Good first season.

I like the way the Director named the stadium after himself.

Thanks mate. Yeah the director is the guy that created the original database, so I guess he put in a stadium move when setting it up and named it after himself. If i had noticed this when ammending the database I probably would have changed it to the George Best Arena or Danny Blanchflower Stadium or something with a more Belfast meaning.

2020-01-10 (2).png

No sooner than the season had finished that I was immediately thinking about how I could improve the team and what we needed to do to push us to the next level. I felt with a good transfer window we could push for top 10 with an outside chance of a European place. The £131m transfer given to me by the board would certianly help, but I was of the thinking that a couple of really good players was probably a better approach than wholesale changes. Of course having the players for a complete pre-season would also be a great help.

Obviously we played a number of friendlies and they went pretty much as I had hoped, though the ****** Olympics robbed me of a number of players for most of pre-season including a couple of my new signings.

2020-02-01 (2).png

A lot of games over in the states meant a lot of rotation and a mixed bag of results, on the plus side we have most of the squad fit for the satrt of the season which was the main aim. The Lincoln game I tried to play as many of the youngsters and squad players as possible and it kind of backfired. However we went full strength against the mighty Barcelona, and whilst they weren't, they still had about 7/8 of their starting 11 including Messi, and we beat them 1-0 and truthfully the score flattered them we should have won by a couple more.

So who had we brought in to allow us to compete with Barcelona?

2020-01-30 (1).png

Firstly the outs. A number of our younger players going on loan for some first team action, it worked a treat with a few of our guys last year and I'm hoping the regular gametime will help them improve and we can reap the benefits in future seasons. The only sale was John Ruddy who was the victim of a good loan period for our young keeper who would now be our back up meaning that Ruddy was surplus to requirements. Newly promoted Birmingham tried to buy a number of our players but Ruddy was the only one they managed to get over the line.

Noiw onto the ins:

2020-01-30 (2).png

I felt that we were in need of a new centre back, as a couple we had in the squad hadn't impressed me over the course of the season. The young Turk was a snip at £19m from Juventus. Really good mentals, physicals and strong in the best areas for a centre back. He would be my starting centre half whilst there would be a bit of a fight as to who would partner him.

2020-01-30 (3).png

I felt we lacked a cutting edge last year, couple that with Zlatan retiring and Daramy going on loan we needed probably a couple of recuits up front. The young Mexican came through on a scout report and he looked to have a number of the qualities I was looking for. He could play a couple of positions, could finish, pass, was fairly pacy and had a decent set of mentals. £16.5m was probably more than I needed to pay but to ensure he got a work permit I payed a little extra. I think this guy could be a top striker for us.

2020-01-30 (4).png

Having let one of our back up full backs go out on loan we needed another back up. Transfer listed for £5m and pretty well rounded for a full backso I swooped in and brought him in. I think he'll do a job when needed.

2020-01-30 (5).png

The middle of the park was our weakest area, and when I spotted this guy on the transfer list I had to bring him in. £40m up front and £30m over 3 years makes him our biggest signing by a distance. I'm hoping he can sprinkle a bit of class over our midfield and as he can happily play either the BBM or AP roles that we play with I'm hoping for big things!

2020-01-30 (6).png

With Palace relegated last season Zaha was another player who found himself on the transfer list and as none of our 3 right sided players had pulled up any trees last season I jumped at the chance to bring him in. Can play either side, is lightening quick with decent crossing and finishing Zaha is another player I'm hoping will help take us to the next level, and for £38.5m a bit of a bargin.

2020-01-30 (7).png

We were still a bit light up front and Mason was loan listed so I thought yes please. Will probably be 3rd choice just because he isn't my player but I still expect him to play plenty of games and hopefully get a few goals for us too.

So what do you think of the signing? Will they be enough to push into the top half, maybe higher?

2020-01-10 (2).png

After our transfer business and our first full pre-season together I was going into the new season fairly confident. I didn't think we'd be anywhere near the relegation places and thought we had an outside chance of making the European places. The cups were still going to be on the back burner as I think becoming an established Premier League team was more important, that said I would mind a bit of a run in one of the cups.

Our league campaign would see us entertain both Chelsea and Norwich and travel to take on Fulham on the first weekend and Bournemouth on the final Saturday of the month. I felt we should be taking points from all except the Chelsea game and even that game was at home so you never know. A lot would depend on how well our new signings settled.

2020-02-08 (3).png

If you had offered me 2 wins and 2 draws at the start of the month I'd have ripped your arm off, however I don't think I'd have guessed which matches we'd draw. Against newly promoted Fulham I decided to go a bit more attacking and played with a number 10 rather than a DM, and that decision looked to have backfired when Fulham opened the scoring 5 minutes before half time. However just before the hour mark our number 10 Morilla equalised. MotM Cavalerio restored Fulhams lead on 77 minutes and it took a late leveler from Livaja to get us anything from the game. We had been the better team and deserved at least a point.

Against Chelsea I was concerned. We had just failed to beat a newly promoted team and now we had a team who would be looking to win the league. With this in mind we dropped the number 10 and brought back the DM in the hope of being a bit more solid defensively. Whatever we did it didn't seemed to have worked when Chelsea went 1 up inside of 5 minutes. However we responded well, really well and goals from Kuzyaev, Arthur and a brace from new striker Macias put us 4-1 up at the break. We took our foot off the gas a bit in the second half and Barkley did get a 2nd for Chelsea but we were very comfortable.

On a high after hammering Chelsea we welcomed Norwich to the Venner Stadium and we turned on the style again with another convincing win. Another brace from Macias, who has hit the ground running, Arthur and Bellingham gave us the points. I'm dissapointed to have conceed to Pukki and not kept a clean sheet but the 3 points is the most important thing.

Next up we had Championship Reading in the Carabo cup. I had taken the decision to make 11 changes and to completely rest a number of our top players. We were in totally in control of the game until a dodgy penalty gave them the lead on the stroke of half time. They came out all guns blazing to start the second half and got a second which pretty much wrapped up the game. We got a consolation goal late on from Livaja but I wasn't happy at all and I let the guys no it!

We went to Dean Court and the big hitters were all back in the starting 11 and we got off to a flyer with a goal in the 3rd minute from Kuzyaev. Bournemouth got a 9th minute penalty and that was all the scoring for the day. We were by far the better team and created far more chances than them but we couldn't get the winner. An unbeaten month isn't to be sniffed at and we would end the month 6th.

2020-01-10 (2).png

After a good 1st month of the season I was keen to push on and try and get as many points on the board as possible whilst we were playing well. September would see us play only games but all against very challenging opponents. We be home to Man City and Arsenal and travel to the King Power Stadium to take on a very good Leicester side. This would be a big test for us and we could easily lose a three games.

2020-02-08 (4).png

City will feel hard done by to have gotten nothing from this game. We had slightly more possession but they were the team creating the chances, and when Aguero put them 1 up just before the break, it was nothing more than they deserved. I gave the guys a bit of the hairdryer treatment at half time and it seemed to spark them back into life, and Younes got us on level terms not long into the second half. After this the game reverted back to how it had been in the first half with City creating more but not really threatening. They on the stroke of full time the ball broke to the edge of the city box and Kuzyaev smashed in the winner. I went mad the crowd went wild and the 3 points were in the bag.

So in good form and on a high from beating City we travelled to Leicester for the Friday Night Football, and Jose Juan Macias put on a masterclass. A hat trick for the lad meant that Vardys 81st minute goal meant nothing. That said on another day we could have lost this game as Leicester had plenty of chances and were wasteful in front of goal.

When Arsenal arrived at the Venners Stadium we were full of confidence and I actually thought we could win this game. We started the game quikley and Meuneir gave us the lead with a smart drive across the keeper. We continued to dominate all the way until half time but failed tio take any further chances. Arsenal kicked off the second half and we pressed them forcing them bak to the keeper. Leno then punted aimlessly upfield only for our defense to still be in the tunnel and Smith-Rowe ran onto the clearance and scored the equaliser. Try as we might we couldn't get the winner ou play deserved and had to settle for a point. It shows how far we have come when we are disappointed with a draw against Arsenal.

This left the table like this, and we were still unbeaten.

2020-01-29.png

2020-01-10 (2).png

We had started well and I was hopeful that we could continue that good form into October. We faced trips to Watford and Everton, which could be two tricky games, whilst we would entertain West Ham and Huddersfield. 4 games that I would be looking to pick up points fro all of the games and in turn keep alive our early season form.

2020-02-08 (3).png

Watford play the 5 at the back system which we really struggled against last season, however it looked like we would have no such problems this season when Zaha opening the scoring in the first minute. It was a fairly even game after that and both teams had chances and in the 55th minute Watford got their equaliser. They did have a man sent off in injury time but on the balance of play a draw was pribably the right result.

Next up was newly promoted Huddersfield and I was keen to take all 3 points from this game. They came to defend and try and senk a goal on the break and this allowed us to dominate possession, however we were doing very little with it. We got our goal from centre half Demiral from a free kick half way through the first half. Not much else happened in the first half as we struggled to break them down. The second half had little of note with the exception of a missed, or rather saved Hudderfield penalty. We contined to keep the ball but created little but probably deserved the win overall.

So after the drab game against Huddersfield we had a really entertaining game against Everton. The game went back and forth between two evenly matched teams. Everton took the lead through Calvert-Lewin inside 20 minutes and we got a quick reply 7 minutes later. We managed to take the lead 2 minutes before the break when Zaha got his 2nd of the game. The second half continued to be an open affair and Everton got back on terms in the 65th minute when Gomes fired home from the edge of the area. Another draw but again a fair result. Based on todays game I'd imagine ourselves and Everton will finish in similar positions come the end of the season.

The fianl match of the month saw a struggling West Ham side arrive in Belfast. Given their form I was confident of a win, and win we certainly did. We we two up by half time thanks to goals from Macias and Zaha. Two more in the 2nd half a penalty from Kurzawa and a 89th minute cherry on top from Livaja rounded off a great display from the team. This win had left us sitting in 3rd place and still unbeaten in the league. Top half was definately looking on and a European place may not be out of the question if we can jkeep this form up.

2020-01-10 (2).png

As we moved into November we were still unbeaten in the league and the morale amongst the lads was at an all time high. With games against Burnley, Brighton and Spurs I was keen to exten our unbeaten run even further.

2020-02-08 (2).png

Away at Burnley is never an easy game. They are a big physical side who play direct football and you always knew you'd been in game. It was a good game that either side could have won. We went one up early through Zaha however Burnley were back on terms inside 10 minutes, and thats how it stayed until just before the hour mark when Burnley took the lead. We got our deserved equaliser with 20 minutes left thanks to on loan striker Mason Greenwood.

Brighton arrived at the Venners Stadium and we swiftly put to the sword thanks to a masterclass of Arthur. Two goals inside 30 minutes from the Brazilian midfielder had wrapped up the 3 points. Left back Kurzawa added a 3 just before the final whistle to complete a comfortable win.

Our unbeaten run was then ended when we traveled to Spurs. It was a case of them taking their chances and us not taking ours. Spurs took the lead on 9 minutes, but we would be level again straight from the kick off. However 2 goals in 2 minutes just after the half hour mark meant the points stayed in London and our unbeaten start to the season was over. Despite the defeat we still sat fourth in the table and European football for next season was looking like a good bet.

2020-02-08.png

2020-01-10 (2).png

So as usual December was going to be a busy month, and we'd need to use the squad in order to get through it. I was keen not to let our fist defeat of the season effect us too much but with league leaders Liverpool up next that might be eaiser said than done. After the Liverpool game we'd have winble games at home to Southampton and away to Birmingham. The next 3 games would then see us entertain Man U, travel to Wolves before welcoming Everton to the Venners. These three games could help shape our season as these were teams who along with ourselves we fighting for the European places and so wins in these games could prove invaluable come the end of the season.

2020-02-20 (2).png

Defeat to Liverpool wasn't entirely unexpected and they are begining to open up a bit of a gap at the top of the table. It could have been different though. Liverpool toook the lead almost from kick off and our already damaged confidence took another knock, but credit to the lads and they fought back and got a foothold in the game and by the time half time rolled around we were 2-1 up thanks to goals from Macias and Arthur. The 2nd half though Liverpool blew us away with a quickfire brace for Salah and a late penalty for Dybala rounding off the scoring. I was worried how much damage back to back defeats would do to morale.

I had no need to worry. Against a struggling Southampton side we were dominant. They had one attack the entire game 2 shots on target one the keeper push over for a corner and the 2nd a headed goal from the corner. That was 2 minutes in and they bareky touched the ball for the remainder of the match. Zaha got us back on level terms just before the half hour mark and Morilla scored the winner just after the break. We could and probably should have score more but I was just glad to be back to winning ways again.

We travelled to St. Andrews to take on bottom of the table Birmingham, and given that the games were coming thick and fast this month I thought this would be a good time to rest a few players, and boy did those who had come into the team really put down a marker and show why maybe they deserved more game time. Goals from Maksimovic, Livaja, Younes, Thompson and Man left our former keeper Ruddy and his teammates on the wrong side of a thumping.

Next up was the home game against last years runners-up Man U, and what followed was probably our best preformance since the club was founded. We won every battle and out preformed them in every aspect of the game. First half goals from Zaha and Kurzawa were followed by two late goals from Macias and Demiral gave us a deserved and comfortable win.

The Wolves game had a bit of a after thr Lord Mayors show feel to it. We'd been so good against United and then every bit as bad against Wolves. We created nothing and struggled to even get a shot on target (2 in the entire game). We really had keeper Gunn to thank for the point as he had an outstanding game and kept us in it on more than one occasion to get a completely undeserved point.

The final Game of the month would see us entertain a very good Everton side who were performing well this season. We edged things and were definately worth the 3 points but it was another tight affair which could easily have gone the other way. Goals from Man and Thompson wrapped up the 3 points and maen that Tom Davies late strike was nothing more than a consolation.

All of this meant the table looked like this:

2020-02-13.png

Liverpool are starting to pull away from everyone else but we are still in the fight for a top four place which is well above what I thought we'd be able to achieve this season. I must admit I'm still waiting for the wheels to come off and for us to drop like a stone to lower mid table.

2020-01-10 (2).png

Much like December, January was going to be a busy month, six matches in all including a tricky FA Cup 3rd tie away to Championship leaders Crystal Palace. We also had league games with Watford and Wolves at home and trips to face Arsenal, Huddersfield and Chelsea. By no means an easy set of games and with a number of mid-week games too we'd have to rotate when possible.

2020-02-20 (3).png

First up was Palace away in the cup and we ritated the squad heavily making 7 changes. I would say that it backfired but we were the better team and probably should have at least a draw, but it wasn't to be. Palace went 1 up early doors but a goal from Man had us on terms before the break. We continued to dominate the ball and the chances but failed to take any of them and with 20 minutes to go Palace made us pay for wasteful finishing when the broke away from a corner and scored the winner. The cup wasn't a priority but I can't pretend I'm not disappointed with the result.

Watford came and played like a team happy to take a draw. They defened deep and were happy to concede possession to us. We scored early with a Younes goal on 9 minutes and I thought that might draw them out a bit, but the continued to sit back and managed to hit us on the break on the half hour mark to send the teams in level at the break. Just after the break though Morilla scored the winner and secured the points for us.

Away to Arsenal is never a easy game and so it proved. The first half the teams kind of cancelled each other out with Arsenal shading things if anything. The second half continued in much the same vein and when Macias put us ahead just before the hour I thought we might be about to steal a win, however Arsenal had other ideas and pulled a goal back less than 10 minutes later. Arsenal were probably the better side with a bit more of the ball and a few extra chances so I was happy to take a point.

Huddersfield were struggling at the wrong end of the table so I thought it would be a good chance to rest a few players. It was certainly a game were defenses were on top with very few chances and both teams reduced to pot shots from range. A very dissapointing performance but a draw was the correct result as neither team had done enough to win it.

Wolves were up next and I thought it'd be a tight affair as Wolves are another team I'd say we were on a par with. As it turned out it wasn't so much tight as it was poor. Neither side looked like winning. Wolves had gone in front on 29 minutes and it looked for long periods like that might be enough to take all 3 points until Arthur popped up on 74 minutes with an equaliser. Another draw and another below par performance, our attacking players just aren't firing at the minute.

Away to Chelsea and another draw, which isn't too bad a result and at least we created chances and scored a couple of goals. Zaha had put us in front in the 38th minute after a great through ball from Meunier. Chelsea got level from a corner on 57 minutes and thats how it stayed until the 80th minute when an Abraham goal had Chelsea thinking they had won the game and barring a 94th minute equaliser from Macias to grab us a point they would have done. This kind of felt like a win and although we were unbeaten in the league we had dropped of the pace a bit thanks to 4 draws.

The league looked like this at the end of January:

2020-02-19.png

Liverpool are starting to run away with it and we had been fighting it out with City for 2nd but those draws have cost us and taken us back into the pack meaning Champions League qualifiction was in the balance and we'd need to pick up our form if that was to happen.

January is of course transfer window time. I wasn't really looking to bring anyone in But there were a couple that I'd happily move on given the right offer. In the end we signed a couple of youngsters on pre-contract deals and I'll show you them when they join in the summer. A number of players did leave though, mainly on loan and generally because they were complaining about game time and then playing rubbish when they are given a chance.

2020-02-21.png

Gigot and Thompson both wanted to leave due to lack of game time. Noboby wanted to part with anywhere near enough cash to buy Thompson so a fee paying loan suits both parties and hopefully he can play well enough that we can sell him in the summer. Gigot had fallen down the pecking order and was a liability every time he played, so to move him on for a profit was pleasing. The other two have gone on loan to try and get them game time and try and get them closer to fulfilling their potential though I fear they may never be good enough to play for us and may well be sold sooner than later.

Last edited:
2020-01-10 (2).png

Febuary we would only have 3 games, something that could be good in allowing players time to rest or recover from injuries. I was also keen to get a win on the board following 4 straight draws in January. With homes games against struggling Fulham and Birmingham I had already earmarked these as games we should be picking up all 3 points from. Sandwiched between was the decidely tougher task of an away trip to Old Trafford. United we one of 4 or 5 teams, which included ourselves looking to claim the final 2 Champions League spots, so this wasn't so much a must win as a mustn't loose.

2020-02-26 (5).png

The Fulham game was just what the doctor ordered. We completely controlled the game so much so that they didn't manage a shot on target and only had 3 shots in total. We went 1 up early in the first half through Zaha and double our lead on the stroke of half time thanks to Macias. Macias the doubled his personal tally in the 76th minute when he put us three up and the game beyond any doubt.

I was nervous going into the United game, and even moreso when a player I'd looked at in the summer, Barbosa, opened the scoring on 25 mintues. United had controlled the game up to this point and contined to do so until half time. I gave the lads a bit of the hairdryer treatment at half time, channeling my inner Fergie, and I got a response. We got back into the game and were creating a few chances here and there but weren't taking any of them. Just as it looked like a 1-0 defeat up popped Zaha in the 93rd mintue with an equaliser. I'd take that a point away to United wasn't a bad point at all.

Birmingham were still rooted to the bottom of the table, a place they had held for much of the season, and given we had put 5 past them at St. Andrews I was confident of a win. A bit of rotation, some of it enforced due to a couple of knocks, but I knew we'd be too good for them, and so it proved. In fairness to them they managed to frustrate us until almost half time when Zaha opened the scoring on 44 minutes. The 2nd half saw us score a further three thanks to a penalty from Kurzawa, a header from a corner from centre half Komar and an 89th minute effort from Livaja. A good win but one that was expected.

2020-02-21 (1).png

The top 2 places look beyond us mainly as I don't see either of the top two cdropping that many points from now to the end of the season. At the start of the season I'd have been more than happy to qualify for the Europa League, however as the season has panned out I think I'd be dissappointed not to finish in the Champions League spots, though I have a really bad feeling we may miss out.

2020-01-10 (2).png

Two trips to the south coast to take on Southampton and Brighton whilst the only visitors to the Venners this month would be runaway leaders Liverpool. This month could easily go badly with both Brighton (15th) and Southampton (17th) in need of points to pull them away from the relegation zone, and Liverpool looking a cut above everyone esle this season.

2020-02-26 (6).png

So 2 points from a possible 9 was not the return I was hoping for. The Southampton game we rode our luck and were probably lucky tyo get a draw. Southampton took the lead in the first hald and we needed Zaha to rescue us again with a 90th minute equaliser. I was starting to see the Champions League dream fade.

Liverpool arrived in town and I was sure we'd loose. They had been spanking teams of late and I was sure w were next up especially given how we'd performed at Southampton. Anyway in came the DM for the AMC in an attempt to make us a bit more solid and it looked to have made no difference when Salah scored with Liverpools first attack in the 6th minute. After that they had a bit more possession and a few more shots but it was us who were creating the better opportunities, all be it not taking them, until with 27 minutes on the clock Macias scored after a good ball over the top to make it 1-1. The game followed this theme for the reminder of the game with them having more shots and more of the ball but us having the more clear cut chances, that was until the 79th minutes when VAR awarded Liverpool a penalty. Replays suggested it was soft and when Gunn made the save it felt like justice had been done. 1-1 final score I was happy enough with that.

What I was far from happy with was our performace and the result against Brighton. It was probably the worse we had played all season and Brighton completely deserved the 3 points. They hit us on the break time and again, and they played the 5 at the back system we really struggle against, the defended well and took a couple of the chances that came their way. A big result for them and could go a long way to secure their Premier League safety.

That poor month had seen us slip to 4th and we were now looking over our shoulder as United, Everton, Arsenal, Chelsea and Spurs were closing in!

2020-01-10 (2).png

April was going to be a very important month. We had been struggling of late and not been picking up as many points as I'd like and that was a trend we would have to reverse if we wanted to make it into the Champions League. Four games this month, three of which I feel we really need to win to keep or top 4 aspirations alive. Spurs had been improving after a poor start and were now back in the fight for the European places, West Ham, Burnley and Bournemouth were all in the wrong half of the table and teams we need to be beating.

2020-02-26 (7).png

What a ding dong battle the Spurs game was, great for the neutral but not for me I can tell you! Spurs took the lead on 3 minutes through Edouard, who always scores against us, before goals either side of the break from Zaha and Morilla put us 2-1 up. However no sooner had we got ourselves in front than Spurs were back on terms thanks to another Edouard strike. Not to be outdone Zaha added his 2nd and our 3rd ten minutes later and I thought that wmay be the 3 points in the bag, however Son had other ideas and equalised with less than 10 minutes to go. I was happy to take the point as Spurs were one of the form sides in the league, luckly my players weren't and Zaha popped up with an injury time winner and completin his hat trick.

Next up was West Ham and after the Spurs game I was more than happy with a dull 1-0 win. Not too much entertain on show from either side in this one and we nicked the 3 points thanks to a Arthur strike from the edge of the box on 26 minutes.

Burnley arrived in deep trouble firmly in the relegation zone and I was confident we'd pick up another 3 points. However they sat deep and defended well, allowed us to have the ball and challenged us to break them down, and we couldn't. We had plenty of possession and shots but very little in the way of actually chances. Really dissapointed with this performance and just hope it doesn't bite us come the end of the season.

Bournemouth were another team who found themselves towards the bottom of the table, not involved in the relegation scrap but not going to finish top half either. I was hoping that they were already on the beach and we'd easily pick up the win, and so it proved. They rarely threatened and goal just after half time from Kuzyaev and Marcias sealed the win and all 3 points for us.

A good month had left us sitting in 3rd. We didn't have things in our own hands though as the teams in 5th 6th and 7th had several games in hand over us, which if Everton, United and Arsenal all won, and scored a few goals in Arsenals case, could move above us into the Champions League places. The only plus from our point of view were the number of games these teams, and Man City had to play in the final month of the season.

2020-01-10 (2).png

So the final month of the season and we were in 3rd place, well above what I or the board thought was possible. We still had a fight on our hands to get one of those Champions League Places though with by now 3 teams for 2 places (Arsenal had blown their chances by loosing one of the games in hand). We had games against mid-table Norwich and Leicester and the final game of the season against 2nd placed City, lets just hope we have managed to get a top four place wrapped up before then.

2020-02-26 (4).png

Norwich was possibly even duller than the West Ham game, there was one half chance between the 2 teams over 90 minutes. However another Arthur drive this time from just inside the box got us te win we needed. This left us 3rd but both United and Everton also won, and with them both playing twice before we kick off against Leicester we could find ourselves 4th on goal difference only with them still having games in hand.

We went into the Leicester game a little more relaxed. United had won both their games, however Everton had dropped points mid-week meaning that the could still catch us but our goal difference was miles better so it was looking more likely that we'd qualify as long as we could win both games. So naturally we blew that chance and I was raging! We went 2-0 inside half an hour thanks to Livaja and Zaha goals and were cruising, and if I'm honest cruised te entire game, however Leicester then scored with their only 2 shots on target, one a header from a free kick the other a long punt upfield after our corner and suddenly things were in the bbalance again.

Going into the final week of the season we sat 3rd, two points ahead of United in 4th and 4 ahead of Everton in 5th, however they had 3 games left to our 1 but they had all 3 games in one week and so like our opponents City had to play Wednesday, Friday and Sunday. By the time we went kicked off against City Everton had won 1 and lost one meaning all we had to do was match either Everton or Uniteds results and we'd be in the Champions League (at least I think thats how it was I played these games a few days ago)
City came into the game with a fairly rotated side with a few players already knackered given that they had played 2 games already this week I felt they were there for the taking. Despite their tired legs it was an even game, though an early goal fro Macias did relax us a little. City had the better chances but we had more of the ball and that was the pattern of the game the whole way through. We scored our second with a break away in the 70th minute and a 2nd on the night for Macias.

All of this and the other results meant the final table looked like this:

2020-02-26 (2).png

2020-02-26.png

We had done it. Everton lost their last 2 games of the season meaning we would be at the top table of European football next season. It was more than I expected and we'd need a good window to improve the squad, though I had picked up a couple of tasty free agents, who didn't want to talk to me to start with but that changed once we had guaranteed European football. It will be an exciting summer ahead.

With that in mind the board had agreed the following transfer budget:

2020-02-26 (1).png

We have a few positions that we needed to improve but with this budgets plus a couple of sales I'm sure we can get the players in we need.

In terms of awards Arthur was the big winner, though Young Player at 24? Really?

2020-02-26 (5).png

Despite a dip in form towards the end of the season along with some time playing on the left wing our young Mexican Striker scooped top goalscorer.

2020-02-26 (8).png

Arthur picked up the Young Player award

2020-02-26 (9).png

We had a couple of players in the team of the year:

2020-02-26 (10).png

I got manager of the month for May but didn't even make the top 3 in manager of the year.

2020-02-26 (15).png

So with the season drawing to a close I knew I had a busy summer. Champions League football maent we would need a deeper squad but also a stronger starting 11, I just hoped we could find the right players to bring in to improve us whilst trying not to break the bank.