dazamfc

Reaction score
View attachment 143007
6/7/10
Lennon Out, McNeil In!!!!!

In amazing scenes last night at Celtic Park, Neil Lennon resigned as Celtic boss and was replaced by club legend Billy McNeill. McNeill, who captained the Hoops to European Cup victory in 1967, will take over immediatley and try and get his team ready for the start of the season.

Celts chairman Dr John Reid and Chief Executive Peter Lawwell called a press conference last night and announced the man, who fans still call ''Caeser'', would be taking over on a temporary basis and then the club would decide who would get the job at a later date. Also Lawwell stated that Lennons main backroom staff would be following the Ulsterman out of Glasgow. These men will include Johan Mjallby, Alan Thompson and Gary Parker.

McNeill will start a fresh and have his own backroom staff. He has already announced who will work closley beside him in his spell at the club. Danny McGrain will be his number 2 with Chris McCart as his First Team Coach

Lots of Celtic fans, old and young, gathered outside to welcome their new manager back to the club. About 400 gathered outside at 11pm in the cold and damp Glasgow weather to get a glimpse of McNeill standing at those Parkhead doors with the green and white hooped scarf raised aloft. Heres what some had to say-

I am 64 and I remember Billy playing under big Jock Stein back in the good old days. Now I hope he will come in and kick some of these current numpty's a**es into shape.The players back in the day wanted to play for the club, fight for the club and win for the club. Now a days the players train every day, play every week and then go for their wages. And the 3rd one is the one they look forward to. Big Billy will soon change that.

I am only 15 but my dad and grandad have told me about when Billy used to play for Celtic. They said that he was a solid player who was Celtic through and through. That is the sort of manager we need at the club. Someone who want to win leagues, cups and games against Rangers. I can see Billy come in and win us the league this season and give Wattie Smith a last season to forget.

View attachment 143037
McNeill Makes Double Swoop

Billy McNeill today swooped for two highly rated youngsters. First of all he signed England Under 21 and Watford goalkeeper Scott Loach. The youngster, who is 22, cost the Hoops £1m but McNeill says that it is worth the money and Loach will tured out to be the best Celtic goalie since a certain Paddy Bonner was strutting his stuff at Parkhead.

The second of the two signings is even better than the above one. McNeill beat off Barcelona, Chelsea, Liverpool and Man Utd to sign 18 year old Czech Republic wonderkid Vaclav Kadlec. Celtic will pay £2m up front and £2.5m in 48 months for the striker who Caeser hopes will become the new Henrik Larsson at the club.

The £2m signing from Watford

Is this man the new Larsson?

Auld Backs McNeill

Lisbon Lion Bertie Auld yesterday backed his friend and former team mate Billy McNeill in his new job as Hoops manager. Auld, who was promoting the Hampden Football Museum at Hampden Park, said that McNeill will do a great job in bringing the glory days back to Celtic Park.

The former Celtic striker said he had been round at his friends house the day after he got the job for dinner and he was astounded with the plans and ambition shown by the new manager. "Billy showed me plans he had with transfer targets, training schedules, tactics and all that stuff. The time he has spent and the work he has put into it is unbeleiveable. I was blown away with it. He really knows what he is doing. Some of the transfers he wants to make are very surprising for a club of Celtic's stature but Billy will do all he needs to to make it happen."

Auld also played down the romours that he would be back at Celtic Park as part of McNeill's backroom staff. McNeill has already made Danny McGrain his assistant manager and Chris McCart his number 3 so Auld says there is no room at the club for him. He did admit however that if he was asked he would seriously consider the offer.