Can Players Unlearn "Dwells On Ball"

• Thread starter Thread starter Mallets
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 5
  • Views Views 11K

Mallets

Reaction score
Can a player unlearn "Dwells On Ball" from tutoring?

I know that one cannot unlearn this move by being asked. But if a player that doesn't have this PPM, and he tutors someone who does have this skill... can the player unlearn the move?

Even though it's meant to be a negative PPM... I know some folks like this move, saying it can help a very skilled, creative player. However that's not the case with the player that I'm looking bring it. I'm managing Liverpool, and I'm looking to bring in Ivan Perisic. I really l like this kid... however, seeing that both his decisions & creativity values are 9 (or something around there)... "dwells on ball" is going to kill him... and the team... and me!

Im quite sure you can unlearn that skill PPM by being asked.

So you can ask players to unlearn it... but it can only be learned through tutoring... is that correct?

Cause I've read several places that it can only be learned through tutoring. I just assumed it had to unlearned through tutoring. However, if you can ask the player to unlearn it... then that'd be awesome! If this is the case, I'm definitely getting Perisic!

Last edited:
Thats correct but you have to consider that some players are "not capable" of unlearning some PPMs. You can still force him even if your coach advises against it. I dont know the success rate when he is less able to unlearn.

It's very difficult to unlearn ppms, much more so than to teach them. I play as Dortmund and Perisic is a great player, excellent in the big games and brilliant in the air. I play him as a wide player so the 'dwells on ball' ppm has less of a negative effect, and it utilises his aerial ability as he gets in at the far post frequently. He also tries first time shots so if he is played in an advanced position there is more chance of him shooting straight away than dwelling on the ball

It's very difficult to unlearn ppms, much more so than to teach them. I play as Dortmund and Perisic is a great player, excellent in the big games and brilliant in the air. I play him as a wide player so the 'dwells on ball' ppm has less of a negative effect, and it utilises his aerial ability as he gets in at the far post frequently. He also tries first time shots so if he is played in an advanced position there is more chance of him shooting straight away than dwelling on the ball

So should I wait till he's settled in at Liverpool? Will it help improve chances if he's happy or likes me or whatever?

Great info Fuelledbypassion! That's was some of my thoughts. Thought the same with playing him wide... for headers he'll match up with a fullback (and he already seems a beast with headers). And I was wondering it the "Tries First-time Shoots" would help alleviate "Dwells On Ball".

Hoping I can make my Liverpool front can appear as

------------- Suarez ----------------

Gaitan ------ Gerrard -------- Perisic

And I could see Suarez and Perisic switching positions... with Perisic having better finishing, composure, heading, pace, & acceleration. And honestly, Gaitan to take Gerrard's place, with Henderson filling in if need be. Or Borrini can play CF, with Perisic and Suarez out wide.

Now I'm pumped... even if he can't unlearn "Dwells On Ball".

Back