Can I fit these players into a balanced formation?

maxchaplin55

Reaction score
Ok, so I have been trying to fit certain players into the same formation as they are my best.

I know it'd be a lot easier with pictures, but I'll provide a rough description of the players.

2 strikers, one quite one dimensional in the way that he is a poacher, at a push an advanced forward - the other a creator, so a false 9, maybe DLF (s), potentially CF (s).

Right Winger - Adama Traore so MR or AMR, as a standard winger, preferably on attack, not essential though. - been best player each of my 4 seasons.

2 central midfielders, one complete midfielder, more defensive but capable of performing any role really, can also play DM. And one more suited to being a playmaker but also has physical attributes to perform a more industrial role.

I have decent enough depth in other positions to fill in elsewhere, but I have been playing around to try and fit them all in. I have been using a standard 442 for my 4th season but it's turned to be my worst season yet, and after watching most games on full/comprehensive, I am trying to leave 442 behind me.

I appreciate any ideas.

Sounds like a 442 is exactly what you want, unless you can squeeze any one of the 3 into other positions.

Ok, so I have been trying to fit certain players into the same formation as they are my best.

I know it'd be a lot easier with pictures, but I'll provide a rough description of the players.

2 strikers, one quite one dimensional in the way that he is a poacher, at a push an advanced forward - the other a creator, so a false 9, maybe DLF (s), potentially CF (s).

Right Winger - Adama Traore so MR or AMR, as a standard winger, preferably on attack, not essential though. - been best player each of my 4 seasons.

2 central midfielders, one complete midfielder, more defensive but capable of performing any role really, can also play DM. And one more suited to being a playmaker but also has physical attributes to perform a more industrial role.

I have decent enough depth in other positions to fill in elsewhere, but I have been playing around to try and fit them all in. I have been using a standard 442 for my 4th season but it's turned to be my worst season yet, and after watching most games on full/comprehensive, I am trying to leave 442 behind me.

I appreciate any ideas.

Sounds like a 442 is exactly

o.png

Sounds like a 442 is exactly what you want, unless you can squeeze any one of the 3 into other positions.

I struggled all last season to make the 442 work, this is how I am lining up starting 5th season.

GKd
FBs CDd CDd WBa
Ad
Wa BBMs WPs
APs
AFa

Control/Standard - Flexible
Slightly high line - Offside trap - Shorter passing - Fairly narrow.
WP cuts inside - FBs crosses more often.

I have had an OK start (with Villa). Am waiting for them to become used to the tactic change before making any real decisions/acknowledgements.

One thing I am considering is moving the Anchor to left side, BBM to right side and my front two central - your thoughts would be appreciated.

It's difficult to just see the shape of the formation. As long as you don't leave big gaps, it should be fine though.

Last edited:
It's difficult to just see the shape of the formation. As long as you don't leave big gaps, it should be fine though.

Yeah apologies, I did lay it out however when I posted it laid it out differently, the A was central as was the BBM and so I felt I was easily exploited in gaps between central midfield and flanks, trying to make a 4231 work now - thanks for help though.

its not working for me i dont know if typing it will help

4-1-2-2-1

Gk-d
fb-a
cd-d
cd-d
fb-a
dm-d
dlp-s
ap-a
if-s
if-s