Bootmgr error on HD

• Thread starter Thread starter Raikan007
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 13
  • Views Views 645

Raikan007

Reaction score
good day to you all, i am having some serious problems with my pc, my Gigabyte 8800 GTX Ultra blew out on Thursday resulting in a pc crash and loss of alot of info, bought the GT 430 yesterday and all was well with my HDrives, i have a SATA as my Windows drive (80gb) and an IDE as my backup (160bg) and then a 500gb in a Transcend USB casing...

my original Windows installation became corrupt, so I installed another on my IDE drive, this was all fine yesterday at the PC shop where I bought my graphics card. I copied all the info I needed off my original Windows drive (SATA) and also all my music etc off my IDE all to my 500gb.

as i was loaded on my IDE windows, I formatted the SATA drive so that I can install my New Windows 7 on to that drive. I did this.

I loaded up Windows via dvd and formatted the IDE drive as i took all the info i needed off that and i did not want Windows on that drive.
all fine, so I try and install Win 7 on the SATA drive and during installation, gives me an error!

I now cannot even load up my Win 7 installation disc as it gives me the BOOTMGR error, press ctrl+alt+delete to restart!

i have tried changing boot orders, disabling, enabling my IDE or SATA drives, setting them to primary and slave etc etc..

I have been researching all morning on how to fix it, yet, to no avail, if anyone knows how to fix the problem, I would be grateful..

please dont say Run Win repair etc... i cannot even load up Windows installation or Win via my HDrives ;)

thanks.

Neil

Last edited:
Hey Raikan
I gave your problem a quick read and it does really sound like a complicated problem. I posted it on a very good computer help forum that I use so hopefully it will come back with some answers. When they do I will post it here. :)

*Edit* Got a reply.
Does it boot from the Win 7 disc if the HDDs are disconnected? Has the BIOS been reset?

*Edit 2* Got a 2nd reply
Sounds to me like the boot manager was on the SATA drive even though Windows was on the IDE. The install sees that there is a Windows installation so does not continue but there is no boot manager so it can't boot.

He may have tried but I would suggest disconnecting all drives apart from the SATA, using a Gparted or similar bootable CD to delete all the partitions then try to install Win7 to it. Once he has Windows working he can try reconnecting the other drive

Last edited:
thanks guys, yeah its all legit, I got a reply from this website too... used a program called Killdisk..
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/13396-47-bootmgr-error#t65066

i did this, it cleaned them, I loaded up Win 7 (that at least worked) got to install screen, started install then on 0% it game me some error message, I tried this with both of the HD (SATA and IDE) both same problem.

I thought it might be my Win 7 disk so I tried Win Xp Pro, it seemed to have installed files.. changed BIOS to boot from HDD (not DVD of course) and it had another type of error (cant remember now) so the XP did not even work properly...

what i do think is that it is time for me to get a new HDD or two but I just spent a **** load of cash on a new graphics card (could not help myself) and am getting an LED 42' and Ps3 for xmas (i am buying this myself) so dont want to spend even more cash on a HD...

oh well, still cant play FM11 and getting serious withdrawal symptoms.... :S

thanks for the help again guys

will this even work if i have completed deleted everything off both my HD's?

thank you Zaf ;)

will this even work if i have completed deleted everything off both my HD's?

thank you Zaf ;)
Do you mean that you have formated both of your HDDs and you cant access the Win 7 installation disk?

yeah, i have cleaned them both, nothing on them! i can access the Win 7 load up everything fine, now as soon as it gets to copying win files (green tick) then to installing win 7 (it gets stuck on 0% and gives me this error message)

windows cannot install required files.the file may be corrupt or missing.make sure all files required for install are available, and restart.
error code: 0x80070017

not sure what the problem is, it does this to the other HD as well... and I have formatted them both...
tried cleaning the Win 7 disk etc, still no luck! feel like crying...

yeah, i have cleaned them both, nothing on them! i can access the Win 7 load up everything fine, now as soon as it gets to copying win files (green tick) then to installing win 7 (it gets stuck on 0% and gives me this error message)

not sure what the problem is, it does this to the other HD as well... and I have formatted them both...
tried cleaning the Win 7 disk etc, still no luck! feel like crying...
If it gives that error then its probably the disk.

Got another reply for you Raikon

Some things to test:

1. Another optical drive.

2. Bootable HDD checking tool (though if both drives don't seem to work normally, the problem is probably not in the drives).

3. Temperature and voltage monitoring in BIOS.

Full component list might be helpful. A graphics card breaking on its own shouldn't lead to data loss, so for example a misbehaving PSU is one possible source of problems. Also, any and all error messages should be recorded carefully, as they can tell more about the problem.

Got another reply for you mate

I'd suggest running memtest86 for a few hours.

Faulty memory can cause all kinds of errors when installing the O/S.

You shouldn't need to change the boot order after installing Windows either. For the first boot leave it as DVD first HDD second. That way you know you didn't inadvertently change anything else in the BIOS.

Last edited:
new problem, I formatted the drives again using Killdisk and I installed my old Win Xp Pro, it installed perfectly, rebooted, loaded up and instead of saying Bootmgr missing it now gives me NTLDR is missing....

I think its time for a new HD tomorrow...

thanks for all the help guys... ;)

new problem, I formatted the drives again using Killdisk and I installed my old Win Xp Pro, it installed perfectly, rebooted, loaded up and instead of saying Bootmgr missing it now gives me NTLDR is missing....

I think its time for a new HD tomorrow...

thanks for all the help guys... ;)
That error has many causes and most of em are related to HDD problems, so the best thing to do is to replace that faulthy HDD.

nothing is working, just bought a brand new HDD as well and its doing the exact same thing again!!!

Got 2 more replies for you Raikon.

Did you run memtest86 as suggested by Homer for a few hours?

Checking all the cables is a good idea.

NTLDR (or Bootmgr) missing means that the computer is trying to boot from media that doesn't have Windows boot files, or that the boot loader on the HDD's MBR is misconfigured to point to wrong media. Did he do the latest installation with only the new HDD in place, and others unplugged?

*Edit* 2 more replies for you Raikon:

Also, the USB HDD should be unplugged too. Some computers are srt to auto-start from USB no matter what the boot order.

Originally posted by GuitarJim1987
Did you run memtest86 as suggested by Homer for a few hours?

There's no point trying anything until you've done that.

If it checks out OK then fine, all you've lost is time, if you have faulty memory then it can show up as all kinds of weird stuff and you end up spending money in the wrong place.

Last edited:
Back