Beach ball ref given Premier rest

• Thread starter Thread starter BBC Sport
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 13
  • Views Views 931

BBC Sport

BBC Sport News Headlines
Reaction score
Mike Jones, who incorrectly awarded Darren Bent's goal for Sunderland against Liverpool, will not officiate in the Premier League this weekend.

More...

thats so stupid, if it was outside the big four nothing would be done, this guy would be praised

don´t really get all that fuss about this, it´s gutting for liverpool, but the beachball might just as well have changed the direction of the ball over the bar or past the post or whatever at which point liverpool wouldn´t be ******** about it, instead it would probably be the other way round... it´s not like Bent aimed for the beachball or anything... something similar happened in the german cup final last year, back then it was a ball made of paper that got thrown onto the pitch which then influenced the trajectory of the ball and lead to a corner that never would´ve been given if that thing wouldn´t have been in the way, that corner lead to the the winning goal for the other team...

i thought the goal was valid though. after all, the ball was probably thrown in by a reds fan. just wondering if the fan who threw it in did not want the penalty to stand and was hoping for the ref to rule out the goal because of disturbance. i feel that the ref should not be punished and was right to award the goal

it was a liverpool beachball that fan will be hated!
but then again, if the goal was disallowed, that guy would be a hero in the eyes of the liverpool fans and villain in the eyes of the sunderland fans. :)

but then again, if the goal was disallowed, that guy would be a hero in the eyes of the liverpool fans and villain in the eyes of the sunderland fans. :)

well, more like boy, he is only about 10 years old.

Harsh. I wonder what the reaction would have been if he didn't allow the goal.

cmh9090 what the **** are you going on about? If the goal was disallowed why would we praise the person who threw it on the pitch? If the beach ball wasn't there then there's a 99% chance Reina would of just saved it comfortably as it was going straight for him.

On the case of the referee being banned, it's pretty harsh. If he didn't see the ball strike the beach ball then he can't disallow it, there were a lot of bodies in the way and to me at first it looked like it just came off Johnson.

Wsnt the refs fault. To be honest fans who trow stuff onto the pitch should be banned anyway.

relax, lee, just kidding. anyway,the incident's already over and its time to move on :D

Back