gladly help you out as I can see you have thought the process through :) let me know!

I can see what you are trying to do but the roles/duties you have assigned most of these players are incorrect and hence will not get the best out of them...

strange tactics like that do not really pay off mate, they leave a lot of gaps and if the players you play out of position and in incorrect roles, well then that is a disaster watining to happen :)

why not adopt something a little more "generic" like a 4-3-3 with an Amc being Totti? 2 Cm's 2 wingers and 1 striker upfront?

this is for Fm10 as well.. why not try this tactic? download it and see if it works, use it as a template and change things you think need to be changed :)

you might be having very mixed results with this correct? what is the actual problem you are facing?

there are some of the best tactics from Fm10 to chose from :) in the OP
http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/tactics/37875-tactics-fully-tested.html

You mean like a classic 4-3-3 (4-1-2-2-1?) with a possible DM - Defend, CM - Support and Advanced playmaker attack trio right? But how do I make this work with a sub-par Target Man like Adriano, should I use Poacher or Advanced Forward with drilled crosses?

I favor something like this more, what do you think?

View attachment 193439

Last edited:
yeah, Target Man tactics suck :) especially if they are alone upfront, its not like Fm09 and it was the best way to play the game, its changed :) quick poachers/advanced forwards are the way to go! use SuperMario as the Poacher?

for Roma I would have an AMC instead of a DM as you have a strong squad and Totti, use De Rossi as Central mid defend or support and Sissoko as box to box :)

How about De Rossi as a BWM - Defend, Sissoko as a CM - Support and Totti an Advanced Playmaker - Attack? By the way, I'm curious if you can make a BtB Mid that focuses on passing, as that would be perfect I think. Another thing, would it be overkill to switch the Wingers to Inside Forwards and change the FB's to WB's?

Ok, so what I found the most worrying is that I don't create enough chances, any tips on that? Currently my formation is a standard 4-3-3 with 2 Wingers, a Poacher and 2 CM's and a ACM, whose roles are BWM - Defend, Box to Box - Support and Trequartista. Oh yeah and somethin else, I always end up shouting "Retain Posession" and "Work Ball Into Box", which apparently make the team work way better. Is there a way to put this in the Team Instructions directly? So it comes automatically. Thanks anyway :)

Last edited: