Cannot run game Error. Please please help

Paulo2222

Reaction score
My copy of FM2011 downloaded fine but when I go to start a game I get the following error message:

cannot run game: failed to set up graphics system

I have downloaded the latest version of directX, downloaded the patch and checked that I have the latest updates for my graphics card driver. My computer exceeds the requirements needed to run the game too.

I have also used the DirectX diagnostic tool to get a diagnosis of what the problem might be and have attached the results if anybody can spot anything that I haven't already. I've been trying for over 8 hours now. Somebody please help.

Where exactly did you download it from?

I was having the same problem with the ''graphics error'' pop up, downloaded the patch and it's sorted now and my computer is garbage and nowere near the minimum spec but I'm happy with the 2D... you tried re-installing it..?

Yes, I've tried re-installing it. Infact, i've tried just about everything that has been suggested on various forums. It works fine on my girlfriends laptop which has a much lower spec.

Last edited:
There's some sort of Microsoft frameworks you might have to download, I had to do it for FM10 and FM09 when I got them.. I really can't remember what it was called though, sorry!

Thanks for the suggestion Danny but I already tried that. Cheers Max, i'll look into that.

Make sure everything is updated, as well as the latest patch, install, and restart.

DirectX
.NET Framework 4.0

those are the two main ones for causing graphics failure.

Thanks guys. My DirectX is definately up to date. I've just downloaded NET Framework 4.0 and i'm waiting for that DirectX software development kit that Danny suggested to download. I'll post the outcome incase anybody has the same problems in the future.

Make sure everything is updated, as well as the latest patch, install, and restart.

DirectX
.NET Framework 4.0

those are the two main ones for causing graphics failure.
That's the oneee!

Download that Framework shiz and it should work bud.

13 hours later and i'm still no closer to getting this sorted. I've downloaded NET framework 4.0, the latest version of directX and the patch. Can anyone spot anything in the diagnostic file that I provided that could be causing the problem?

Forgot to mention that I previously played FM2010 on this same computer without any problems.

1014MB ram seems a little low?

It's still double what the game requires as a minimum requirement isn't it? Besides, my RaM caused no problems on FM2010

I have seen a lot of these threads popping up and as far as I can tell they all have one think in common. Intel graphics. Obviously FM11 doesn't like intel graphics very much.

This is a desktop machine correct? Have you considered upgrading to a discreet graphics card?