Away Games

• Thread starter Thread starter tomicman44
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 9
  • Views Views 2K

tomicman44

Reaction score
Hi Everyone

Does anyone know what the problem is with away games?

I am currently in my second season with Chelsea and my EPL matches are as follows:

Home

Played: 5
Won: 5
Goals For: 22
Goals Against: 2
Average Possession Per Game: 62%
Average Short Range Shots Per Game: 15
Average Clear Cut Chances Per Game: 5
Average Half Chances Per Game: 6

Away

Played: 5
Won: 1
Drawn: 2
Lost: 2
Goals For: 5
Goals Against: 7
Average Possession Per Game: 58%
Average Short Range Shots Per Game: 8
Average Clear Cut Chances Per Game: 2
Average Half Chances Per Game: 4

Is there some special way to win away from home that I don't know about? I am always dominating the getting more chances and more possession but my players just seem to be unable to score. 3 of the 5 away goals were goals by defenders from corners/free kicks. I shouldn't need over 20 shots a game as I get at home in order to score. I don't understand this game, It's just convoluted method after convoluted method you have to use in order to win.

Can't do a counter attacking tactic because the opposition just sit back and defend all the time.
Can't do an attacking tactic because the ai manager is so good at making a counter attacking tactic work.
Can't do a control tactic because the team just pass it around for ages and then do a rubbish shot.

I stopped for two weeks because it was so frustrating and I came back yesterday and I am starting to remember why I got frustrated.

Does anyone have any ideas how to win away from home? Any advice would be much appreciated :)

don't expect to win every game away from home, yes your away form isnt great but could be worse
this season the last 6 away games for the big 4 were

chelsea - LLWWWW
arsenal - DDWWDL
man city - DWWLWW
man utd - LWWDWD

do you use scout reports on teams to see what tactics they struggle against? start games set at standard and design a few shouts to change strategies when needed. i use a more balanced tactic away from home then adapt as needed. looking at the stats you aren't creating enough clear cut chances away from home. try and see from analysis whether teams are pushing higher or sitting deeper against you and adjust a tactic for this

play on control at home and counter away

All that seems to happen when I set them up to counter is the other team continue to play defensively and I still have the majority of possession but I get less chances and they get more.

don't expect to win every game away from home, yes your away form isnt great but could be worse
this season the last 6 away games for the big 4 were

chelsea - LLWWWW
arsenal - DDWWDL
man city - DWWLWW
man utd - LWWDWD

do you use scout reports on teams to see what tactics they struggle against? start games set at standard and design a few shouts to change strategies when needed. i use a more balanced tactic away from home then adapt as needed. looking at the stats you aren't creating enough clear cut chances away from home. try and see from analysis whether teams are pushing higher or sitting deeper against you and adjust a tactic for this

Yeah I know it's not awful but it's annoying because my home form is so good and Man City are already 8 points ahead of me after 10 games. I'm at work right now but I will post some screenshots of my tactics tonight :-)

Tactics

4-2-3-1 Narrow

This is my main formation. I use this formation in all my home games and most away games and it makes a lot of chances and is fairly secure at the back.
Shouts: Pass Into Space, Work Into Box

View attachment 304357

4-2-3-1 Wide

This is my formation when strong teams away from home.

View attachment 304358

4-4-2

This is my formation when trying to be more aggressive or trying to get a winning goal at the end of a game.

View attachment 304359

I tweak my tactics during games based on what I see happening using shouts and opposition instructions.

My main tactic works really well but I could really uses some advice on my counter and attacking tactics.

Any help/advice would be appreciated :)

personally this is how i would change you tactics

4-2-3-1 wide

bwm - cm - d change to dm - dm -d
cm -cm - s change to cm-cm-d
t- amc- a change to dlp- cm -s
af-cf-a change to p/tm - cf-a

change the passing style to more direct and ensure your front 3 are quick, clear the ball to flanks. players in more defensive positions will draw the opponents to attack more and leave themselves vulnerable.

other than that i dont see any huge problems with your tactics, it may just be time for a shake up, at the start of each season i usually create 2 new tactics and have one from last season, then through the season if a tactic wont work i just scrap it and create a new one.

with your 4-2-3-1 narrow tactic change:
ST - AF
Either slow the tempo down or change strategy to attack and tick counter attack
Dont! use pass into space shout
Focus passing down the middle

4-2-3-1 wide changes:
drop the wide men deeper into midfield
set as defensive wingers attack and change wide play to cut inside
change the AMC to attacking midfielder
change WB to Full backs
also set Target man supply to 'Run onto ball' (make sure you have holds up ball ticked)
change cahill to CD

4-4-2 changes:
Change style to very fluid
Change strategy to overload
CML Change to CM attack
CMR change to BWM support
Push both wide men into the AMR/L
Press more
tackle hard
Change STR to Poacher
Change target man supply to mixed
change full backs to WBs attack
Change cahill to CD
Push up your defensive line
Set play maker to none
Set time wasting to minimum

Soo m assuming the 4-4-2 is what you use to go all out attack to get a goal...

make these changes and let me know how you get on:)

personally this is how i would change you tactics

4-2-3-1 wide

bwm - cm - d change to dm - dm -d
cm -cm - s change to cm-cm-d
t- amc- a change to dlp- cm -s
af-cf-a change to p/tm - cf-a

change the passing style to more direct and ensure your front 3 are quick, clear the ball to flanks. players in more defensive positions will draw the opponents to attack more and leave themselves vulnerable.

other than that i dont see any huge problems with your tactics, it may just be time for a shake up, at the start of each season i usually create 2 new tactics and have one from last season, then through the season if a tactic wont work i just scrap it and create a new one.

with your 4-2-3-1 narrow tactic change:
ST - AF
Either slow the tempo down or change strategy to attack and tick counter attack
Dont! use pass into space shout
Focus passing down the middle

4-2-3-1 wide changes:
drop the wide men deeper into midfield
set as defensive wingers attack and change wide play to cut inside
change the AMC to attacking midfielder
change WB to Full backs
also set Target man supply to 'Run onto ball' (make sure you have holds up ball ticked)
change cahill to CD

4-4-2 changes:
Change style to very fluid
Change strategy to overload
CML Change to CM attack
CMR change to BWM support
Push both wide men into the AMR/L
Press more
tackle hard
Change STR to Poacher
Change target man supply to mixed
change full backs to WBs attack
Change cahill to CD
Push up your defensive line
Set play maker to none
Set time wasting to minimum

Soo m assuming the 4-4-2 is what you use to go all out attack to get a goal...

make these changes and let me know how you get on:)

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll try these ideas out I may not reply until the weekend as I like to test over a fair number of matches and I don't get much time to play mid week :-)

I have given up on Football Manager. I tried all the tactics advised and they all failed to help. Not enjoying Football Manager as I have no impact on the result of the game. I'm just a passenger, Good Night :-)

Back