Building a future generation

• Thread starter Thread starter ZeeFour
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 7
  • Views Views 2K

ZeeFour

Reaction score
I'm new to FM and indeed come from a FIFA background, so there are a lot of things I don't understand.

When I manage a team in FIFA I generally buy in a few first team members whilst hiring 5 star scouts to find world class youth players. In FIFA there are two ways to do this

1 - Global Transfer Network

This uses the current player database in FIFA and gives you real life players or free agents already in the game.

2 - Youth Academy

This actually generates "fake" players at around 15 or 16 years old and your scout will tell you their initial rating and their potential rating. These players don't exist in real life they are just randomly generated.

My plan is, is to take over a team and do option 2 and scout youth academy players from one nation and try and rebuild not only the club but my national squad as well.

Does FM2015 work this way? or am I only ever going to be able to scout players currently in the game?

Here is an example of the Youth Academy (These players are randomly generated)

In football manager we have "regens" or "newly gens". There essentially the same thing as you would have in Fifa.

You can set scouting assignments yourself or have your Chief Scout set them. I leave it to my Chief scouts.

Every club has an academy... Once a year mostly in March you get a youth intake with new regens, most are **** but there may be one or two that could be the next Ronaldo or Messi. (very... very rare).

You can off course have your scouts go to Brazil or whatever to find the new Messi..

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&r...Usy9D7zmCRXuzUtEg&sig2=-Hv92sbkr9cI_bDsKoYXoQ

Last edited:
Cheers for the reply, I shall have a read at this!

Basically I want to rebuild my club team and hopefully get better players into the pool for the Scotland national squad. It's a thing I've done for the past few FIFAs, I rebuilt Scotland, Italy and England. I took teams from lower leagues to the top of the premier leagues, not always aiming for the champions league. You know, the Road to Glory kind of thing.

Cheers for the reply, I shall have a read at this!

Basically I want to rebuild my club team and hopefully get better players into the pool for the Scotland national squad. It's a thing I've done for the past few FIFAs, I rebuilt Scotland, Italy and England. I took teams from lower leagues to the top of the premier leagues, not always aiming for the champions league. You know, the Road to Glory kind of thing.
If I've read your post correcty... It's a little harder to get players born in other countries to play for your own in FM. I've never really relied on that but sometimes I've started off with Swansea and Wales... managing both.. I focus entirely on Swansea and eventually your youth facilities, etc... should get some good players for Wales.

There is something that determines the average PA for regens in each country though.. I've found it doesn't matter, but Wales has one of like 80, while Brazil has one of 170+. I've still turned Wales into a strong team. (starting 11 in 2040 was basically all trained at Swansea). It should be much easier with Scotland since they perhaps don't have teams as strong as Cardiff or Swansea but they have a lot more clubs, Wales... just two decent clubs here with perhaps one more coming through the football league.

that would be a challenge for sure, at the very least you need top academy/youth facilities (state of the art if you can get it) in your club(s) and good coaches to train them properly ..even if you got lucky and produce regen with great potential ability developing regen to be the next great footballer in FM needs a lot of patience and attention

In Reply to zJordan

Exactly your point, I've taken over Rangers, I wish to boot out most of the team and get round to buying a better squad but in the meantime develop a wealth of Scottish talent that will eventually be the pool for national selection.
I understand in FIFA, you can basically do this with any country but in FM, am I right in saying that the chance of pulling enough players to fill a squad with 5 star (world class) potential is quite slim for Scotland?
If so then I will solely concentrate on Rangers and buy from wherever offers the best youth talent.

Last edited:
that would be a challenge for sure, at the very least you need top academy/youth facilities (state of the art if you can get it) in your club(s) and good coaches to train them properly ..even if you got lucky and produce regen with great potential ability developing regen to be the next great footballer in FM needs a lot of patience and attention
Right now I have taken over Rangers and the plan is essentially as mentioned in the Original Post. I realise in FIFA that this is probably possible with a lot of countries however FM seems more dependant on your facilities?
If this seems like a truly stupid idea for a beginner like me then feel free to let me know. I'd be happy enough just bringing in any youth from Scotland or otherwise.

Right now I have taken over Rangers and the plan is essentially as mentioned in the Original Post. I realise in FIFA that this is probably possible with a lot of countries however FM seems more dependant on your facilities?
If this seems like a truly stupid idea for a beginner like me then feel free to let me know. I'd be happy enough just bringing in any youth from Scotland or otherwise.
if you in to that kind of challenge then go for it, everybody have different preference to how they play, It could be a lot of fun producing and nurturing rare talent from your own youth system setup, but if you really new to FM I'll advise you to read some guide in this aspect of the game, like how to train youth properly, how to choose the trainer for them, etc. like this post

if I want to exploit the regen system and build a long career with 1 manager I usually delete the facegen, the random generated facegen are hideous and look silly i prefer no picture at all

Back