champion7891

Reaction score
I am trying to tweak a couple of tactics by Bwomper, Arrigo Sacchi, and Marcelo. I have a couple of questions:

1. What is the best lone striker role, assuming we play with inside forwards but no attackig midfielder (like in a 433)?

2. Two strikers with an attacking midfielder behind, what roles make sense. I was thinking poacher + CF/DLF/Trequartista + Advanced playmaker?

I am trying to tweak a couple of tactics by Bwomper, Arrigo Sacchi, and Marcelo. I have a couple of questions:

1. What is the best lone striker role, assuming we play with inside forwards but no attackig midfielder (like in a 433)?

2. Two strikers with an attacking midfielder behind, what roles make sense. I was thinking poacher + CF/DLF/Trequartista + Advanced playmaker?

With no attacking midfielder I would say a Complete forward with a support duty since you want him to create space for the inside forwards by back tracking and also interact with direct through balls into the channels your inside forwards should exploit. So obiously a creative forward would be the requirement. If you played with wingers I would say Poacher for sure. If you have alot of possession I would say a poacher with targetman skills as well.

A selfish striker and a striker that creates space would be a great combination. A poacher is more often than not a selfish striker and have only one goal in mind to score goals, so i'd pick poacher. His partner should create space and in most cases be a support striker which means lowered mentality and for me their is 2 options either a targetman support who is good in the air strong great movements fairly creative and can pick out the high crosses from the sides. Or Complete forward support a player that creates space by back tracking like the targetman support does - he will be a little better at interconnect with the playmaker with small little one touch passes.

I might consider to tick roaming for your poacher in both those two examples of partnership and that is because they will create space for your poacher to run into. It all depends on what type of player you have available to you as well. I'm a big fan of poacher's and will probably always choose them first over any other type of striker in attack and then decide after who I should pair him with. At the moment my preferred pairing is poacher and targetman

With no attacking midfielder I would say a Complete forward with a support duty since you want him to create space for the inside forwards by back tracking and also interact with direct through balls into the channels your inside forwards should exploit. So obiously a creative forward would be the requirement. If you played with wingers I would say Poacher for sure. If you have alot of possession I would say a poacher with targetman skills as well.

A selfish striker and a striker that creates space would be a great combination. A poacher is more often than not a selfish striker and have only one goal in mind to score goals, so i'd pick poacher. His partner should create space and in most cases be a support striker which means lowered mentality and for me their is 2 options either a targetman support who is good in the air strong great movements fairly creative and can pick out the high crosses from the sides. Or Complete forward support a player that creates space by back tracking like the targetman support does - he will be a little better at interconnect with the playmaker with small little one touch passes.

I might consider to tick roaming for your poacher in both those two examples of partnership and that is because they will create space for your poacher to run into. It all depends on what type of player you have available to you as well. I'm a big fan of poacher's and will probably always choose them first over any other type of striker in attack and then decide after who I should pair him with. At the moment my preferred pairing is poacher and targetman

thanks Jes...(envious of your underdstanding of the game :))

i am more favorable towards players who are good all rounders (perhaps b/c thats a requirement for arrigo sacchi), so CF makes sense indeed for a lone striker role. A question that I have, if I have swapping wingers, role is set to inside forward, and wide play move into channels, in that case :
a) will the widemen act as both inside forwards and wingers?
b) striker role would matter less?

thanks Jes...(envious of your underdstanding of the game :))

i am more favorable towards players who are good all rounders (perhaps b/c thats a requirement for arrigo sacchi), so CF makes sense indeed for a lone striker role. A question that I have, if I have swapping wingers, role is set to inside forward, and wide play move into channels, in that case :
a) will the widemen act as both inside forwards and wingers?
b) striker role would matter less?

Thanks for the nice words mate - appreciate it alot!

They will act as inside forwards unless you have 1 winger and 1 inside forward set to swap - they will play the role they are swapping with so if left inside forward swap to the right and that is a right winger role it will suddenly play as a winger. Not sure if this is what you are asking about. swapping with another player only means he will play the other players role but in the other side. To be honest I think it would be best to keep them both as an inside forward and in that case you'll need a backtracking support striker so I would say a complete forward/deep laying forward or even a Trequartista the last two mentioned could be very interesting to play around with. Deep laying forward with roaming and lots of creative freedom - through balls on sometimes - cross rare - cross from byline - run from deep sometimes - run with ball often for me this is Messi the false 9. Passing slider set to 7 - Mentality set to 15 - wide play=hug line. This could work. Trequartista's to lazy and more often than not a liability in most systems. I prefer Complete forward support/targetman support or the false 9 for what you are trying to achieve. By the way Messi is not a Trequartista as so many people say. Maradona was though.

So conclusion strikers matter alot and you will get the most out of them if you connect your tactics mentality sliders wise so he's not to far away from the play. You could always go through you mentality sliders through your team starting with the player positioned the highest - maybe you inside forwards mentality 15-16. central striker 14 advanced playmaker 12 etc etc.

Think of the mentality sliders as positioning then set them to connect from defence-attack imagine how they will be positioned - run from deep effects this as well.

Tempo and individual passing slider determines how attack minded you are not mentality.

Hope I didn't make you confused! :)

Cheers pal

I feel I didn't answer your question well enough. If the inside forwards are set to wideplay=move into channels they should be moving to find space between opponents fullback and Central defender. Offball - anticipation - decisions - teamwork are vital for this to work for an inside forward. Then behind them ofcause you will need some intelligent midfielders who is specialized in mental skills high decisions - composure - creativity and the further away they are positioned from the inside forwards the better passing skill they'll need to perform the perfect through balls. Also remember to set these midfielders/defensive midfielders to passing slider 10-19 depending on how close they are positioned behind the inside forwards.

I'm looking forward to hear how you go :)

Cheers pal!

I feel I didn't answer your question well enough. If the inside forwards are set to wideplay=move into channels they should be moving to find space between opponents fullback and Central defender. Offball - anticipation - decisions - teamwork are vital for this to work for an inside forward. Then behind them ofcause you will need some intelligent midfielders who is specialized in mental skills high decisions - composure - creativity and the further away they are positioned from the inside forwards the better passing skill they'll need to perform the perfect through balls. Also remember to set these midfielders/defensive midfielders to passing slider 10-19 depending on how close they are positioned behind the inside forwards.

I'm looking forward to hear how you go :)

Cheers pal!

thanks man...