Beta observations

• Thread starter Thread starter fm20
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 4
  • Views Views 729
F

fm20

I'm genuinely struggling to tell how much of the problems I'm seeing are due to ME issues, tactics, poor players or poor management... I've started a new save after the patch, playing as Liverpool and making it as complete as I can - I'm considering this a learning activity for when the game is released.

Some of the worst instances of brainf*rts by the players on the pitch seem to ME related - poor collision detection seems to be one of the worst flaws along with the almost constant running away from the ball and man when "defending". Goalkeepers dropping the ball, or watching it sail over their heads is still an issue (and not just Reina). Throw-ins direct to the opposition, or worse, the receiving player just moving out of the way are also an issue.

That said, there are things that are making it better - after losing a few games the team is now on a winning streak, and they're getting used to my tactics. I'm seeing better movement from the midfielders and attackers, defenders are making more interceptions and I'm winning the ball back quicker. Slight tweaks to the possession based tactics have resulted in some more goals.

One other huge difference I've noticed is the quality of play when certain players are available - for me, Carragher, Gerrard or Shawcross (who I bought to replace Skrtel) have a calming influence on the team and everyone else plays better. On field leadership seems more critical than ever with a young team.

Some of the tactical issues I can fix (Shawcross' tendency to boot it downfield is a PPM and he'll learn the style eventually) but the man management aspects also seem to be played up and getting the team's confidence up seems much more important than ever.

That said, some of those ME issues and other flaws are still killing me. Every team passing it around like Barcelona and waltzing through my midfield or around the fullbacks is annoying, the constant 'keeper errors and the defensive lapses seem way more than I'd be entitled to expect no matter how bad a manager I am.

Let's just wait for the game to come out, and for the bugs to be fixed, something that I am sure SI is working on as we speak. And till then, FM12 will do just fine :D

Through balls. I want my players to play through balls!! But seriously tho the match engine is not good this year. Hope it is all sorted out in time for the full game

Yeah I get it a lot when there's a ball that my centre-backs could easily win but they just let the opposition waltz on through and score. I put a sweeper behind the two centre-backs though which seems to be working.

I liked the FM12 ME apart from the wingers never dropping back to defend. The new one seems very fixable, mainly because there are so many things needing fixed.

Back