'Bosses to blame' for bad tackles

• Thread starter Thread starter BBC Sport
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 20
  • Views Views 1K

BBC Sport

BBC Sport News Headlines
Reaction score
Fulham captain Danny Murphy is urging managers to take responsibility for their players after what he terms a series of "ridiculous" and "brainless" tackles.

More...

I disagree. A manager can only do so much. De Jong made bad tackles under 2 managers in the space of 3 months.

How can the manager completely stop bad challenges?

Obviously they can discourage it but not much.

Murphy seems to have a lot to say for himself and is becoming quite annoying in my opinion. Time to shut his mouth and answer through performances on the pitch.

Think he's spot on tbh, the likes of Allardyce, Pulis and McCarthy need to tone down there aggressive approach to the game as they send there players out to target opposition players to essentially kick them out the game.

And to Chris, Manager's can stop bad tackles, they have influence over how a player can approach the game.

Is Danny Murphy serious? I don't see how managers could possibly have a say on how bad the tackles are. Think about the players mind set. I am sure they do not intentionally mean to injure the player they are tackling. Cannot blame the managers regardless of how they play.

Is Danny Murphy serious? I don't see how managers could possibly have a say on how bad the tackles are. Think about the players mind set. I am sure they do not intentionally mean to injure the player they are tackling. Cannot blame the managers regardless of how they play.
they can, in the same way de jong got dropped. have a quiet word in their ear to watch their tackles or face consequences

they can, in the same way de jong got dropped. have a quiet word in their ear to watch their tackles or face consequences

Yeah I know what you are saying, but I meant that they don't send out their players to break other players legs ect.

Yeah I know what you are saying, but I meant that they don't send out their players to break other players legs ect.
but they do send them out to "let them know you're there". for example, you know its in fat sam's game plan to batter keepers in aerial challenges

Some Managers do encourage aggressive football which is what leads to these injuries.

Why would you do that though? I doubt it would help you win the game, that is not how I would do it on Football Manager.

Why would you do that though? I doubt it would help you win the game, that is not how I would do it on Football Manager.
its supposed to make that player think twice about running at you, if he think hes gonna get hurt he may look to pass instead, or it unnerves the keeper in competing aerially.

What's the point of that? Cheaters never win, explains the managers that adopt it :P

Being aggresive is not a bad thing. Being committed to winning a 50/50 ball is admirable. Being strong and physical is not a bad thing. It's when it's a 1-100 shot ie not even a contest that its an issue. Or going in studs up or with a raised boot. That's got nothing to do with aggression, strength or physicality. That's just for lack of a better word - ****** up.

And TBF I have not heard a manager publically citicise or at least drop a player for a bad tackle. The Dutch manager has done it but other than that I can't think of any.

What's the point of that? Cheaters never win, explains the managers that adopt it :P

"Cheaters never win" is an idiom adopted by the honest losers to the dishonest winners, unfortunately. Look at EH Diouf's Whack-A-Keeper session the other day. They drew that, purely because of him knocking over Schwarzer.

Last edited:
I agree with Murphy. He's spot on, some of the Premier League managers mindsets are just wrong.Yes Fat Sam, I am looking at you.

Not entirely true, mancini is not a dirty manager, nor is van marwijk, so this does not apply to them, but i hate the approaches of Pulis, Fat Sam and Mccarthy towards the game.

Not entirely true, mancini is not a dirty manager, nor is van marwijk, so this does not apply to them, but i hate the approaches of Pulis, Fat Sam and Mccarthy towards the game.

The managers have definitely had contributions to some of todays injuries is Murphy's point. Not every injury is down to the manager.

Back