Best way to use Team Talks

• Thread starter Thread starter Ewski
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 7
  • Views Views 3K

Ewski

Reaction score
How do you get the best out of your team by using team talks?

I think I'm getting better at these things but am also interested in pooling knowledge with all of you out there.

One questions I have is...what's the best way to do pre-game talks? I can consistently get people to look happy or relaxed (using 'I believe in you' or 'there's no pressure'), but is that the best way?

My team is kinds inconsistent, one game they can score 5+ goals and the next they struggle until I shout at them at half time and they come back with avengence.

Getting people relaxed/happy gives them a green arrow before the game, but does that lead to good performance?

Ewski

I usually use a calm tone before the game and if Im playing against a strong team i will tell them them just to go out there and play because the pressure if off. If its against a weaker team i will be calm and tell them to play their normal game and the result will come. These 2 usually make them relaxed and seem to play better.

the "theres no pressure" thing will not make them motivated as far as Ive seen
relaxed isnt a good thing unless they have poor morale

I think 'pressure is off' is actually very effective when you're big outsiders. If you're favourite - 'expect a win'

I usually get my half-time talks right. If losing - just say you're not happy

If you win my 2 goals or more - tell them they've played well

All in all i'm pretty mad about the new team talk system. I understand the tone to mean simply the power of the team talk. I never use reluctant but it goes from cautious to aggressive in terms of how strongly is the message communicated.

Also what happened to the "you can win this" talk. How do you encourage your players when they're slight underdogs? In fact you can only say 'expect a result', 'expect a performance', 'good luck' and 'for the fans'.

I find that assertive tone works best before games and when you want your team to do something (eg score) sharpish.

Also. Aggressive now and then at half time when losing tends to do wonders for performance. Just be aggressive at the whole team/positions and do not single out individuals.

Also listen to your assman and look at what the morale is. I find that usually pressure is off turns up morale a notch

I find that assertive tone works best before games and when you want your team to do something (eg score) sharpish.

Also. Aggressive now and then at half time when losing tends to do wonders for performance. Just be aggressive at the whole team/positions and do not single out individuals.

Also listen to your assman and look at what the morale is. I find that usually pressure is off turns up morale a notch

Disagree with that as some players will be trying to do well and will be outperforming others. IE, 5/6 players with a HT rating of 5.9-6.5 yeah be firm, but if you have others with a rating of 7.5 or something being aggressive with them will backfire-players with those sort of ratings should be encouraged. You also have to remember the player personality. If you're aggressive with players who are volatile, or just have poor personality stats, shouting will backfire I've found.

Last edited:
Passionate tone is my main one, it always works, but I do mix it up with a calmer tone, or an assertive tone.

The answer, as others have alluded to in the past, is "it depends." You've got to do some trial and error with your squad to see what works. For some squads, you're going to need to be passionate all the time. For mine, passionate talks make about 1/2 of my team switch off or play very poorly.

For them, calm is the way to go unless I've gotten a big victory. But generally calm for me is the way to go. I used to be very good with team talks, but I'm not entirely sure if the old rules still apply. It used to be that the "do it for the fans" talk would be neautral and not screw things up. But nowadays I tend to use "cam: impress me" or some equivalent if there is no clear cut "1-4/4-1" favorite. If I'm the favorite, I use "calm: good luck" unless the special "no pressure, no one expects us to win" talk comes up. Either are fine, you want your players loose or relaxed. And it really springboards the team towards an upset.

Generally, the reactions you want to see (and please correct me if your experience is different) motivated = fired up > delighted >>> happy. You tend to want to avoid "happy" unless it's at the end of the game because players who are happy tend to become complacent. The same applies to "relaxed" unless the player is looking nervous. How do you stop a player from being nervous?

Once again it's trial and error. Sometimes "No pressure" works. Sometimes "you have faith" works. Sometimes you've just got to yell at them to snap out of it -- but it will require individual player talks 90% of the time. Had a player play really well last game? Don't forget to give the individual talk asking for more of the same. A player struggle last time? Expect a performance generally works, although it can stress out some younger players or players who have not been with the team that long. Once again, the tone will depend on the player.

Half time talks: If the game is going well, calm encouragement is generally enough -- but I get wildly different results between "room for improvement" and "looking good out there." I save the former for ties or beating a far worse opponent by only one goal. Two goals or above, pleased is good because it makes my team delighted instead of happy. Losing? Don't be afraid to get angry if you are strongly favored over the other team, but if you're at home being assertive should be enough. If you're on the road and you're missing a lot of on target shots, sympathy might be warranted, but otherwise I tend to stay away from it. The most effective talk is the same from the last two years though: any equivalent of "I want to see more from you."

End game talks: Your goal here is only to boost morale. Once a player is delighted there's not much more you can do, although individual talks are great for making you one of a player's favored personnel. Don't be afraid to blow up at the team if you lose 0-3 to a team destined for relegation or well below your position. You'll get a lot of fired up/motivated. Save sympathy for road game/close losses/late ties. Be tougher on your team in home games. Be tougher on your team when you're favored. If you're not sure, stick with "well done" if you win and "sympathize" if you lose with individual disappointment talks for players who perform poorly.

And if you're having a bad run of games, do not forget about individual player talks and team meetings. Those can make a difference as well. But team talks are the difference between having a good squad and being able to shoot a less talented squad through the table straight to promotion after being preseason relegation candidates.

Last edited:
Back