Attacking Sweeper 5-2-1-2 for smaller teams

Floh

Reaction score
Hey there,
this is my first post, but nonetheless I hope it meets all the criteria that are necessary to help some of my fellow coaches.

Although I’m an avid reader of this message board I never made the transition to a poster, because until FM 15 the game appeared to be super easy to me. There was always one style that produces way better results for me than anything else. Be it strikerless or the narrow 4-1-2-1-2 in FM 15.
This year my results have been miserable. The problem was that I prefer to pay smaller teams (Aston Villa, Malaga or any League 2 club with history) and lead them to glory.
What I found out early was that crosses are way to overpowered this time and CWB performed way better than they should for me. So I tried to develop a system that could be used with players that have low technical stats.
Back to 4-1-2-1-2 including a halfback it was. Assuming you have a CWB with a good workrate and decision, you can create very many small triangles for simple short passes while moving from defence to attack quickly. The results were promising but I never managed to get amazing results (4th with Frankfurt, constant Top 3 with Sevilla, CL and UEL win with VILLA, yes ******* Villa, but terrible results in the league).
So I started a new game to try something old fashioned. 5-2-1-2 with a sweeper.
View attachment 136870
Why? Because the Halfback got amazing ratings but didn’t score goals or provided much needed defensive stability.
So I got a job at Derby County. They were bottom of the league and I guided them to 10 place or so. Got fired… perhaps I shouldn’t have lost the first few games.
Next try Mallorca, no budget at all, bottom of the league, finished mid table. Media prediction 14th for 2nd season. Got directly promoted (Most goals scored, fewest conceded)! Liga BBVA finished 11th. Perhaps I’m onto something. Try again.
Hired at Nottingham, cause history… 1st season… won the league with 3 games to spare (again most goals scored, fewest conceded).
View attachment 136873
Bookies tipped me 19th for the next season, finished 11th in BPL.
The question is why is this system so good for small teams?
First of all, you still have most of those small triangles making passing easy.
Then I use a structured team shape, so they don’t have to be that smart. Not everybody can be Iniesta.
Next I play quick attacking style football and this front team of 2 AF and an AM(S) works like a charm. They keep the ball in a way that often leaves one of the CWB(A) unmarked, leading to easy goals. This is is also encouraged by the TI "Exploit the middle" and "Look for Overlap" wit a wide width.
View attachment 136871
Most important the Sweeper pushes the LD(S) a little bit closer to the CWBs. Therefore, the opposing winger is often marked by two defenders.
Summing it up, this tactic offers brutal attacking football, but some might think it ugly. I disagree, it looks amazing. ;)
But be warned this is not plug and play! Most teams don’t have a sweeper, so you have to retrain one of your CBs(tall, aggression < 10). Normally it took about 3 games for the players to get used to the new system. Keep in mind this issue may reoccur at the beginning of the next season, if you bring in to many new players.
Also be aware, this not even close to perfection. You cann still tinker a lot. (DON'T TOUCH the LD(S), it would send you into a world of pain in my experience! ;) )

If you have any questions feel free, I’ll try to help!

So far that’s all

Floh

PS: No opposition instructions necessary.

Hey there,
this is my first post, but nonetheless I hope it meets all the criteria that are necessary to help some of my fellow coaches.

Although I’m an avid reader of this message board I never made the transition to a poster, because until FM 15 the game appeared to be super easy to me. There was always one style that produces way better results for me than anything else. Be it strikerless or the narrow 4-1-2-1-2 in FM 15.
This year my results have been miserable. The problem was that I prefer to pay smaller teams (Aston Villa, Malaga or any League 2 club with history) and lead them to glory.
What I found out early was that crosses are way to overpowered this time and CWB performed way better than they should for me. So I tried to develop a system that could be used with players that have low technical stats.
Back to 4-1-2-1-2 including a halfback it was. Assuming you have a CWB with a good workrate and decision, you can create very many small triangles for simple short passes while moving from defence to attack quickly. The results were promising but I never managed to get amazing results (4th with Frankfurt, constant Top 3 with Sevilla, CL and UEL win with VILLA, yes ******* Villa, but terrible results in the league).
View attachment 1068037
Why? Because the Halfback got amazing ratings but didn’t score goals or provided much needed defensive stability.
So I got a job at Derby County. They were bottom of the league and I guided them to 10 place or so. Got fired… perhaps I shouldn’t have lost the first few games.
Next try Mallorca, no budget at all, bottom of the league, finished mid table. Media prediction 14th for 2nd season. Got directly promoted (Most goals scored, fewest conceded)! Liga BBVA finished 11th. Perhaps I’m onto something. Try again.
Hired at Nottingham, cause history… 1st season… won the league with 3 games to spare (again most goals scored, fewest conceded).
View attachment 1068034
Then I use a structured team shape, so they don’t have to be that smart. Not everybody can be Iniesta.
Next I play quick attacking style football and this front team of 2 AF and an AM(S) works like a charm. They keep the ball in a way that often leaves one of the CWB(A) unmarked, leading to easy goals. This is is also encouraged by the TI "Exploit the middle" and "Look for Overlap" wit a wide width.
View attachment 1068036
Most important the Sweeper pushes the LD(S) a little bit closer to the CWBs. Therefore, the opposing winger is often marked by two defenders.
Summing it up, this tactic offers brutal attacking football, but some might think it ugly. I disagree, it looks amazing. ;)
But be warned this is not plug and play! Most teams don’t have a sweeper, so you have to retrain one of your CBs(tall, aggression < 10). Normally it took about 3 games for the players to get used to the new system. Keep in mind this issue may reoccur at the beginning of the next season, if you bring in to many new players.
Also be aware, this not even close to perfection. You cann still tinker a lot. (DON'T TOUCH the LD(S), it would send you into a world of pain in my experience! ;) )

So far that’s all

Floh

No download link?

Hey there,

View attachment 1068037
View attachment 1068034
View attachment 1068036

So far that’s all

Floh

sounds very interesting. i want to recreate this but simmilar. can you write about player instructions and set pieces set ups?