Benitez derides play-off proposal

• Thread starter Thread starter BBC Sport
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 18
  • Views Views 649

BBC Sport

BBC Sport News Headlines
Reaction score
Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez criticises an idea to use a play-off to determine the Premier League's fourth Champions League spot.

More...

Corse he is against this, they are the most likely to suffer from this.

Corse he is against this, they are the most likely to suffer from this.

No, it is really stupid.

Liverpool could finish 4th, and then they might have to play 7th, and lets say there is a 15 point gap, and 7th won, then all the hard work, the team in 4th spot put in to get 4th, will be for nothing.

I agree with Danny to be honest, it is unfair and stupid.

You got to remember liverpool dont aim to finish 4th they aim to win the league. So why should 4th be a special position, if liverpool loose to the teams that finish 5th to 7th in the season then surely they deserve a chance to prove they are actually better in this playoff. Plus more money for clubs and more excitment

You got to remember liverpool dont aim to finish 4th they aim to win the league. So why should 4th be a special position, if liverpool loose to the teams that finish 5th to 7th in the season then surely they deserve a chance to prove they are actually better in this playoff. Plus more money for clubs and more excitment
Maybe 4th is a special position because it means Champions League football? :S

If you finish 4th, you deserve to be in the ECC, simple as. If you finish lower than 4th, then you don't, simple as, no need for change.

I say try it for 1season see how it goes. Cant be much harm surely

I say try it for 1season see how it goes. Cant be much harm surely
It will do harm though when you think about it. If the team that doesn't finish in 4th place gets into the ECC, then it's epic bull. Leave it how it is, there's a lot more important things that need improving in football like goal line technology and more officials around the pitch, not a stupid play off :S

I'm all for it myself, the PL needs to be spiced up a bit if I'm honest and a playoff would make it much more exciting, none of the Chairman's will agree with it though.

personally i think it is a good idea because it means you could have someone other then the normal 4 teams representing england in the championsleague and benitez's counter argument is stupid because you have playoffs for promotion so why not for this aswell. besiedes the others who don't win the playoff would be garunteed europa league footie anyway. and if liverpool are as good as he says they are then they won't have any problems beating the other teams that finish 5th- 7th

I bet if L'pool don't finish 4th this season then most of their fan's opinions on this would change.

and if liverpool are as good as he says they are then they won't have any problems beating the other teams that finish 5th- 7th

The trouble with knockout competitions is that the best teams don't always win. Were Liverpool the best team in Europe in 2005? or second best in 2007?

personally i think it is a good idea because it means you could have someone other then the normal 4 teams representing england in the championsleague

Yeah lets have the 7th best team in England represent us in the Champions League... Oh wait they probably won't make it past the qualifiers and will end up in the Europa League.

for once i agree with Rafa, this idea is stupid.

why should a club who finished higher then another club. have to play that club to decided whether they qualify for europe.

I'm with Rafa for the first time ever. Moronic idea by the idiots in charge of this league (probably another moment of money-making genius by that plank Scudamore). The gap between the top 'four' and the rest has been narrowed this season, and although it's City's billions that are favourites to break it, it's still a change.

The fact that places are allocated to the TOP FOUR positions means teams have something to aim for. Imagine a team like Brum (who have done well this season, but at the end of the day, wont finish higher than the scousers or the arabs), who could just edge 7th, then fluke a win over teams who have done better than them over 38 ****** games. Might as well have a playoff between the top four for the title itself like the ridiculous Rugby Super League....

if they do finish 7th and win the playoff then it shows they are still a good club that can do well against fairly big teams like liverpool who finish 4th and it shows that they could hold there own on the day which if they are in a qualifying round which is knockout then they would make it to the group stage. then if they take it 1 game at a time which is waht you do in a knockout then who knows.

Well if they can do well against a big club on their day, or sneak a good result in a knockout format, why not disregard all the allocated CL spots and make all 20 teams have a big playoff orgy at the end of the season? Perhaps Burnley, despite being relegated, did beat us after all when they had a good game, so why not give them another crack at it?

Back