Can someone give a guide on sliders please?

Reaction score
Thought it might be beneficial if someone explained the sliders to us. What does, for example, -2 mixed passing look like as opposed to +2? If a player, let's say full back is on Support, then where will he's starting line be? In-line with the CB's, or the DMC? Does attack mean he'll line up almost on the right wing? What about midfielders? If someone has an attacking role, forward run as mixed, where will he most likely be positioned? Will he automatically take up a higher starting position, let's say AMC territory? And, what if the CM is attacking and has forward runs often? Where is he's likely position going to be, AMC, or perhaps even right up with the striker? What does moving into the channels really look like on screen? I know to some this will be basic stuff, but I thought it would be good to have the sliders, and the consequences of them explained, by some more experienced tactic makers.

I always seem to do well on FM, but, if I'm honest, I find that I can eventually make a tactic and be successful with it, but like most, I couldn't actually explain why. Let's say I want to emulate the last Chelsea match I watched, it very rarely looks how in play, how I imagined it would, despite my best efforts. Maybe that's a match engine thing, I don't know.

It'll be good to know, because the sliders are obviously linked, and some common sense things, such as, no point having counter attack and direct passing if playing a high line, should be bread and butter stuff, but I'm aware it's not to everyone, and I know there are better people out there to explain these things than me. I really hope this sparks some discussion. It'll be really good if you could actually visualise what each click does.

Hope this makes sense, as I know for a lot of people tactic making is difficult as they don't understand the logic and correlation between sliders. The Better Half, you know you want to explain this!

So, if someone could explain team sliders and individual player sliders, in relation to each other, that would be really helpful!!

Last edited:
There is no guide as such. You can Google "TT&F FM", a document on which the TC is based on. If wanting fiddle with the sliders, just look at them as this. If I was to write a small but good enough "dummy", it would probably take me a couple of months :D

Mentality
The higher, the more high up in his starting position he will be ( in relation to his position, DMC, MC, AMC etc)
It also decides his tendency to carry out defensive or attacking duties. A player on 20 in mentality will make more runs from deep than if he is given 1 in mentality, even though they have been set to the same value in runs from deep

T-balls, Crossing, Runs from deep etc

HIs tendency to look and try this option

My best advice: Dont fiddle with the sliders as such but instead, try to understand the concept of what each and every setting in the TC means. Have a look in this thread ( you have to be a member at SI to read it though)

Sports Interactive Community

Back