Can you win with kids?

• Thread starter Thread starter JamieGill
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 7
  • Views Views 1K

JamieGill

Reaction score
Hi guys, it's my first real post on here. I've been lurking and viewing for ages.

I have been playing FM for years, since the days of CM01/02. I am reasonably good at it, I seem to be able to get the best of my players.

I am currently am in the third season with my scunthorpe united team, I've just been promoted back to back and have found myself in the premiership.

I had a £18m budget, which I have spent the majority of it. I had bought Marcus pederson from vitesse for £150k in january, played him as back up, scored around 8 goals then managed to sell him to Blackpool for £7.5m!!

I have signed the likes of Fierro (who I had on loan last season, with a buy out fee of £2.5m, scored 35 goals last season in the championship)

My question is; I don't feel this game is as easy as past games, and I have always done well with regens in the past when getting to the promised land.

I seem to have bought players with 5* potential and current stats of 3*, so they should develop into fantastic players. I am just unsure that I've gone down the right route for the first season, they've not done too great in my pre-season matches.

I still have the same nucleus of players from my promotion winning side, that always seemed to rise to the game in FA cup matches. I just don't wanna rock the boat too much.

What would you do, break them all in the first team gently or thrust them straight in...?

Rgds,
Jamie

are u talking about youngers u brought in or from under 18s/reserves or bot depending on age and stats loan some out for 3 months n the few u dont gladually introduce them to 1t team in tht 3 months then wen the others come bk they'll have game time n match fitness and introduce them gradually to the team, i say gradually so ur team dont get shaken up with all new young players coming in and not being used to playin with ur other players

Most are 20 or younger, couple of them have come through youth ranks, rest I've bought. Stats wise they look good players, but stats don't always paint the full picture.

Good call in keep the majority of your promotion winning team together. I wouldn't change too much, then gradually phase new players in, whilst slowly dismantling your current team. If you rush everything too soon, the players won't gel and you will basically be like QPR in real life, plus if you do get relegated you will probably have alot of high earners you can't afford!

Another thing I was going to mention, I have had a solid settled defence in the last two years. I don't have any star defender who I think will be able to particularly be able to really step up to the plate.

I think I'd have much more chance of staying up if I invested wisely in a solid centre back and a good keeper.

Chris Smalling is transfer listed/loan listed, would he be good enough in that position. I've looked at the likes of Zouma, but they want £15m+

Gary Hooper is available for loan/transfer, so would be an excellent option from the bench, better than what I currently have. I have read lots of good things about him too in the game. I'm tempted to sway towards a year long loan with a future buy out fee (up for £3.2m)

Whenever my squad gets promoted I end up signing some good young prospects and end up playing them in my side fairly quickly. My post-promotion seasons usually start terribly, with the youngsters playing inconsistently but showing some flashes. Normally they'll start to gel halfway into the season and pick up, but I have had to do a second culling of my team during the season because they just weren't improving.

So yeah, replacing more than a few of your players with youngsters is risky, but I find it normally works out ok after a shaky start. You might be better off adjusting your tactics to be more defensive if your back line isn't up to scratch and slowly blooding the youngsters. Nothing more frustrating than watching a young CB botch a pass across your own goal for an easy score.

For me it depends on how good the base stats are. If they are decent and playable, I substitute them in minor games. If they need work. I either keep them in U18, reserves, but preferably send them out to loan until they are 19-20. After that I will play them as much as possible to get them to fully develop before they're 24.

I have learned that it is really hard to win a match if you play more than 2 youngsters. Playing 2 is already risky. Overall, my Arsenal team is very young. I tend to sell my players when they turn 28-29 (I know that's when they peak but it's also when you get the best price).

What i did with Swansea was gradually break in 1-2 at a time whilst fazing out my 30+ year old players

2 games ti the older bloke, one to the younger ones until the younger kid starts outperforming him. European football also helps with the turnover by a long way, more games plus role training equals rapid development

Remember to make them focus on said role as well

I train my wingers on Heavy Winger Focus

With the one game every two weeks they stay fit whilst developing their role and attributes massively

Back