Benitez sure of top-four finish

• Thread starter Thread starter BBC Sport
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 16
  • Views Views 916

BBC Sport

BBC Sport News Headlines
Reaction score
Defiant Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez insists his side will still finish in the top four of the Premier League following their 2-2 home draw with Manchester City.

More...

i wouldnt be so arrogant rafa, with a team in this bad form. i would even be confident off being there until the end of season.

yeah and their defenders leaving emmanuel adebayor unmarked is not a good sign

Winning the league is out the question but a top four finish is still capable but it looks really unlikely with the team performing so bad.

GaboneseTiger - Liverpool have always been **** as defending set pieces with all their 'zonal' marking rubbish so theres nothing new.

Poor by Liverpool today they will need to work hard to get Champions League Football next season

GaboneseTiger - Liverpool have always been **** as defending set pieces with all their 'zonal' marking rubbish so theres nothing new.

Don't talk such rubbish about defending set pieces and zonal marking. The figures for the past few seasons have shown Liverpool to have one of the best records.

The reason we are conceding from set pieces this season is nothing to do with the system we employ but it's down to individual errors. We're also a little on the short side this year which is likely to be playing a small part in it all. Apart from Skrtel, Agger, and Kyrg we don't really have much height in our team.

I honestly thought better of you Gatid, you seem to be one of the better posters around here. So I'll let you off this once but any more listening to MOTD pundits and I'll ban you... maybe. ^^)

Last edited:
Of course they still have a chance, don't be daft. If they don't begin showing massive improvements soon, though, it will surprise me.

I can't see this happens. I think Man City/Tottenham/Aston Villa will break top 4. Remember we are in Day 13 and Liverpool didn't performed well. But everything can happen.

Don't talk such rubbish about defending set pieces and zonal marking. The figures for the past few seasons have shown Liverpool to have one of the best records.

The reason we are conceding from set pieces this season is nothing to do with the system we employ but it's down to individual errors. We're also a little on the short side this year which is likely to be playing a small part in it all. Apart from Skrtel, Agger, and Kyrg we don't really have much height in our team.

I honestly thought better of you Gatid, you seem to be one of the better posters around here. So I'll let you off this once but any more listening to MOTD pundits and I'll ban you... maybe. ^^)

Lee liverpool have been vulnerable from set peices for ages.

the system has to change.

Thats zonal marking for you. Every specific players has a area zone to mark and thats why mostly all teams in the premiership man mark these days because zonal just causes confusion between players. Your right about the individual errors becuase thats the main reasons why zonal marking is so bad reasons are because the defending team whos defending the corner has a serious disadvantage already due to the players have to keep a close eye on the ball when its whipped in and to keep a close eye on all the opposite players around him because more than one player might run into the 'zone' you are protecting. Thats why man marking corners is soo successful because all you have to do is mark that one player and follow him constantly if he scores its your fault no one elses.

And your wrong about listening to motd pundits, Its my personal opinion and everything i just told you above thats how my old football coach used to explain to us whats the difference between zonal and man marking and taught us how to defend corners actually.

Last edited:
Why did Rafa bring Aurellio on for Benyayoun when they were 2-2 at home chasing a winner ?
Rafa seems to do that often, Aquilliani was on the bench (sure not match fit) he is a box to box midfielder and might have added something going forward.
Were as Aurellio had no effect on the game, as you would expect bringing a defender on.

Back