Attacking width/approach play

Reaction score
Just a couple of questions to clear this up for me if anyone can help.

Basically I don’t no how to use them together.

If you exploit the wings do you need to play wide ?

If you exploit the middle do you play narrow?

I want to play through my 3 cms then give it to my wingers or playing them in behind and attack with them.

So do I exploit the wings and play narrow or exploit the middle and play wide.

It just confuses me

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just a couple of questions to clear this up for me if anyone can help.

Basically I don’t no how to use them together.

If you exploit the wings do you need to play wide ?

If you exploit the middle do you play narrow?

I want to play through my 3 cms then give it to my wingers or playing them in behind and attack with them.

So do I exploit the wings and play narrow or exploit the middle and play wide.

It just confuses me

Thanks

I think if you want to play through your CMs you should play narrow to facilitate those short passes between your CMs. At the same time, you could use wingers and probably instruct your team to focus on the wings. I do not know if it would work but it is something worth trying.

ON FM18 i had a very successful tactic playing with wide settings and wingers and Exploit the Middle as a TI. It was a three-man midfield of DM (DLP), Mez and a CM.
Tweaked the duties a little depending on the opposition, and occasionally the Mez became BBM, but with one of the CMs on Attack, the other on Support and the DM on Defend it worked really well.

No, you don;t have to play wide to 'Exploit the Wings', the TI will encourage your players to look to that area for passing options first.
Playing Wide, with Exploit the Middle can be effective because effectively, telling your wide players to stay wide stretches the opposition defence, and Exploiting the Middle takes advantage of the space created,

Think about space. Space is one of the more important concepts in a tactic.

Imagine playing very wide. Your opponent will be stretched the width of the pitch. Where will the space now be?

Imagine sitting narrow and your entire team is (for example) the width of the penalty area. Where is the space then?

Thanks for your reply’s. Helped me understand the instructions better.

I tried the first reply’s advice last night for 2 games and watch the full games won 1-0 with a beauty free kick then drew 0-0. Struggled to create any real good chances.

Like the 3rd reply has since suggested about space. My cms passed the ball through the middle fine but just got to edge of box and were stuck for options.

I will be on a lot this weekend so will try what the 2nd reply said he had success with as it seems to make sense.

I am set up with an anchor ap (a) and cm (s) as it suits my players best roles. Do you think these are a good combination