Burnley Disaster! Someone Help!

Oli_11

Reaction score
I took over at Burnley in the 2012/13 season and guided them to promotion through the playoffs. I started the new season with high hopes that I will secure a Premier League status. Things started pretty well as the board gave me £15 million pounds to attempt to avoid relegation. I spent the money well.
IN:
Alex Smithies-£2.6M
John Flanagan-£2.1M
Emmanuel Frimpong-£1.5M
Max Gradel-£925K
Raul-£250K
Jake Livermore-Free
Robbie Keane-Free
Wayne Bridge-Free
Keiran Westwood-Free
Ross Barkley-£3.3M (Joins next season as he is on loan)

OUT:
Manuel Vallaurio-£300K
Marvin Bartley-£725K
Brian Easton-£1.7M
Jason Koumas-Free
Wade Elliott-Free
James Henry-Free
Matthew Park-Free
Muri Ogunbiyi-Free

I started off using the GoalsGalore2011v5 tactic and it didnt work very well.

My opening 6 fixtures:
Burnley 0-6 Man City(Good result considering I only had 8 players on the pitch)
Wolves 6-0 Burnley
Carlisle 2-1 Burnley AET (Carling Cup 2nd Round)
Burnley 0-2 Aston Villa
Chelsea 4-0 Burnley

I decided to change tactics for the other two games. I went with the 4-3-3_Barca_Barcelona_Jan_2011 tactic.

Burnley 0-1 Tottenham
Newcastle 2-0 Burnley

I'm so happy! I finally have got my first point after a 2-2 draw with Swansea!

As you can see I'm finding it hard in the Prem with Burnley. Can anyone suggest any tactics or players to sign that could help with my disaster?

Last edited:
If anything I think it is down to the fact that the new players and new tactics are not allowing the squad to blend together. If anything I would expect (should you use the same team/tactics) that you team would hit good form by october/november and begin to surge up the table, into playoffs

Stop using such attacking formations, you are Burnley not Barcelona, you might have to play boring football but that's what will keep you up! Plus you should have signed some better players, definitely a CB at the very least..

Try these tactics - http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/foot...fm09-tactics-now-football-manager-2011-a.html - make sure you use match preperation too, you need your squad to be comfortable with whatever tactic you play, if they aren't you will continue to lose.

To be fair though staying up in your first season is tough.

try mixing your new signings with a few old faces in the squad.. it will take time for your signings to blend together. also try getting more people behind the ball when playing top 4 teams away. 4-5-1 usually works for me. don't try to be too attacking as this is where you'll fail if you haven't got the quality players teams will often hit you on the counter. try to blend attack and defence, a solid defence will always help.

jagginman; thanks for the advice; btw im already in the prem so.....
aannddyy; thanks, I'll have a look on the free market for a good cb, but I'm also manager of Ivory Coast so what do you think about signing Sol Bamba?
Riiseeee; I have been mixing the likes of paterson,edgar and obolo with the likes of keane, frimpong and livermore.

Stop using such attacking formations, you are Burnley not Barcelona, you might have to play boring football but that's what will keep you up! Plus you should have signed some better players, definitely a CB at the very least..

Try these tactics - http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/foot...fm09-tactics-now-football-manager-2011-a.html - make sure you use match preperation too, you need your squad to be comfortable with whatever tactic you play, if they aren't you will continue to lose.

To be fair though staying up in your first season is tough.

Exactly this. It's fine using these tactics but when you're a below average team that's just been promoted to the EPL, those kind of tactics won't work against the bigger clubs. I download lots of tactics to see how they are different and how they work and to mainly see what changes I could make to my own tactics. It's far better creating your own rather than downloading them.

If you do carry on using downloaded tactics make sure you tweak things like tempo and creativity - I'm sure Barcelona has a bit more creativity than Burnley!

A good defense is a good offense.

If you're playing basketball :p

I agree that this an example of why developing and tweaking your own tactic is preferable to dumping a pre-loaded file onto your players. The only other thing I have to say is, how much are Wayne Bridge and Raul (is that Schalke's Raul?) costing you in wages? Because my half-experience / half-prejudice is that Man City rejects and players due their bus pass will rarely do much except devour your wage budget.

If you're playing basketball :p

I agree that this an example of why developing and tweaking your own tactic is preferable to dumping a pre-loaded file onto your players. The only other thing I have to say is, how much are Wayne Bridge and Raul (is that Schalke's Raul?) costing you in wages? Because my half-experience / half-prejudice is that Man City rejects and players due their bus pass will rarely do much except devour your wage budget.

Or you could get some 6 Ft 8 defender to bang in corners ;) if you want to cheat that is ;) and he will also stop crosses ;)