Best way to defend against through balls against a quick passing opposition

• Thread starter Thread starter dave256
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 5
  • Views Views 10K

dave256

Reaction score
I found I was doing ok against Man City, and everyone really (won the league both first and second season), but now they've made a few changes in players and manager they've adopted a much quicker passing game and just blew me off the pitch. I quickened my tempo but my players just missed far too many passes. I dont necessarily have a problem with my tactic but was just wondering if anyone has figured out a reliable defence against through balls?

I pulled my d-line deeper to give them less room to pass into but they still managed to find room in behind on the counter. narrowed the pitch to close space between my defence but their wingers drifted out and got so many chances with my fb's no where near them. Tried increasing the closing down in my midfield but then their midfield just passed around me.

I play a 4231 with 2 dmc, 1 amc, amr/aml, so the space in the middle in front of my defence is quite protected as it is. Just can't figure out how to stop the through balls between my defence or then the balls to their wingers running off my fb's

Any ideas?

try puting your amc in into cm and try to stop the attack before it reaches your defence ..... what roles are your dmc?

Yeah, I've been avoiding doing that coz of the obvious effects it would have on my attack...buuut I feel I might have to eh. I think that might at least break up the speed of their passing? Any idea on how to stop easy balls being thread through to wingers when you play more narrow? I've tried my fb's on man mark but then the wingers just get around them too easy and playing wider opens up more space between my defence again.

I have Sandro as my deep DMC (mentality 3/4 notches) and M'villa as a DLP DMC about 4 notches above Sandro, as I want him to support the attack more. Sandro defence role and M'villa support role. I have their CD about 4/5 notches, which is 1 notch above the CB's. My fb's CD is about 3 notches above that. I find having the CD any higher pulls them out of their position too much.

How fast are your defenders? Mines never have less than 12/13 (acceleration/pace), but i always try for defenders with 14/15.

also, press hard the ones who do the pass

I suggest you start playing against them on the counter too. What marking system u using? Might be worth changing that up a bit.

I use a man marking for my CB's but change that to zonal if the opposition plays 1 forward...I find the CB's end up way too close with man marking against 1 forward...and I have used zonal for my fb's...Thinking I might have to try man marking for a bit though and specific man as the winger. Has that worked best for others? I've just though that would restrict my fb's when going forward? The rest of the team are zonal. I always close down often in OP on any midfield that has any sorta shooting ability and also AMC and wingers.

My CB's I mainly use are Dawson, Kaboul and Bassong. Dawson is slightly slower but has awesome mental stats and positioning

Back