Can any one advise on ......

• Thread starter Thread starter Gaz1984
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 6
  • Views Views 924

Gaz1984

Reaction score
A way that I can get my Derby team winning games.

Had a great pre-season, but won one in 7 league games and find myself down in 18th.

Playing 4-4-2

Any ideas?

Do you have any REAL fast players? If you do, place them in the front and try some counter attack..

If you have fast Full-backs then let them, run on with the Wingers/ Lm and RM and they can get back easy too.

To be honest my side lacks any real pace so I have been playing direct up to Hulse and Villa, and bringing on Ellerton at about 75min.

I will have a look at Commons and Teale and see what occurs

Choose a tactic and stick to it. Changing it too often might confuse the squad.

Teale is the only real Derby player with pace, I spent £2.5m of my budget on McIndoe as Commons is rather slow. I also found a player called De Coz from spain which I got for £130k and he's a lot better than Connolly. If you want a bit of pace upfront then use Varney playing off Villa. I'd also suggest bringing in a better DM than Savage and Green but the trouble is I'm having a hard time finding one. :(

I showed Pereplotkins the door and terminated his loan because he's awful and sold Pearson, Bywater and Camara. I keep trying to sell Claude Davis but when he recovers from injury, days later he's back on the table.

I play a direct 4-1-3-2 formation, focus the passing down the middle and keep it quite narrow. A lot of my players are still trying to gel so I'm playing defensive football untill they have.

GK: Carrol
RB: De Coz
LB: Stewart
DC: Leacock/Albrechtsen
DC: Nyatanga/Albrechtsen
DM: Savage/Green
CM: Barazite/Green
MR: Teale/Sterjovski (Barnes when fit)
ML: McIndoe/Commons
ST: Villa/Hulse
ST: Varney/Ellington

Only played 3 league games, won 3-0 at home to Watford and 3-1 away at Blackpool but drew 3-3 with Barnsley at home through sloppy defending. Just had a 5-0 win away at Forest in the league cup so things are looking positive.

I'm not very good at FM09 so I can't really give any sound advice, but try reading through the Tactical Theorems and Frameworks '09 document here and see if it helps - http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/downloads.php?do=file&id=139

Last edited:
Teale is the only real Derby player with pace, I spent £2.5m of my budget on McIndoe as Commons is rather slow. I also found a player called De Coz from spain which I got for £130k and he's a lot better than Connolly. If you want a bit of pace upfront then use Varney playing off Villa. I'd also suggest bringing in a better DM than Savage and Green but the trouble is I'm having a hard time finding one. :(

I showed Pereplotkins the door and terminated his loan because he's awful and sold Pearson, Bywater and Camara. I keep trying to sell Claude Davis but when he recovers from injury, days later he's back on the table.

I play a direct 4-1-3-2 formation, focus the passing down the middle and keep it quite narrow. A lot of my players are still trying to gel so I'm playing defensive football untill they have.

GK: Carrol
RB: De Coz
LB: Stewart
DC: Leacock/Albrechtsen
DC: Nyatanga/Albrechtsen
DM: Savage/Green
CM: Barazite/Green
MR: Teale/Sterjovski (Barnes when fit)
ML: McIndoe/Commons
ST: Villa/Hulse
ST: Varney/Ellington

Only played 3 league games, won 3-0 at home to Watford and 3-1 away at Blackpool but drew 3-3 with Barnsley at home through sloppy defending. Just had a 5-0 win away at Forest in the league cup so things are looking positive.

I'm not very good at FM09 so I can't really give any sound advice, but try reading through the Tactical Theorems and Frameworks '09 document here and see if it helps - http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/downloads.php?do=file&id=139

Nice one will give it a try, spent all my funds on Rosiner from Reading for 2.7m, sold Camera, signed Addo can't remember where from.

Playing 4-4-2 as I said I will take your advice and see what happens

Back