• Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 22
  • Views Views 39K

Best Lone Striker Role

• Total voters

bdare

Reaction score
Hi fellow tacticians

I need your help. Basically I'm looking for the best role as a lone striker. I have 2 inside forwards and use an advance forward. Cavani scored 41 goals which is good but not many people can play the advance forward role and other strikers I use tend to struggle even though their attributes look like they can play that role . So my question is what would you guyz say is the best role for a lone striker

View attachment 206922

Last edited:
I've always had good success with inside forward attack, poacher, winger attack for my front 3 of a 4-1-2-3 system. Using a winger instead of two inside forwards helps stretch the defense and keep them from shutting me down by playing deep and narrow.

Last edited:
I've always had good success with inside forward attack, poacher, winger attack for my front 3 of a 4-1-2-3 system. Using a winger instead of two inside forwards helps stretch the defense and keep them from shutting me down by playing deep and narrow.

That's the thing at times wingers annoy me cos they just bomb the wings and cross. Tried mixing inside forward and winger but need better testing. With an inside forward they cut inside to either shoot or create a chance for the striker .

I'm currently using this for my control 4-2-3-1 tactics ( 2 deep mids ) (the other 2 in central mid).

Thanks for contributing bro!

Advanced and complete forward can be use with the best strikers as they will convert changes most of the times..

Other roles can also be use depending on how good the supply is coming to him, n preferebly with supporting AMC or IF..

Would say Complete Forward but, imho, it's difficoult to find one who really fits the role, so you can also try a poacher with the 2 inside forwards. I tried it for half a season and it went well, the i swap when i've got another forward to play 41212

Advanced and complete forward can be use with the best strikers as they will convert changes most of the times..

Other roles can also be use depending on how good the supply is coming to him, n preferebly with supporting AMC or IF..

Very true as the advance forwards picks up loose balls and brings others to play, but as you know players find it hard to play in that role especially young cheaps ones . That's the problem cavani can play there for me scoring 41 goals but someone like vaclav kadlec would be better as a poacher. So I'm trying to find a the best role for a lone forward

Would say Complete Forward but, imho, it's difficoult to find one who really fits the role, so you can also try a poacher with the 2 inside forwards. I tried it for half a season and it went well, the i swap when i've got another forward to play 41212

Never really used complete forwards as you need a really top striker in the club and if the attributes don't match. What do you ? Do poachers work well with inside forwards ?

Very true as the advance forwards picks up loose balls and brings others to play, but as you know players find it hard to play in that role especially young cheaps ones . That's the problem cavani can play there for me scoring 41 goals but someone like vaclav kadlec would be better as a poacher. So I'm trying to find a the best role for a lone forward

Each role can be played by a lone striker, but the best role is depend on ur tactic n how do the attacking minded players playing in the opposition half of the field.

So the conclusion is, there is ' NO one best role for a lone forward' .

Each role can be played by a lone striker, but the best role is depend on ur tactic n how do the attacking minded players playing in the opposition half of the field.

So the conclusion is, there is ' NO one best role for a lone forward' .

No what I'm saying is basically which role can most players play in as a lone forward. This can have an effect especially managing a club with low cash and you want to slot a forward in .

No what I'm saying is basically which role can most players play in as a lone forward. This can have an effect especially managing a club with low cash and you want to slot a forward in .

Now managing York City, so i know what u mean..
Try poacher then, as it has the most basic duty, to find space and score.

Now managing York City, so i know what u mean..
Try poacher then, as it has the most basic duty, to find space and score.

Now this is where it gets complicated as I know poacher is good but doesn't really interact with play. He's more like a fox in the hole. And if the poacher can't get through at times it's annoying know what I mean

Basically if my striker and inside forwards get good goals I'm happy .

Last edited:
Never really used complete forwards as you need a really top striker in the club and if the attributes don't match. What do you ? Do poachers work well with inside forwards ?

If you have a poacher with a good pace and a decent finishing and composure i say yes, it works. Poacher+2 IF is a good combo to me

If you have a poacher with a good pace and a decent finishing and composure i say yes, it works. Poacher+2 IF is a good combo to me

Thanks man only thing is poachers don't really contribute (passing to other) . I'll have to wait and see

Now this is where it gets complicated as I know poacher is good but doesn't really interact with play. He's more like a fox in the hole. And if the poacher can't get through at times it's annoying know what I mean

You're right, poacher is a fox in the hole but he will score a lot if the hole team supports him. A poacher with 2 IF who cut inside and at least a BtB CM should work pretty good.

You're right, poacher is a fox in the hole but he will score a lot if the hole team supports him. A poacher with 2 IF who cut inside and at least a BtB CM should work pretty good.

Ok behind the striker is an advance playmaker and the 2 centre mids are deep lying playmaker and def mid [def]​

A poacher needs good players around him to perform.

The best way i believe for u is to look at ur striker stats and play to his strength. That is if u want him to be the main scorer. For me, i don't mind other players scoring more than my striker, as long as he involved in the play, such as dragging players out of position for other players to utilize.

Thanks man only thing is poachers don't really contribute (passing to other) . I'll have to wait and see

He dont passes till you say him to do so. If you have a ST with a good passing you can tell him to pass ball through sometimes so he will make passes for the 2 IF when he gets the ball on the 20/25 meters

Ok behind the striker is an advance playmaker and the 2 centre mids are deep lying playmaker and def mid [def]​

it should work then. The poin is what you want from your ST. If you want him only score lot of goals then a poacher is what you are looking for. If you want him to partecipate to the play of the team you may look for another kind of player that suits the role better​

it should work then. The poin is what you want from your ST. If you want him only score lot of goals then a poacher is what you are looking for. If you want him to partecipate to the play of the team you may look for another kind of player that suits the role better

Basically what I want could be seen as a lot. Need a striker 20-30 goals a season who can help inside forward to get 15-20 a season with assists. Seems a lot but have the desire to make this work .

When I used r Madrid Ronaldo (IF) had 67gls. Higuain (AF) had 43gls Benzema (IF) had 22goals
The thing is higuain is good as an advance forward but most strikers in fm can't play that role so I'm trying to find the right balance where front 3 are sooo dangerous

Well, Ronaldo, Higuain and Benzema are quite monstre players! If you are managing a low level team you may find difficoult to achive youre goal. Try using a poacher but with more collaborative personal settings, in this way he should be able to score a good amount of goals and help the IFs to score

Back