Attacking Defender Settings

• Thread starter Thread starter Montanaro
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 4
  • Views Views 1K

Montanaro

Reaction score
I've been working on defensive systems lately and have been trying to emulate Barca's fluid Defense, which is something most barca tactics overlook.

When you play 3 CBs and no side/wing backs and set the two outside CBs to run with ball often and run from deep often with an attacking mentality, they will actually get forward sort of like a DM with support duty. This is probably due to having 2 CBs to cover his forward movement. When you play wide, the CBs will spread nearly out to the touchline. This cannot be done with a 2 CB system.

I was wondering if anyone knew if the 3 CB system would work the same as above if you played with two pushed up wingbacks? I know for a fact if you play a 5 man back line with 2 Sidebacks, that the two outside CBs will NOT get forward.

I haven't had a chance to test with wingbacks, but was wondering if anyone had any experience with this?

I just confirmed that with pushed up wingbacks, the 2 outside CBs won't become active on offense.

No, although I am very interested to here the results. Would love to make a 3-3-1-3 tactic like 95 Ajax with this kind of backline.

Edit:

You could try defensive ML and MR or very defensive AML and AMR to get a quasi-wingback feel to it, perhaps?

yeah maybe with ML MR but I'm playing with AMl/r now so it wouldn't make much sense to put sidemidfielders right behind them.

Maybe try giving the sidemids a role that has them make diagonal runs through the center, like a box to box mid. Bielsa's Chile often played one such player as one of the sidemids (ex. Arturo Vidal).

Back