Dodgexander

Reaction score
Any advice on building a tailor made tactic to suit real life?

I've found that the whole "fluid"system doesn't work when trying to replicate Dyche's tactics in game. On one hand you would think the team defends so well as a unit so using"very fluid" makes most sense as every player including the centre forwards need to join in defending. At the same time though whilst defenders do sometimes join in attack they don't as much as the other way round.

But this isn't the main issue. It's more that by playing a fluid system creative freedom is also increased and this isn't at all representative of the tactics in real life.

There are instructions to be more structured, keep narrow, deep and be less expressive which should help a little but still I cannot find a winning formula in game.

I'd like to be realistic and not defer to just using another pre made tactic this year. To be able to frustrate opposition and to nick one goal victories just the same as in real life.

So far I've tried employing both 4411 and 442 just the same as in real life but can't find a winning formula.

One of the reasons I seem to struggle is defensive frailties, despite having a good goalkeeper and back four, in the game they are barely rated better than average.

On the other hand our midfield and striker attributes seem to be hang on. Yet I can't find a way to make a working more direct tactic in the game.

Any help or shared experiences?

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

Don't get too tied up with 'fluid' etc, you can create perfectly good hard working defence systems on 'structured' tactics. Pay attention to formation shape and player roles, not forgetting ti's such as short passing that help reduce space between players.

eb50Vyk.png

uZOrPNX.png

This is my feeble attempt to represent it with both player and team instructions.

It makes sense to try and build my team around Defour who is clearly the best player, yet there are some aspects I can't seem to get right in the match engine.

Here is my 4411:

HMwxiRm.png

Last edited:
I don't know if I would be going with Very Fluid. And Defensive seems a bit too risk-adverse. I'd probably go with Fluid-Counter or Flexible-Counter. Getting the roles and duties right will probably be the biggest aspect. I wouldn't use a BPD in this type of system, for example.

Might want a read of this: https://community.sigames.com/topic/414887-the-4231-explained/

If you really want to replicate real life tactics, sometimes you need to not get hung up on words like fluid. Also tactics often look different in Fm than on a pitch. Cleon put it that what you see on your formation tab is what the tactic will look like when defending. Attacking will be based on how you instruct the positions and players. That might be something to consider.

Might want a read of this: https://community.sigames.com/topic/414887-the-4231-explained/

If you really want to replicate real life tactics, sometimes you need to not get hung up on words like fluid. Also tactics often look different in Fm than on a pitch. Cleon put it that what you see on your formation tab is what the tactic will look like when defending. Attacking will be based on how you instruct the positions and players. That might be something to consider.

Great read. And very much agree. The fluidity in FM is not what TV commentators talk about when talking about real life tactics. Fluidity affects how close players are on the pitch, overall creative freedom, and how much the players try to contribute to all phases. While having players contribute to all phases of play sounds lovely, its really not how Burnley play and not how clubs in Burnley's situation tend to play.

Even Mentality doesn't always have the impact that some people think. Your roles and duties determine how the side plays every bit as much.

I've read through the advice so I'm trying to apply it myself in game. The tea and busquets guide actually is similar to how I want to play.
I'm trying 42121 wide
I bought the two cms further back to dm to greater represent their ability to get behInd the ball in defence. And compared to the guide pegged the AM back to CM. Now I'm just trying to work out the best way to link my winger and inside forward into the tactic. On the right side it's not so difficult as with an inside winger in front the full back does get forward when instructed.

The same can't be said for the left back though who isn't left with any space to run into with a winger in front.
The thing is I want my left back and left winger to work together whilst maintaining the full backs ability to join in to attack, but not so much that he loses defensiveness off the ball.
I'm debating to either pull the left winger backwards into the ML rather than AML position to see if that means the DL gets forward more. My other thought would be giving my AML (Brady) more of a free role so he moves out of the way more often finding space and allowing the DL to get forward more.
The problem is he's left footed so I am reluctant to have him play as anything other than a winger as I want him to cross into the box to a target man.

The other thing I'm having to think about is the support getting to my TM. I'd like to play him in a support role but I don't think my other players are attacking enough to support him. My CM is set to BBM and I have a Segundo Volante but I don't think it's quite enough. Yet at the same time I can't set my wide players to attack more as I need them in defence.

If I set my TM as attack maybe it will work better but I'm scared he'll be isolated.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

eb50Vyk.png

uZOrPNX.png

This is my feeble attempt to represent it with both player and team instructions.

It makes sense to try and build my team around Defour who is clearly the best player, yet there are some aspects I can't seem to get right in the match engine.

Here is my 4411:

HMwxiRm.png

Seems daft but why you have clear ball to flanks, Brady isn’t the tallest and not sure on gud. Unless you have the strikers to drift wide to win these?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seems daft but why you have clear ball to flanks, Brady isn’t the tallest and not sure on gud. Unless you have the strikers to drift wide to win these?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think it was to get the team to use this in set plays especially so my target man who is instructed to stay up can find space to hold on to the ball and draw the opposition out to the wing effectively creating space elsewhere.

I also thought that by clearing to flanks it gives less chance of the opposition recycling positron.

I'll try it without though because in practice I don't think it's doing any of this.

I notice now in the shared tactic section that no ones really choosing tactics with wingers or target men and this doesn't really surprise me from what I've noticed in the match engine.

I also saw that formations with 2 centre backs is notorious for defensive frailties which probably explains why I struggle so much sitting back a lot.

Sent from my ZTE A2017 using Tapatalk