mrwillroper

Reaction score
Hi there,

Firstly apologies if this is in the wrong section.
I have started a save as Southend - and have been getting a bit frustrated of late.

Currently sitting 9th after 16 games, and am unsure if my tactics/formation are the right style for this level. I have bought in a few players: Will Keane (Loan), Oliver Norwood (Loan), Chris James (Free), Martin Camano (Free), and a young African with a PA of 4 stars.
When I joined the club they were already 2k over the wage budget and no transfer budget - so I basically cannot get anyone else in as my board will only allow wages of 150 quid a week - and as most decent players ask for 2k+ its a bit of a no-goer.
I have been playing 4-4-2 but I really just don't have any wingers, in fact have been playing some MC's slightly out of position on the left and right (although they are both 'competent' playing there). I'm playing a rigid style with a slow tempo.
I was thinking of changing the formation to playing 3 MCs, and a DM just behind them (as I have a fairly decent one in Anthony Grant). Just dont know if sacrificing the width will be a negative thing in L2.

Any tips/pointers/advice would be greatly appreciated as I hope to achieve promotion, or at least be there or thereabouts come seasons end.

I think you should look for a tactic that fits the team, rather than the leauge. That said it can be a good idea to consider what tactics you are likely to be up against as some formations do well against others etc.

In FM10 my experience with 442 has been limited to a game with Rotherham, byt in the previous versions this formation was so efficient, that it almost seemed "broken" - and it hasn't failed me in one and a half season with Rotherham either, but without the players to match it I don't think it will do you that much good.

As well as the overall tactic you also need to consider the individual player instructions you issue. If you are playing a natural CM as a winger you may be better of instructing him to play as wide midfielder than as winger, as that will make more efficient use of his abilities. For the central midfielders I recommend playing one as ball-winning midfielder, and the other as a deep lying og advanced playmaker, depending on his skills. I've been having decent succes with playing one wide midfielder and one winger as well, this seems to add support to the midfield while still giving support to the attack.

Regarding team instructions I wouldn't play ridgid and slow in leauge 2. I don't like playing rigid at all, and for me slow tempo is only an option for a team with the abuility to control the ball, play short passing, and maintain lots of possesion. In other words, it requires a team technically superior to the rest of the leauge (and probably technicall7y superior to most of L2 as well:)). I'd go for direct passing, and a normal or high tempo - and then I'd see how risdgid I needed to play, depending on what happened in the first matches.

Hi thanks for the reply.

Bit of an update - Im now about to start my fourth season. I got promotion in my first to League One and have managed consecutive 11th placed finishes over the past two years, so fairly pleased with that.
I have tried a few of the downloadable tactics, namely the 4-4-2 (goals galore), and the 4-1-2-2-1 (boomshaka or something).
I found that the 4-1-2-2-1 gives really good success, for a while and then I don't know what it is, whether my players all go off the boil or something, but I can really struggle! Example, last season I was sitting in about 4/5th place comfortably and then over the past ten games dropped right away.
I have decided to start this season with the 4-4-2 and see if it brings more success.