Benitez 'will see out Reds deal'

• Thread starter Thread starter BBC Sport
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 10
  • Views Views 584

BBC Sport

BBC Sport News Headlines
Reaction score
Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez intends to see out the rest of his contract, provided the club's financial situation allows it, according to his agent.

More...

Not good for Liverpool really , now he wants to stay he's probably hoping to be sacked to get this 15 million or whatever it is compensation money. If it Doesn't work out your going to be in trouble I don't think Rafa is the right man for Liverpool any more but that's my opinion. Sometimes in a team you need a change I think Liverpool need that change to progress. How long are Liverpool supporters going to take false promises , I promise the league , I promise to challenge , I promise 4th , do you notice anything there , yeah his promises are going backwards , which I'm sure Liverpool fans notice as well.

Last edited:
'Providing the clubs financial situation allows it'

Or he'll be sacked or leave next year. XD

I can't stand Rafa Benitez, the sooner he leaves the sooner I think I could like Liverpool again.

It's clear he wants to go now. I think he's holding out for the compensation package.

Yes we do, mate - I'm sure most of us are aware that the whole institution of LFC needs overhauling. The yanks are incompetent charlatans & RB is a deeply flawed manager who nearly always buys average or injury-prone players at best ( the Auilani situation is a total disgrace ) & his tactical nous is over rated. He sets his teams up first & foremost not to lose & to bore the opposition into surrender.
Wenger builds superb footballing sides with far less money & Moyes gets his side playing to at LEAST a similar standard to The Reds with NOTHING to spend. Both these managers are superior to Benitez in my opinion.

we want you to stay, we want you to staayyyyyy RAFA BENITEZ we want you to stay.

I want Rafa to stay. If some hard times gets rid of some of the shallow end of the gene pool 'support' so much the better in my view. Fed up to the back teeth of hearing wools phoning up demanding his sacking. He's such a terrible coach that whenever a top continental job is free, his name is always on the list - odd that, no?

Hope the language doesn't offend anyone, but here's a post from one of the Liverpool boards I'm totally behind (originally posted on RAOTL):

Dear Biffs,

I've already heard loads of bad teds (even matchgoing, loyal red, bad teds) saying that they don't rate the UEFA cup, that its mickey mouse etc etc. Yet if you'd said to the same people at the end of 2004 (pre Rafa) that they could go to a european final (having only been to one other in the previous 19 years) they'd be creaming themselves.

He's in his fourth European semi in 6 years.

Potentially his third European final in 6 years.

yet he's constantly now being given ***** by 50% of you; our loyal "fans".

Last year I had a discussion with a mate of mine in work who is a Newcastle fan. When they were going through the shearer debacle I reminded him that their fans had hounded out Dalglish, Gullit and Robson and that all of these managers would have kept Newcastle up. My point was that newcastle fans were to blame for their demise because their fans had delusions of grandeur.

Well, welcome to Newcastle you clueless biffs. Lets go through the reality:-

1. Financially, we cannot compete to win the league.
2. We are lucky to have done as well in the league as we did last year
3. Whilst we "exist to win trophies", remaining in Europe by late April/early May is a better barrometer of success than winning the league as that is realistically not going to happen whilst we fail to invest in the team.
4. Our manager has taken us from being so bad in Europe we were three down in Basle, Switzerland in a must win final group match to "Europe's top table", time after time after time.
5. If he goes/is hounded out, we won't be in three European semi finals or finals in the next 6 years.

I'm ******* sick of you bellends rehearsing your bullshit, fed by the know nothing media. I ******* despise you all and I reserve the right to tell you that you are wrong vociferously at every available opportunity but quite frankly I'm ******* fed up of having to do so.

Open your eyes and appreciate what you have. In the real world, sometimes, football teams have bad period and bad runs. **** it, some have bad seasons. But, you ******* imbeciles, the same man you are now lambasting for getting us to a semi final of a european competition (for christ's sake!) is not the ******* problem. In fact, your constant chelping, criticism and inability to support the club through a time of crisis is much more of a problem endemic in our club.

Most knowledgable fans in the werld.........what a ******* joke.

Forza Rafa, Forza LFC.

**** off Dickheads.

I also would love Rafa to stay, fed up of people attacking him, especially Liverpool 'fans'.

Rafa has put the pressure on himself to be honest. A Champions League win, and a final along with an FA Cup and a 2nd place finish in the League last year. Some Liverpool 'fans' are far too expectant of him, he does have to buy to sell you know? Back in the Houllier days we would be lucky to get into the Champions League and winning trophies like the League Cup was seen as a good year for the club. We have had a bad season by Liverpool's now very, very high standards. He has done a great job in my opinion.

This was the team Houllier had at the end of his career with Liverpool:
GK: Dudek - One of our best players, great keeper
RB Finnan - Decent right back, consistent
CB: Hyypia - Another one of our best, a legend at the club, great defender
CB: Henchoz - Decent centre back, wasn't quality was good though
LB: Riise - A good player with a great shot, peaked early and started decline is his final year at the club
RM: Smicer - A decent player, wasn't anything special again
CM Gerrard - Nothing needs to be said here, he was 24 and was proving he was one of the best
CM: Hamann - Imo was a quality centre mid, saved us in Istanbul
LM: Diouf - Was poor, a bad signing by Houllier
ST: Baros - A decent striker, we never got the best out of him though
ST: Cisse - Much pressure was put on Djibril, he never delivered

Now that does look like a good side, I must say, and it was possibly Houllier's best first team in his time with us in his final season. Lets look at the current side:

GK: Reina - One of the best in the world
RB: Johnson - England's number one right back, brilliant on his day
CB: Carragher - Benitez noticed he was a great player and converted him to a great centre back
CB: Agger - A good centre back who can be quality on his day
LB: Insua - A bit of a weakness but he will improve and be a great fullback
RM: Kuyt - A real workhorse, definately gives something to the team, Good player imo
CM: Mascherano - Brilliant player, gives us a bite in midfield
CM: Lucas - I reckon we're seeing what Lucas is all about, could be a good player
LM: Benayoun - A great player, our bit of skill on the wings and can take players on with ease
AM: Gerrard - Past his best but I still reckon he is a brilliant midfielder
ST: Torres - Arguably the best striker in the world

Now I reckon our current side is better. People are going to say it is because of Benitez's massive spending now but he has spent nowhere near as much as people think.

Benitez has a total spend of just over £83m in 5 years at the club. An average of £16.6m a year. The vast majority of his signings have been sold at profit, or if still at the club, are worth a lot more than we paid for them. Exceptions being Babel and Dossena, but we’ll still get decent fees for them when sold as they’re full internationals.We have a wage bill that is the 5th highest in the league. We can’t afford to pay players £70,000 to be sat on the bench like United and Chelsea can.

Rafa Benitez’s record with signings at the top end of the market is nothing short of brilliant. Robbie Keane being the only flop, but he was sold 6 months later and only a small financial hit taken on that mistake. Rick Parry agreed the fee for buying him in the first place, and common knowledge Rafa wasn’t happy with it; feeling it was far too high.

I am really not sure why everyone hates Rafa, yes he does make weird decisions and he is quite stubborn, but aren't most managers? I am just trying to explain that Rafa has not done as bad a job as everyone thinks. I for one want him to stay at Liverpool but I am not criticising anyone for doubting him, I have many times in the past myself.

Back