Basque Brilliance - An Athletic Bilbao & Aitor Herrera Story

Klippybo

Premium
Reaction score
1646241563406.png

BASQUE BRILLIANCE - AN ATHLETIC BILBAO & AITOR HERRERA STORY

Right. I need a long term save that I can be fully committed too and will offer me both a challenge and inner fulfillment and so therefore I need to go to my FM go to save - Athletic Bilbao.

It does not come as a surprise to those who know but I always do this save. In FM12 I managed them for over 25 years and had one of the best ever regens, the mighty Aitor Herrera, and had him from 16-38y/o and he broke the game as he even appeared on Sky Sports websites as a real player!

The club itself was really successful in the 1930s and early 1980s which was when they last won a major trophy as they completed the league and cup double in 1983-84. They have never been relegated and that is all the more remarkable when you take into account that they only sign players who have Basque nationality and that is the constrictions I will be working under so this is the ultimate homegrown save.

--

SAVE RECORD

SEASONLA LIGACOPA DEL REYSUPERCOPA
2021-22

1646248923675.png

PRE-SEASON

I obviously had a fair idea of the squad heading into the save but on arrival I was seriously ****** off that both of my first choice full backs were out injured for a few months and not only that but one of them is refusing to sign a new contract. The injuries actually mean that I am forced to change my formation at the start of the season.

I had £20m to spend but the likes of Laporte and Griezmann were obvious no goes while all of the many Basque Real Sociedad players were not interested in coming to us so I am just hoping they have a fire sale at some point.

My aim for the season is quite simple - qualify for European football for next season. Real Madrid should be streets ahead, Atletico and even Barcelona should be ahead of us so we will be competing with Valencia, Villarreal, Sevilla and our bitterest rivals Real Sociedad for the continental places.

I made some backroom changes and extended the contracts of several players including some prospects in the system which not only committed them to the club for longer but also enlarged their buyout fee!

--

PLAYERS OUT

I have sold 2 players. 33y/o left back Mikel Balenziaga left us after 8 years at the club but at his age and with a willing buyer it was a no brainer. The same went for 32y/o Oscar De Marcos who after 12 years at the club left to join Getafe for £1.1m. Alas Iker Muniain, my captain, was upset that I sold De Marcos but I have adequate cover and he wasnt needed so he had to go even though it upset a few peeps.

--

PLAYERS IN

I had in mind to try and loan 16y/o Gavi from Barcelona to give him Basque nationality but alas that was a no go.

I did however spend £14.5m on a player that I have hardly heard of but astonishingly didnt realise he had Basque nationality! Hugo Guillamon was brought in from Valencia and the 21y/o can play naturally at DC, DMC and MC so he will play a key role for us in the future. He has 1 cap for Spain and I have signed him to play as a DC initially but he may end up at MC.
guillamon.png

My other 2 signings were 2 players for the future. 16y/o winger David Mella was signed from Fabril for a ridiculously cheap £235,000 fee and his value has rocketed up. Definitely one to work on for the future. My other signing was Iker Bravo from Bayer Leverkusen for £725,000. He is labelled as the next Fernando Morientes so if he can be as good as him I will be delighted! He will be involved with the first team squad as there is a chronic lack of quality strikers at the club so having him with the first team squad should hopefully push his development forwards.
mella.png

bravo.png

NOTE - I can sign 16y/o Spanish players as that gives them Basque nationality. Once they turn 17 I cannot bring them in.

--

PROMOTED PLAYERS

Along with Bravo 2 others have been called up to train with the first team and to be involved. Nico Serrano is an 18y/o LW who I have really high hopes for so he got the call up while 21y/o Juan Artola is a versatile attacking midfielder and he will be a decent squad filler.

--

SQUAD

SQUAD.png
SQUAD2.png

In any Athletic save you need a top class keeper and a top class striker in your ranks. Thankfully I have both!!!

Unai Simon is a quality keeper and at 24y/o he will be my keeper for years to come and in Agirrezabala I have a quality young replacement!

At DC I have plenty of options with Inigo Martinez, Nunez, Yeray, Guillamon and Vivian and it is due to that strength and depth, coupled with the injuries to my first choice full backs that I will start the season with a back 3 in a 5-2-3 wingback formation. When Capa and Yuri return I may switch to a back 4 but it will depend on form etc as both can play as wing backs.

At MC I will go with my 2 top prospects in Vencedor and Sancet however with Guillamon, Dani Garcia, Zarraga and Vesga I have options while if I am to play an AMC that will be when the veteran Raul Garcia comes into the side.

On the wings I have the legend that is Iker Muniain on the left with Serrano, Artola or Berenguer as backup while on the right I have the Williams' brothers. Inaki is a great player but I need to play him up front so his younger brother, 19y/o Nico, will be a regular. It is a huge opportunity for him and while he may be inconsistent just getting regular football will aid his development.

Finally in the striker position I will have to play Inaki Williams as my main man. He prefers to play on the RW but with his pace and decent finishing ability he is the natural choice to lead the line. Asier Villalibre, the trumpet playing fan favourite (see top of post), is a capable player if unspectacular and while Raul Garcia can play up top the lack of strength and depth meant that Iker Bravo got the call up.

1646337863024.png

Inaki Williams

AUGUST

celta.png

Lineup
- Simon, Yeray*, U.Nunez (Vivian), Inigo Martinez, Lekue, Berenguer, Vencedor (Dani Garcia), Sancet, N.Williams (Artola), Serrano (Muniain), I.Williams (Villalibre)

Asier Villalibre came off the bench to score a late winner here. It was a nothing match with hardly any chances but we got the lead late on and then they had a man sent-off so we saw the game out comfortably.

--

getafe.png

Lineup - Simon, Yeray, U.Nunez, Inigo Martinez, Lekue, Berenguer*, Vencedor, Sancet (Dani Garcia), N.Williams, Muniain (Serrano), I.Williams (Villalibre)

Nico Williams scored both goals for us as he met 2 Alex Berenguer crosses to score our goals as we edge out Getafe.

--

2-1.png

Lineup - Simon, Yeray, U.Nunez (Paredes), Inigo Martinez, Lekue (A.Nunez), Berenguer, Vencedor, Sancet (Vesga), N.Williams, Muniain, I.Williams*

DISCLAIMER - I was up at 4am this morning and put on the game and originally won the game 3-0 and posted the update but I forgot to save the game and switched the laptop off so the game was erased. I got a worse result 2nd time out but still got the win.

I now have to edit the rest of my original post!

--

SUMMARY

With 3 wins out of 3 I can have no complaints about how we have kicked off the season. Sure the fixture list was kind but to win all 3 and to to be level top is very pleasing. We didnt blow anyone away but we ground out the results and that gives us a great base to build upon.

We didnt sign any other players in the transfer window so we remain as we are and just hope my players return from injury sharpish!

Real Sociedad - our bitter rivals - are up next and we also have to play Barcelona next month.

--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
INAKI WILLIAMS

inaki.png

--

LA LIGA
table.png

Last edited:
1646467891263.png

Inaki Williams

SEPTEMBER

soc.png

Lineup
- Simon, Yeray (Guillamon), U.Nunez, Inigo Martinez, Lekue (A.Nunez), Berenguer, Vencedor, Sancet (Dani Garcia), N.Williams (Artola), Muniain*, I.Williams (Raul Garcia)

Derby day joy!!!! Iker Muniain scored in the 2nd minute and we managed to hold on from there thankfully. Guillamon came off the bench to make his debut finally.

--

granada.png

Lineup - Simon, Yeray, U.Nunez, Guillamon (Vivian), Lekue (A.Nunez), Berenguer, Vencedor, Sancet (Dani Garcia), I.Williams*, Muniain (Serrano), Villalibre (Raul Garcia)

5 wins out of 5! We exchanged penalties with Villalibre converting our effort but the game changed when they had a man sent-off as we gained more attacking possession and it paid off when Inaki Williams scored the winner.

--

barca.png

Lineup - Simon, Yeray, U.Nunez, Guillamon, Lekue (A.Nunez), Berenguer (Serrano), Vencedor, Sancet (Dani Garcia), I.Williams (Artola), Muniain, Villalibre (Raul Garcia)

Our 100% record is over as Barcelona beat us. The scoreline was narrow but in truth they could have scored 4 or 5. I really need Capa and Yuri back ASAP so I can go back to my tried and trusted 4-2-3-1 formation.

--

rayo.png

Lineup - Simon, Yeray, U.Nunez, Guillamon (Vivian), Lekue, Berenguer, Vencedor (Zarraga), Sancet, I.Williams*, Muniain, Villalibre (Bravo)

We bounce back with an easy win over Vallecano. Inaki Williams scored a double from the right wing while Villalibre converted a penalty. Iker Bravo came off the bench to make his debut here.

--

SUMMARY

We suffered our first defeat of the season this month as Barcelona defeated us but overall it was a decent month as we won our other fixtures and that included a derby victory against Real Sociedad.

Despite the strong results the team hasnt quite clicked yet as we have been denied several players through injury such as Capa, Yuri, Inigo Martinez and Nico Williams so hopefully we can further improve in time.

--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
INAKI WILLIAMS
williams.png

--

LA LIGA
SEP.png

I have ****** this save up already!!!!

I forgot to load up the lower divisions in Spain so while I can add the leagues at the end of the season it kinda hampers my young players development in the B team which is absolutely vital in any Athletic save!

Raging.

I have ****** this save up already!!!!

I forgot to load up the lower divisions in Spain so while I can add the leagues at the end of the season it kinda hampers my young players development in the B team which is absolutely vital in any Athletic save!

Raging.

What's the plan? You seem early enough into the save to try again from the start?

You've had a great start on the other hand though, so...