danjames101

Reaction score
I've been contemplating writing a story on here for a while. Whilst slightly intimidated by some of the author's on here, I'm going to give it a go anyway!

The big decision I had to make now was - just who would I take over? I toyed with the idea of taking a lower league team to the top flight in their leagues, but that's been done a fair bit. I wanted to manage a team i've never managed before on FM. After much deliberation (5mins or so) I decided on going to Serbia and picking Partizan.

View attachment 47640

Now for all the cynics out there, yes i know Partizan are one of, if not the best team in that league. I've done this as I want to build this club to a european contender and this will be my main goal. Right now Partizan are so far away from that, compared to the infamous European powerhouses of Barcelona, Man Utd etc. Yes domestic success is always nice and I'm confident we can achieve domestic dominance, with Red Star our main competition. The biggest draw for me regarding managing in Serbia, is that Serbia produces so many quality youngsters! The list of amazing Serbian wonderkids throughout the years on FM has been vast, and hopefully we unearth a few here!

The big day is finally upon me, as i back my bags and head to Belgrade!

View attachment 47639

It's official, I'm the new manager of Partizan Belgrade. A club with a rich and distinguished history, I hope to add to the crowded trophy cabinet in my time here.

View attachment 47638

1966 - What a year for football! Partizan finished runners up in the then, European Cup. Oh and some fella called Geoff Hurst scored a few for England, who knew?!

View attachment 47637

Apparently we're not favourites for the title! Our nemesis Red Star were always going to be our biggest threats jostling for position as the country's best. Fingers crossed by the end of the season the media will be made to eat their words as we prove Red Star aren't even the best team in Belgrade, let alone the country!

Now i'm here I'm keen to review what kind of talent i have at my disposal.

View attachment 47636

Having a good goalie is always a nice bonus. Stojkovic has great experience and his attributes are very good for this standard of football. Will definitely be my 1st choice keeper for this season.

View attachment 47635

Probably the only player in the squad I've heard of before, that being said my knowledge of current Serbian league players is...well shocking at best. Tosic was a fine example in his younger days of the kind of young talent Serbia is famous for. He showed that much promise during his first spell at Partizan (2007-2009) that he was signed by Sir Alex Ferguson at Manchester United. Things didn't work out for Zoran in Manchester and was shipped off on loan to Koln before moving to CSKA Moscow in 2010, where he spent 7 years, scoring 37 goals in 182 games. Not bad for a winger! He rejoined Partizan in 2017. I hope he will help lead this team.

View attachment 47634

This is the player I'm most excited about. Seydouba is an extremely gifted AMC who will be the primary creator in our side. I hope to build the team around his skills, and hopefully he can carry me to success. For this league, he's a real special talent.

Pre-Season Friendlies

View attachment 47633

Wow what a poor set of results. I let my Assistant manage the friendlies, as I was still undecided on a formation/system we should play. Safe to say I won't be putting too much trust in him going forward, but that's the beauty of friendlies...they mean nothing but a fitness exercise.

Budget
I was given just over 1Mil in transfer budget, with a spare 13.75k a week for wages. I'm the type of manager who always to spend whatever budget available to improve the squad. You'll see from the majority of the signings below, I'm keen to build a young team with a strong Serbian core. Although not many will be first teamer's this year, i hope they develop into that going forward. Here's who I've brought in :-

View attachment 47632
200k (250k with add-ons)
Ok Jovancic isn't a spring chicken, but at 26, he's hardly over the hill either. A good passer of the ball, I envisage him being a vital part of the possession based football i plan on bringing to the club. If it all goes wrong, i'm sure i can shift him on to another club and not lose too much on him. A gamble worth taking.

View attachment 47631
A young and versatile midfielder who can play on either wing or through the middle. At only 18 and with some of his stats already, I feel we can bring his game on a lot. It may not be his breakthrough year this season, but if he continues to develop, i see him being a starter for many years to come.

View attachment 47630
Naturally a centre mid, Petrovic can also naturally play as an AMC or AMR. Like Mesarovic, he's made great strides in his young career and with the right guidance, will be a vital part of the clubs future.

View attachment 47629
Another teenager through the door, this time Milos Zlicic. At 17, he's already a good player, but he'll have to wait for his time to shine, as there's an array of players in front of him. He would eventually be sent out on loan to gain first team experience.

View attachment 47628
This to be honest was a bit of a punt. Sormaz has some good attributes for a player of his age, and believe my coaching staff can bring his game on. At only 50k, I'm sure we'll make a profit on him regardless.

Now onto the important stuff. Having finished last year as Champions, we were set to compete in the Champions League Qualifying Rounds. We would enter at the 2nd Qualifying Round, and were matched against Hungarian side Honved, with the 1st leg being played away in Budapest.

View attachment 47627
A good solid away performance, and a clean sheet to boot. Got to be happy with that start. I started using a 4231 formation as I was keen to utilise the 3 behind the striker, as that's where a lot of our talent lies. This proved to be the case as Tosic (AMR) opened the scoring in the 7th minute. Not to be outdone though, Soumah (AMC) doubled our advantage in the second half. However Man of the Match went to Jankovic (AML) who created both goals from the left flank.

View attachment 47626
View attachment 47625
Having lead 2-0 from the first game, and with one foot in the next round, I decided to try a tactic I've used before. 3421. No this isn't a 3 with 2 wingbacks, it's a flat midfield 4 with 2 AMC and 1 striker. It was ballsy to say the least, but I want Partizan to be a passing possession side, certainly against an inferior team. It worked wonders, we were rampant! Naturally i was pleased with the tactic and another Soumah goal but 4 goals from Ozegovic (deputising for the injured 1st choice striker Tawamba) were the icing on top of the cake. 64% posession made me extremely happy too! A 9-2 aggregate win ensure's we're in the draw for Qualifying round 3.

View attachment 47624
Hmmm this isn't exactly the ideal draw for us. Olympiakos are season Champions League go'ers and have some real talent in their ranks. This is certainly going ot be a test.

View attachment 47623
Mixed Emotions really. We competed against a stronger side really well for the 90 mins, though none of my players really stood out, performance wise it was fairly average . Whilst we failed to score at home despite having 8 shots on target from 18 shots, we didn't concede either, and limited them to 1 shot on target! This was even more pleasing when you consider I went very bold and stuck with the 3421 formation I used in the second leg vs Honved. A big 2nd leg coming up!!!

View attachment 47622
Radnicki were tipped to finish 3rd, so i knew this wasn't going to be a walk over, especially following a tough midweek game in the UCL. Whilst the 0-1 scoreline flatters them, I was pleased to keep naother clean sheet, and dominate possession again. 3 points is all that matters!

View attachment 47621
Probably our most dissapointing performance since I've been in charge. Borac are a team who shouldn't pose a huge threat to us, and many would argue they didnt, as they failed to register a shot on target. However, with key man Soumah being poor for the first hour, maybe fatigue was finally settling in for a number of the lads. Ozegovic with the important goal, sealing back-to-back 1-0 wins in the league. I will demand more goals of this team going forward but right now, 1-0's will do.

View attachment 47620
Very early days yet, but 2 wins from 2 is all that matters. Once this team becomes comfortable with this new system and the high intensity i demand form them, then hopefully we won't continue to make such hard work of our dominance in games.

Tune in next time for the all important away leg in Greece. I'm off to catch the plane with this lot...*gulp*

View attachment 47616

Last edited:
A decent start there mate and good writing too! Some good signings with such a small budget - you have the same problem as me at Willem II there! Looking forward to following this!

A decent start there mate and good writing too! Some good signings with such a small budget - you have the same problem as me at Willem II there! Looking forward to following this!

Cheers mate, and good luck to you over at Willem II too. Yours is a bigger challenge domestically, mine is purely about eventually trying to win some European honours. Hopefully once the squad are familiar with the 3421 and my instructions we should start to steam roller some teams domestically. Not sure what formation i'm going to play away in greece!

Last edited:
View attachment 47502

Welcome back to my Partizan story. Following 2 1-0 league wins, the lads carried some confidence going into the all important 2nd leg against Olympiakos, after a 0-0 1st leg draw in Belgrade. Our 1-0 wins in the league were satisfactory, but Olympiakos away is a whole different animal.

A quick look at our financial picture prior to the game. Whilst we're not absolutely skint, the added European revenue would be very welcome to a club of our size right now.

View attachment 47492

Touchdown in Greece. The big day is finally upon us. After a hectic flight (the Partizan ultra's love a sing song...and a vodka or 8) I still hadn't decided how we were going to lineup. Is it risky to go 3421 away from home? especially considering they have players like Marko Marin and Kevin Mirallas to contend with? Our back 3 isn't the most mobile, and Tosic is far better going forward than he is tracking back? After a sleepless night I made my decision.

View attachment 47501

4411. A flat back 4, with a midfield 4 in front should provide us with an adequate defensive unit to soak up the inevitable Olympiakos attacks, and potentially nick an away goal on the counter.

View attachment 47500

Mirallas up front for them was an interesting choice, he's quick and unorthodox, everything my rugged centre halves hate!

Everything started ok, whilst we didn't enjoy the lion-share of the ball of which we are used to, but we certainly held our own. This was until Marko Marin ghosted in behind the defense and fired a low shot in the near post past the keeper. Keeper maybe should have done better, but i blame the defense for this one, it was far too easy! As the HT whistle blew, we were 1-0 down and facing elimination. I was second guessing myself, do i keep things tight and hopefully still be in the game last 20mins to try nick a winning away goal? Or do i go for it and try and score early, and settle a few nerves. Sod it, it's 45 mins, lets go for it! 3421....dare to dream n all that.

We began the second half a lot better, slowly gaining more possession (we had 32% first half) and creating the odd chance. Then on 64mins we had our chance. Ozegovic won a header and flicked it into the path of Soumah. Soumah dribbled past the defender and was bearing down on goal. I edged off my seat...only to kick the water bottles in frustration...Soumah had put it wide!! Disappointed but not despondent, we kept plugging away trying to ****** an equaliser. Alas it wasn't meant to be, and with ourselves going Overload in the final ten mins, we were punished with an 84th minute sucker punch. 2-0 Olympiakos.

View attachment 47499

So our UCL dream was over for another season. We were underdogs against Olympiakos and more than held our own, but couldn't find the breakthrough in either game. The players gave it their all, it just wasn't meant to be. We were now out of the UCL and would be placed into the Europa League Playoff - the final qualifying round before the Europa League group stages. I was praying for a favorable draw.

View attachment 47498

How's our luck, PSV! A side who are probably stronger than Olympiakos, and have a rich pedigree in Europe. This is going to be such a challenge. But for now it's important to switch our focus from Europe, as we have some key league fixtures coming up.

View attachment 47497

Cukaricki are a team who shouldn't cause us too many problems. However after a draining visit to Greece i was keen to see how the players would react. Despite throwing away an early lead gained by a sumptuous left footed Jovancic strike, we rallied well and dispatched them 3-1. Pleased to see Jovanovic (19yr old striker) come off the bench and score.
View attachment 47496

Next up we faced our biggest test so far domestically in Vojvodina. Vojvodina have some dangerous players (well those who haven't been snapped up by myself already) and would prove a real test. 3-0 up at HT and we were flying, especially after a stunning 25yard free kick by Zoran Tosic. Complacency may have set in though and Vojvodina scored 2 quick fire goals. 3-2! That seem to wake the players up and we restored a 2 goal lead, through Jovanovic's second goal in 2 games from the bench. The 19 year old Serbian u19 captain was proving a bit of a super sub. Alarmingly though we seemed to switch off again and Vojvodina nicked a 3rd to make it 4-3! Despite 20 mins or so of squeeky *** time, we pulled through and got the win. We can't afford to be so lax defensively, and we got away with it today. One bit of bad news, key player Marko Jankovic picked up a groin strain, and would be sidelined for 3-6 weeks.

View attachment 47495

The games continue to come thick and fast. These runs can be really tiring on the legs of players, especially with a lack of quality depth at the club. I couldn't afford to rest key players, and thank god i didn't because Tosic would have been one of those who would have been rested. Tosic scored another free kick, this time low and through the wall, beating the keeper at his near post. We have to be more ruthless in front of goal, as without Tosic's brilliant freekick, we failed to score with the other 33 attempts on goal! 33!!! The lads know they're in for shooting practise next week. Hats off to the defense though who recorded their first clean sheet in a number of games.
View attachment 47494

5 wins out of 5 in the league, depsite some average performances. If this group click, we could really hammer some of these sides. 15 points is all that matters though.

Tune in next time as we have our Europa League Playoff 1st Leg tie against PSV
View attachment 47493

Bet there's going to be some tasty regens coming through in your youth intake, I always love a good bargain from Serbia. Good luck against PSV!

ARGH!!

:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

Last night having turned on my FM i was hit with the dreaded "SAVE GAME COULD NOT BE LOADED". I stupidly didn't have a 3 rolling save file set up, and the game is lost forever!! So gutted.

For those who were interested, we drew the 1st leg against PSV 1-1, but lost the away leg 2-0. We then won the next 3 league games to have 8 wins from 8. Means nothing now though....:(

I'll be starting another story this weekend and have changed my settings to have a 3 save file game. I hope you'll follow me to my next club!

Just learned my lesson from this too. Luckily for you it was quite early on....I was 5 seasons in and had invested so much time and effort into the game (let alone the story)......I will be following your next story!

Just learned my lesson from this too. Luckily for you it was quite early on....I was 5 seasons in and had invested so much time and effort into the game (let alone the story)......I will be following your next story!

It's so annoying!! I was more disappointed with this last night, than i was about England, can't imagine what you felt like after 5 seasons! Appreciate you following the next one. Have a fairly free weekend so will be able to play FM a fair bit, 1st post should be up tonight or tomorrow.

Literally just had the same thing happen with my Bologna save, why do the FM gods hate us so!

Rolling save files are the way forward.....

Literally just had the same thing happen with my Bologna save, why do the FM gods hate us so!

:( ah sorry to hear that, was enjoying your save too. Hopefully you'll be back with another (once you turn on the 3 file save). Think i'll start my new one tonight.