Black Cats snap up Wickham

• Thread starter Thread starter sunilvk7
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 17
  • Views Views 1K

sunilvk7

SAF greatest ever.
Reaction score
Steve Bruce has made England under-21 international Connor Wickham his latest summer signing.

The 6'3" 18-year-old - rated as one of the country's brightest talents - has moved from Ipswich Town for a fee of £8m, with the potential to rise to £12m over the course of the contract, depending on a number of factors.

Wickham, who was named the Football League's Young Player of the Year for the 2010-11 season, has signed a four-year deal on Wearside.

The player returned from international duty earlier this week after representing his country in the U21 European Championships in Denmark.

Wickham became Ipswich's youngest ever player when he made his debut for the Tractor Boys aged just 16 years and 11 days.

The striker's first full season yielded a return of six goals in 10 starts and a further 19 appearances off the bench, while he netted nine goals in 40 games last term before winning the prestigious Football League award.

He also scored the winning goal for England's under-17 side in the U17 European Championships Final last summer.

Black Cats snap up Wickham | Latest Sunderland News | Team & Transfer News | Sunderland AFC | Sunderland

0,,10281%7E9762872,00.jpg

Very good signing. Hopefully they can keep hold of Gyan.. Gyan-Wickham looks good on paper..

Good signing, but at a potential £12M think they've overpaid. Especially considering that Gyan cost £13M.

Apparently Liverpool really did want him, but refused to match Sunderland's offer. Big signing, but must allow him time to settle.

Definitely has potential this one, whether he can live up to it on the big stage is yet unknown, wish him luck though.

From what i read, fee is 8 Million rising to 12 Million..

8 Million is a good fee (Considering the premium all clubs are paying for English talent)..

Apparently he rejected Liverpool for this move.

DMF - compared to Carroll & Henderson, at £8M this is a steal.

Apparently he rejected Liverpool for this move.

DMF - compared to Carroll & Henderson, at £8M this is a steal.

It's a steal compared to those deals, but individually I don't think so. Considering they got a proven goalscorer coming off a successful World Cup for £13M, and they've just spent a potential £12M on a young striker who scored 9 goals last season and didn't feature for the U21's tells me they overpaid a bit, but he's definitely got the potential to make it worthwhile.

It's a steal compared to those deals, but individually I don't think so. Considering they got a proven goalscorer coming off a successful World Cup for £13M, and they've just spent a potential £12M on a young striker who scored 9 goals last season and didn't feature for the U21's tells me they overpaid a bit, but he's definitely got the potential to make it worthwhile.

Simple DMF. Gyan is not home grown and Wickham is just 18 year old. I dont think anyone expected him to start ahead of Welbeck, Sturridge but many were disappointed when he didnt' get any game time.. He is a good talent. 8 Million looks good deal for Sunderland..

Good move for him in my opinion. Will be interesting to see how he copes in the Premier League.

Thing is, in two or three years time, there's every chance he could be an England regular. Can't wait to see him at the SoL week-in-week-out. And credit to Brucey and NQ, apparently he wasn't interested in joining us until he had a chat with them. Brilliant stuff.

Thing is, in two or three years time, there's every chance he could be an England regular. Can't wait to see him at the SoL week-in-week-out. And credit to Brucey and NQ, apparently he wasn't interested in joining us until he had a chat with them. Brilliant stuff.

Yeah even I can't wait to see him in Premier league.. Watched him in few carling cup games, now can watch him regularly in league games..

Wickham-Gyan. That looks good on paper..

Up until Bruce spoke to him, he was Liverpool bound. Kudos to whatever he said to the lad

Scottwilsonecho Scott Wilson by TonyBarretTimes

As many people have been pointing out, Wickham's senior debut for #SAFC will be against.....Liverpool. Tasty opening game just got tastier.

Are we all just assuming he will go straight into the first team? I thought he will act more as a back up player for the first season. Anyway, 8million looks a reasonable fee to be paying considering the prices of other English top talent.

Are we all just assuming he will go straight into the first team? I thought he will act more as a back up player for the first season. Anyway, 8million looks a reasonable fee to be paying considering the prices of other English top talent.

Assume he will come in for Welbeck, who is now back at United

Yeah, considering Welbeck played wide left a lot for Sunderland last season, and Wickham played wide left of a 3 for Ipswich, I'd presume it's going to be a straight swap.

If we manage to sign N'Zogbia, our main target (although it looks unlikely now), he'll probably be more of a bit part player. Whatever happens, he'll get plenty of games because of our horrific injury record.

Assume he will come in for Welbeck, who is now back at United

Fair Fair. Haven't seen much of the kid but guessing if he is ready to walk into a prem side at his age he must be good.

Fair Fair. Haven't seen much of the kid but guessing if he is ready to walk into a prem side at his age he must be good.

Will get the regular prem games he needs now, he is a classy young player. Hope we can do the same with Macheda at an english club

Back