Bruce backs Bent for England call

• Thread starter Thread starter BBC Sport
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 17
  • Views Views 688

BBC Sport

BBC Sport News Headlines
Reaction score
Sunderland manager Steve Bruce believes striker Darren Bent "has to be" in England boss Fabio Capello's squad for the 2010 World Cup in South Africa.

More...

He can if he gets the right servie by the end of the season he will have earned his spot on performances I reckon

He is a decent player, he can play pretty well for Sunderland, but I am not sure if he plays the same in England squad.

I think he can perform. Though, we will have to see at the end of the season.

Consistent for Sunderland, hasn't got any confidence with England.

well if not bent then who? owen? crouch? johnson? bah, id rather have bent.

well if not bent then who? owen? crouch? johnson? bah, id rather have bent.
Personally out of them I'd have Crouch. Not many teams have the luxury of bringing on a player like him and it gives a different dimension upfront, but I get what you mean

I'd take Crouch. Look at his goalscoring record for England? Surely that is what matters most as a striker? Owen is out of the question for me...

Definitely Crouch for me too. Bent is just a bit too predictable and only knows how to play one way. Defoe is probably ahead of him in the pecking order too.

It's probably going to be Rooney, Heskey, Defoe, and Crouch.

Bent doesn't get involved in build up play enough, he never leaves the last man, he is a 'poacher' this is why he'll never make it internationally.

Bent is easly the best englash stiker in the leauge apart from rooney

More than Heskey, anyway. Dude is terrible.

odear see i doubt anyone is going to be running scared when they see heskey and crouch up top for us.

oh please stop going on about crouch's england record this is his record, he has scored against.

Uruguay - Friendly - Average
Hungary - Friendly - Below Average
Jamaica (3) - Friendly - Poor
Trinidad - World Cup 2006 - Poor
Greece (2) Friendly- Above Average
Andorra (2) - Euro Qual - Awful
Macedonia - Euro Qual - Below Average
Estonia - Euro Qual - Awful
Austria - Friendly - Poor
Croatia - Euro Qual - Good
Ukraine - WC Qual - Average
Andorra - WC Qual - Awful
Belarus (2) WC Qual - Awful

Total:

Excellent - 0
Very Good - 0
Good - 1
Above Average - 2
Average - 2
Below Average - 2
Poor - 5
Awful - 6

but yeh he is deffiently a world class striker for england.

Last edited:
Crouch and Heskey aren't just there for goals, they are there to allow Rooney, Gerrard, and Lampard to have someone to play off.

Glad you brought up his record Leeum he has done against lesser teams and I am sure if Bent was playing with the same service aganst the same teams he would have scored the same amount

Crouch and Heskey aren't just there for goals, they are there to allow Rooney, Gerrard, and Lampard to have someone to play off.

which doesn't seem to be working out as england can't win a trophy and couldn't even qualify for euro 2008.

Back