Barca, United, Spurs, Napoli - this is getting boring

united762000

Reaction score
I enjoy this site and like looking at people's tactics that they have created for their teams. However, it is starting to become increasingly boring reading tactics designed for big clubs with strikers scoring 50+ goals a season. There are some of us that like playing small teams and building them up and the tactics on here are mainly aimed at bigger teams with better quality players. People seem obsessed with Barcelona at the moment. So does anybody have any tactics with small clubs and by small clubs i mean League 2 or League 1 they would like to share? No doubt there someone will put a comment on here stating there is already a thread for this as there seems to be a thread for everything else lol

I second that, I have yet to see a detailed tested or proven methodology for a lower league inclusive of possibly 2 or more tactics used under different circumstances (home/away/favourites/underdog) and instructions (match prep/ teamtalks / OI / shouts) for over a few seasons that could prove to promote a lower league side to premier league in the least seasons possible.

I reckon plug&play tactics may not be possible in this case, however, for 2 or 3 different tactics. i do believe it can be done?

Thats because most people getting good results without using exploiting tactics/ reload/ fmscout/ fmrte etc with lesser teams.................

- That they play to the strengths Of the players and react to what they see on the pitch. They also focus on squad building and getting teamplayers, knowing that the game is not just about tactics.

As making threads about this approach takes à lot Of time, you rarely see them and especially not one that sums up the game as à whole. And as this person knows that as the actual tactics was made for his players/club etc, there is no reason to upload them as plug & play

Last edited:
Most of the time I use tactics like Goal's Galore, 4-2-3-1 Tottenham and the tactics of Raikan in the lower leagues. I only have to tweak a few things like not playing on Attack all the time, but sometimes Control of Counter Attack. And most of the times I play without a playmaker.

Depends also on what country you play in- I've had tactics that work great in Italy but awful in England.

don't get me wrong i appreciate it takes time to upload and detail a tactic which is partly why i haven't done it with my tactic. plus the fact that when it comes to computers i am about as much as the arsenal defence. i pretty much know how to play football manager and come on this site. i think i was mainly just getting frustrated with people constantly developing tactic for the same teams. i have had several games with lower league teams and i have found that the 4-2-4 (4-2-2-2) seems to work pretty well. i think it takes a lot more skill to develop a lower league team. with teams like barca, real, united, city etc the players are so good you could just play the default tactic and still win most of the matches.

don't get me wrong i appreciate it takes time to upload and detail a tactic which is partly why i haven't done it with my tactic. plus the fact that when it comes to computers i am about as much as the arsenal defence. i pretty much know how to play football manager and come on this site. i think i was mainly just getting frustrated with people constantly developing tactic for the same teams. i have had several games with lower league teams and i have found that the 4-2-4 (4-2-2-2) seems to work pretty well. i think it takes a lot more skill to develop a lower league team. with teams like barca, real, united, city etc the players are so good you could just play the default tactic and still win most of the matches.

I know where you are coming from. I have actually made à lower league approach, à direct 4411 focusing on counter attacks down the flanks and is really easy to apply in league one, two down to the lowest level. It works really well on mudddy pitches during jan-feb as well. The reason I have not uploaded it is but because when downloading à plug & play, people just expect too much. It but wont get you into the prem within 3 seasons ( but in 5;) ).

Every division has strong teams, right?, So we can compare those teams to the other ones, like Man Utd to Sunderland or Stoke, right? Ofc, if you find a upper division club you have to tweak the tatic so you dont get exposed in defence.

When i play Benfica in the portuguese league im a shark, but if i find myself away in Real Madrid's pitch i need another tatic or to tweak the ones i use, getting the mentality to normal, tackling to hard, more pressure in the midfiled, etc.

Its all a matter of proportion.

Every division has strong teams, right?, So we can compare those teams to the other ones, like Man Utd to Sunderland or Stoke, right? Ofc, if you find a upper division club you have to tweak the tatic so you dont get exposed in defence.

When i play Benfica in the portuguese league im a shark, but if i find myself away in Real Madrid's pitch i need another tatic or to tweak the ones i use, getting the mentality to normal, tackling to hard, more pressure in the midfiled, etc.

Its all a matter of proportion.

That is true to a certain extent with top division clubs from around europe but to ask the Barnet players to adapt the same tactics as Manchester United players would be a tough ask. Lower the league lower the standards so obviously would it be beneficial playing a playmaker or liberio etc? or would it be better havig b2b or bwm etc. so it is a case of there being tactics for prem teams and tactics for lower league teams

to ask the Barnet players to adapt the same tactics as Manchester United players would be a tough ask

Ofc! Thats why you have to tweak the tatic to work for your players. I dont like to train small teams, so i cant say nothing about it, its just my 0,02$

I tend to just select the top 11 players without looking at their positions then i go on tactics screen and move them around till their all green. I then look at the formation and if theres an obvious gap i start fixing it and buying players to fit in missing positions. Ive used this tactic since cm 4 and ive used it to get bath(2010) in the prem and to win the cl with blackpool(2011).

i used my tactic in league 1

Hi cragwsfc, I am also playing Sheff Wed!!
Can you kindly upload or provide your tactic used to produce an unbeaten season and 4 draws above?
I would be forever grateful if you can also advice on any changes on the tactic you've made during matches or season.
Thanks in advance! =)

Its just funner creating tactics for big teams because the players you have at your disposal give you more options while tactics for lower division teams tend to be one size fits all instructions with limited options

Hi

Your fustrations are justified but if you want your lower league team to play with a tactic designed for e.g barcelona, let me tell you that this is possible (See swansea play in real life you'll understand what i am saying). You need to understand the tactic first and then just play with the width depending on the size of the pitch. (Though i prefer classic setup)

Hi cragwsfc, I am also playing Sheff Wed!!
Can you kindly upload or provide your tactic used to produce an unbeaten season and 4 draws above?
I would be forever grateful if you can also advice on any changes on the tactic you've made during matches or season.
Thanks in advance! =)
it in the goals goals and more goals thread

I agree with you mate... I might be being harsh but I fail to believe that tactics that score 180 goals a season or w/e for Barcelona or Man united are actually good tactics if they don't work for lower league, it should be the catalyst, not the top team.

Back