• Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 18
  • Views Views 1K

Which one is better?

• Total voters

Raikan007

Reaction score
Good day to you all...

I am currently considering a PC upgrade and I have always bought my Nvidia GPU's, the Radeon's are quite well priced but I have not done enough research into the two differences properly (I know ATI dont have Phys X)

what do you think is the better make of card? Pro's and Con's?

Neither brand is "better", it depends upon the particular models. Both companies have cards from the $40 range to over $400.

A GeForce 9600GT is better than a Radeon 4670. A Radeon 5670 is better than the 9600GT, but a 9800GT is better than a Radeon 5670, a Radeon 4770 is better than a 9800GT, and so on...

ATI cards are priced lower, you have to spend more to get an Nvidia card of equal performance.

so basically ATI are a cheaper option for the same spec. Hope this helps Neil :)

Whatever gets you the best bang for buck for your budget at the time you want to buy. As it stands, Radeon is better at basically every price point, and generally run cooler and quieter too (due to smaller die size).

Last edited:
Which particular ones from ATI and nVidia are you looking at? I personally always go with nVidia, purely as all my PCs have had those in, and they are fine.

thanks Steve, do ATI and AMD run hand in hand better than AMD and Nvidia?

what is the best ATI card and the best Nvidia card I can get for $260 max?

---------- Post added at 02:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:33 PM ----------

you see I dont even know the models etc of the Radeons, I only know the Nvidia GPU's...

For ATI it would be this one (under $200)
Radeon 6950

For Nvidia it would be this one (under $200)
GTX560

looking at:

HD6950
GTX560

what is the best ATI card and the best Nvidia card I can get for $260 max?
Is that $US?

IMO, XFX Radeon HD 6950 1GB - $US239.99
OR
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 560 Ti 1GB OC $US234.99

Edit: Those prices are from newegg.com

Last edited:
Oh and PhysX is used in about 2 games so I wouldn't worry about it ;)

haha, really? I thought it was for all the "exploding" pieces etc? does ATI have "physX" by defualt? I saw that XFX card earlier, my mate got the XFX GT9800 and said its the worst card ever!! they did release a statement saying it was their worst card ever released though.. dont want to get ****** like that.....

what about this?
XFX AMD Radeon HD 6870 1 GB DDR5 PCIe 2.1 Graphic Card : Desktop Accessories | Dell
ASUS ENGTX560 Ti DCII TOP/2DI/1GD5 GeForce GTX 560 Ti DirectCU II TOP Video Card - 1GB, GDDR5, Overclocked, PCI-Express 2.0 (x16), Dual DVI, Mini-HDMI, DirectX 11, SLI Ready at TigerDirect.com
Gigabyte Super Overclock Series GV-N560SO-1GI-950 GeForce GTX 560 Ti Graphics Card - 1GB, GDDR5, DirectX 11 at TigerDirect.com
HIS H687QNX1G2M Radeon HD 6870 IceQ X Turbo X Video Card - 1GB, GDDR5, PCI-Express 2.1 (x16), HDMI, 2x Mini DisplayPort, Dual DVI, DirectX 11, Dual-Slot, Eyefinity Ready, CrossFireX Ready, Overclocked at TigerDirect.com
EVGA 01G-P3-1560-KR GeForce GTX 560 Ti Video Card - 1GB, GDDR5, PCI-Express 2.0 (x16), Dual DVI, Mini-HDMI, DirectX 11, SLI Ready at TigerDirect.com
EVGA 01G-P3-1567-KR GeForce GTX 560 Ti DS Superclocked Video Card - 1GB, GDDR5, PCI-Express 2.0 (x16), 2x Dual-Link DVI-I, Mini-HDMI 1.4a, DirectX 11, Dual-Slot, SLI Ready, Overclocked at TigerDirect.com
MSI R6870 HAWK Radeon HD 6870 HAWX Edition Video Card - 1GB, GDDR5, PCI-Express 2.1 (x16), 2x Mini DisplayPort, HDMI, 2x Dual-Link DVI, DirectX 11, Dual-Slot, CrossFireX Ready at TigerDirect.com

---------- Post added at 03:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:06 PM ----------

this could be a winner?

MSI R6950 Twin Frozr III PE/OC Radeon HD 6950 Video Card - 2GB, GDDR5, PCI-Express 2.1 (x16), Dual DVI, HDMI, 2x Mini DisplayPort, DirectX 11, Dual-Slot, Overclocked at TigerDirect.com

Hmm. For the last one, you are paying extra for the 2GB of vRAM that you don't really need though. Unless you plan to buy at least a 24" monitor (at least 1920x1080), then the 2GB is wasted.

Basically I'd just read a lot of reviews. Once you find one that has you convinced, in you budget, that is in stock go for it ;)

Compare the benchmarks of different graphics cards on tomshardware and see if the price difference between cards is worth the extra performance they would give. Personally I've always been an ATI man, usually better performance for money.

---------- Post added at 04:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:29 PM ----------

basically those 2 cards are exactly the same. However companies put on their own heat sinks or casing or something to make people buy their version over other peoples. Personally I would just go for the Gigabyte version of those 2, $10 cheaper

basically those 2 cards are exactly the same. However companies put on their own heat sinks or casing or something to make people buy their version over other peoples. Personally I would just go for the Gigabyte version of those 2, $10 cheaper
I'm pretty sure XFX have a double lifetime warranty on their cards though, which is worth the extra $10.

NA? Netherlands Antilles? nah just kidding.. The card I was looking at in the States said it had life time warranty (XFX) I heard they were one of the better cards on the market, but as I said, my mate got one and it was uber ****! so a bit skeptical about getting one..

so you saying there is not much difference between a 2gb and a 1gb if you are only playing on a 22" LCD like mine?

NA? Netherlands Antilles? nah just kidding.. The card I was looking at in the States said it had life time warranty (XFX) I heard they were one of the better cards on the market, but as I said, my mate got one and it was uber ****! so a bit skeptical about getting one..

so you saying there is not much difference between a 2gb and a 1gb if you are only playing on a 22" LCD like mine?
Usually XFX make very good cards. Perhaps your mate got a dud? I don't know...

Yeah, it is highly unlikely the 2GB will make any difference versus 1GB at 1680x1050. The vRam is mainly for storing textures, models ect. So having more on a smaller resolution screen won't make any difference to the performance. It will only start to make a difference at high resolutions (1920x1080 plus) where more needs to be stored.

yeah sorry I wasn't too specific. The different brands will give you different bonuses for you buying their version of the card, such as XFX giving you lifetime warranty. It's just down to you if you think spending that extra money is worth it for the bonuses. Also 2GB is overkill for you for a graphics card. 1GB will be plenty for you

Back