Build Me a PC!

Jakey2303

Reaction score
Hello all, I have a problem. I'm a PC noob!

I want to get a gaming PC but dont know where to start. I dont know my Intel from my AMD, my Nvidia from my... whatever!

So I ask of someone, can you build me a PC? Tell me what parts, what this and what that.

I dont wish to spend near £1000 because then I'm treading near Alienware prices.

If anyone can help it would be much appreciated.

Parts are pretty easy, and considering I recently helped acquiring parts for my brother.. you get the idea :p

Motherboard and Processor are the main parts. Depending how heavily used the PC will be, you can look into a combined package for around £200-250 for a pretty decent setup (see Maplin)

Power Supply - Something around 600W should run most things, but maybe consider going higher, depending on the Graphics card. Shouldn't cost you over £75-ish for a decent one. Cheap ones are available for under £30.

Graphics card - Probably the most money you'll spend, depending how high you go... Good model Nvidia (GT 640) will be about £75. High end will be upwards of £200. (Even then, the best one atm will cost upwards of £500!!)

All other things (case, DVD/Blu-Ray player) can be picked up pretty cheap

Hello all, I have a problem. I'm a PC noob!

I want to get a gaming PC but dont know where to start. I dont know my Intel from my AMD, my Nvidia from my... whatever!

So I ask of someone, can you build me a PC? Tell me what parts, what this and what that.

I dont wish to spend near £1000 because then I'm treading near Alienware prices.

If anyone can help it would be much appreciated.

Might want to specify what kind of price your willing to spend and also any other requirements you need.
Wifi, Hard drive Size, Blu ray drive etc.

Basically is it just for gaming or do you plan on having a lot of media(movies/music) also?
Id reccomend:
a recent asus motherboard,
either intel 2nd gen core processor or quad core amd
Seagate Barracuda HDD 1 or 2 TB depending on preference
AMD HD 7870 Graphics Card
Corsair 4 x 2GB DDR3 ram or possible 4x4GB of a cheaper make if you like multitasking

Those are the main parts but then you have a case, disc drive, power supply, fans/cooling to consider.
Custom pc shops will advise you what you could make or even make custom rigs themselves. I wouldnt go into doing a self build until you know what your doing as if you **** it up you lose a lot of money.

Might want to specify what kind of price your willing to spend and also any other requirements you need.
Wifi, Hard drive Size, Blu ray drive etc.

Basically is it just for gaming or do you plan on having a lot of media(movies/music) also?
Id reccomend:
a recent asus motherboard,
either intel 2nd gen core processor or quad core amd
Seagate Barracuda HDD 1 or 2 TB depending on preference
AMD HD 7870 Graphics Card
Corsair 4 x 2GB DDR3 ram or possible 4x4GB of a cheaper make if you like multitasking

Those are the main parts but then you have a case, disc drive, power supply, fans/cooling to consider.
Custom pc shops will advise you what you could make or even make custom rigs themselves. I wouldnt go into doing a self build until you know what your doing as if you **** it up you lose a lot of money.

Its mainly for gaming, I'm not big into other forms of media.

Also pricewise I would be willing to go up to £600 tops really. Also have you got a secure and reliable site where I could get all the parts from?

Ah nuts, I left PC PowerPlay at work.

In the back of the mag they have gaming rigs. Sub $1000 (660 for you), <$2000 <$3000 and an all out beast of everything which currently sits at $21,500 (14,000)

Its mainly for gaming, I'm not big into other forms of media.

Also pricewise I would be willing to go up to £600 tops really. Also have you got a secure and reliable site where I could get all the parts from?

Hurrah! Finds'd it.

OK, so for Ten Hundred and One (Aussie Dollars, or roughly 660 Pounds);
CPU - AMD FX 4100 Black Edition $139 Global Provider of Innovative Graphics, Processors and Media Solutions | AMD
MoBo - Gigabyte GA-970A-D3 $105 GIGABYTE - Motherboard, Graphics Card, Notebook, Slate, Server, PC Peripherals and more
RAM - Kingston DDR3 4GB 1333Mhz CL9 $25 Kingston Technology Company - Where To Go To Find Memory
VIDEO - Sapphire Redeon HD6870 1GB $189 HIS Graphic Cards - Power Up, Gamers!
CASE - CoolerMaster Centurion 5 $119 Cooler Master - Leading Provider of Computer Case | Cooler | Power Supply
POWER - CoolerMaster 500W $NA (included in case)
OPTICAL - Lite-on DVD-RW $20 www.us.liteonit.com
STORAGE - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB $69 Samsung US | TVs ? Tablets ? Smartphones ? Cameras ? Laptops ? Refrigerators
DISPLAY - Samsung BX2440 24" $189 Samsung US | TVs ? Tablets ? Smartphones ? Cameras ? Laptops ? Refrigerators
KEYBOARD - Microsoft Sidewinder X4 $49 Microsoft Home Page | Devices and Services
MOUSE - Gigabyte M6900 $29 GIGABYTE - Motherboard, Graphics Card, Notebook, Slate, Server, PC Peripherals and more
HEADPHONES - Plantronics 367s $39 Plantronics Wireless Headsets, Bluetooth Headset, Office and Contact Center, Enterprise Solutions | Plantronics

Roughly halve it if keeping current Monitor, K-B, Mouse and even Tower & PSU then maybe drop the headphones.