Hoodiemchood

Reaction score
I mainly use a 4231 formation and wanting to find out what folk think is the best role for a lone forward?
I have the two wide players on support and the central att. midfielder on attack.

Cheers

ive been contemplating this too bro,for me its either DLF,AF or F9 but i guess it depends largely on who the lone striker is.Im testing out a new tactic ive created now and have ibrahimovic and rashford as my two main strikers so obviously will have to change it(maybe)depending on who starts

It's not only about what role your striker plays but what role you assign to the player in the No.10 position; how these two players link together is important. What you want is for one of them to hold the ball up and create chances for the other. So decide whether you want your No.9 or your No.10 to do most of the shooting and work back from there.

A good Shadow Striker can be excellent, especially when combined with an effective Deep-Lying Forward who he can play off of. An ability for both players to play one-twos will enable the SS to get goalside of the last man. You also want them to both be good in the air; the DLP for flick ons and the SS for arriving late in the box to get on the end of crosses.

The Advanced Playmaker, Attacking Midfielder and Trequartista roles are all similar to one another but with varying degrees of defensive responsibility. The emphasis, though, is very much on creating chances for others rather than getting into shooting positions themselves. If you want to employ one of these roles with an Attack duty, then I'd suggest the player needs to be good at long range shooting and ranking high in the Flair category. A striker operating in an attacking role may be feeding on scraps (maybe Poacher would work) but in one of the support roles he can hold the ball up, play one-twos and win flick ons.

The Enganche holds his No.10 position and plays balls into the path of players who are running from deep, beyond him into the opposition area. So that affects how you set-up your M(C) positions and how effective that proves should determine whether your striker's main function is to provide a wall for teammates to rebound passes off of or whether he can make runs into the channels to receive throughballs.

If your No.10 is in a support role concentrating on playing throughballs and one-twos, he can provide the ammunition for an Advanced Forward. Offsides are always a problem, though.

A False-9 will drop deep and look to play angled passes out to the wings or beyond the opposition defence to put a teammate through on goal. I have used the F-9 in a 4-4-2 alongside an Advanced Forward quite successfully, but I'm always wary about being overrun in midfield. If you opt for an F-9, then you want your No.10 to make attacking runs into the channels - so he'll need to be a good finisher.

A Target Man on Support duty can hold the ball up for you when you launch counter attacks. If you switch one of the your Wingers, or an Inside Forward, to Attack duty, the TM can play him in on-goal. An attacking Target Man who is tall and strong in the air can create chances higher up the pitch, so any No.10 role that gets a player close enough to him can capitalise on whatever he brings out of the sky.

Complete Forwards maraud around the final third, especially if they are quick and good at dribbling, creating chances for themselves and linking up with wingers. So they effectively negate the need for a No.10. This is my preferred lone striker role in a 4-3-3 with a DM.

Last edited:
Since I use a lone striker in my 4-1-2-2-1 tactic with A.C. Milan , putting Bacca as DLF with an attack duty has helped me a lot. I finished the season third and he scored 30 goals.

Umm

The one where he scores the most goals in your tactic :p